What's new

Beautiful group of points

intensecrasher

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Messages
258
Reaction score
247
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A frame of nice points that I have mostly found. The obsidian points came from Oregon and were found while I was in the military. There is a small Columbia River Style dart in the bottom left that I also found in Oregon.
The two Pedernales were given to me by my grandfather. I believe these are only found in Texas.
Knife River flint scrappers in the center of the frame and several other Knife River flint points are included.
Enjoy!

P4080007.webpP4080006.webpP4080008.webpP4080009.webpP4080011.webpP4080013.webpP4080012.webpP4080014.webp
 
Upvote 0
That is a very nice collection you have there!
 
That's a really nice collection- and good-looking frames! I haven't seen you name here before, so welcome! Do you still hunt? (and if you do, good luck on your next hunt!) Yakker
 
That's a really nice collection- and good-looking frames! I haven't seen you name here before, so welcome! Do you still hunt? (and if you do, good luck on your next hunt!) Yakker

I still hunt but only in the summer in Iowa. I have lived in California for a long time and dont hunt here (I would like to but its different than home and I dont know any hunters who live here). I am new to the board and have been posting a few things here and there. I will post more in the future!

Plus this state is not artifact hunter friendly....
 
Nice set of artifacts in that frame. Its a shame but allot of the states are jumping on the band wagon about being unfriendly with people that like to hunt points
 
a couple of better pictures
P4080003 (2).webpP4080006 (2).webp
 
What is the name of the one on the far right?

To be honest I am not sure...could be a Des Moines or a Little Sioux. I am trying to learn about the different types of points and identify everything that I have. For some reason I failed to learn about the different types over the years. I spent a lot of time learning about the sites that I hunted on...What Culture lived there, when they lived there, etc. I do know that it is made of Knife River flint.

I have a reference book and a few websites that I have used to determine type....Unfortunately, I see to many similarities between styles and I often second guess myself. Anyone have any tips on learning how to identify different styles?
 
Last edited:
No I dont really know the names either but I sure do like finding them. I found one that looks like it is the reason I asked but mine was in GA.
 
It's easier to type them if it's known where they were found. Where do the KRF pieces hail from? First look at that far right point says Avonlea to me.
 
It's easier to type them if it's known where they were found. Where do the KRF pieces hail from? First look at that far right point says Avonlea to me.

Sorry not at home and its hard to use the phone app. The picture with the three points - they were all found in Iowa.
 
Wow! You have some nice points made of nice material. Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom