What's new

Beautiful Old Pin and 1.3 oz of Sterling!

Ed-D

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
429
Reaction score
810
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good hunt yesterday that included a nice sterling spoon and an old sterling pin. The back reads "Siam Sterling". Siam became Thailand in the mid-1930s, so this pre-dates that time. Eight wheats, oldest a 1919, a couple of buttons and a dollar coin.

Thanks for looking.

4-4 finds.webpspoon.webpspoon back.webppin.webppin back.webp
 
Upvote 32
Congrats on the pin! That is really nice, and undamaged too. Best of luck to you in the field.
 
Sweet finds, but Siam voted to officially change the name to Thailand in 1948 and it went into effect in 1949.
 
Heck yea! Nice finds and the dollar coin darn near makes up for a silver dime. Grats to ya and thanks for sharing. HH ALL
 
That is a really SWEET pin!
 
1.3 oz. - Very Nice!
 
Beautiful pin. Congrats


That is only the second piece of Siam silver I have seen. The first one I found in a lake. It is a sterling Zippo lighter case.
 
Super nice pin Ed. I have never found a silver spoon, so I like that too:icon_thumright:
 
Super nice pin Ed. I have never found a silver spoon, so I like that too:icon_thumright:

That was my first silver spoon. Lots of silver plate, but this one was a first so I was pretty pumped.
 
Sweet finds, but Siam voted to officially change the name to Thailand in 1948 and it went into effect in 1949.

Ok. I just got the info from Wikipedia which states "In 1939, the name of the kingdom, "Siam", was changed to "Thailand"."
 
Heck yea! Nice finds and the dollar coin darn near makes up for a silver dime. Grats to ya and thanks for sharing. HH ALL

Wiki is not a reliable source of fact, and they give two dates, one being 1949. Scroll down one or two to historytoday and you will see that the government voted to change the name in 1948. I am also sure that the name Siam was used on exported and tourist goods for years after. My aunt went there in 1956 or 57 and returned with items she had purchased there that said Siam on them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom