Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha! good one... At my age I'm broke in more than three.
Just got aboard. I'm a lode miner from Southern California. I have a couple of hard ass, hard working and hard headed miners working with me. Awesome team. Hope to have some great things coming up. Hope you don't mind me jumping in.
Heal up quick Lanny!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

You got stories? We got stories! Have you found this yet?

Prospectors Journals

Love to hear and see more about your operation as we have been recently wondering what the life of a hard rock miner is like.
Good luck to you and...Lanny? I hear that writing and submitting gold stories makes bones heal 25% faster. :thumbsup: Get well and get out soon buddy!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear that, Lanny -- hoping for a quick recovery! I've been thinking about you this season, and wondering what plans you might have in that amazing wilderness backyard of yours. You're such an active person, you must be about fit to be tied!

I am about fit to be tied as there's some great bedrock I need to detect! However, this is not an extended recovery that will stop me from getting to the gold in the summer months.

Thanks for the note, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Lanny,
As bcfromfl has offered, I add my thoughts of a quick and full recovery for you! It is difficult to be sitting on the side lines waiting for the coach to call one back into the game but then one must take their turn and return when the timing is right, recover completely and well!...................63bkpkr

Thanks Herb, it's always great to hear from you, and thanks for the kind wishes.

Sitting on the sidelines is always tough, but going with your baseball metaphor, I have been watching a lot of Major League Baseball while I've been healing. You must be a part-time psychic!

I've got access to some nice ground that needs working this season; however, because of my injuries, I'll likely have to cancel a super-trip I had planned for the summer to head far to the north to an area renowned for big nugget finds with detectors, and that's a major bummer, but there's always next season to get that item checked off the bucket list.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer...........Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you...

Thanks, but I'm especially sad about probably not being able to head to the far north of B.C. to nugget shoot this summer.

Drop a note and some pictures here every once in a while, if you get the time, to let me know how your season is going.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny - I wish you a speedy recovery. As laughter is the best medicine, I offer the following to help:

A man enters his doctor's office and explains:
"Check my leg, as there is some sort of problem. Please put your stethoscope against my thigh and listen."
The doctor did as he was told and heard: "I really need 50 dollars."
Next he put his ear to the fellows knee and heard: "I really need money, please give me $100 dollars".
Lastly, the doctor listened to the bone above the ankle and heard: "I could really use a loan for $200".
The doctor searched his medical books to no avail. So the pondered the problem and offered an explanation:
"Your leg appears to be broke in three places."

Thanks for the joke! I had a good laugh, which is what I need as not being able to swing the coil over any nuggets so far this season has been a big zero on the fun scale of gold finds.

As you all too well know, our season to chase the gold is brief as Old Man Winter loves to shut us down far too soon in these northern latitudes. But, the real rain-on-my-party issue will be the likely killing of the chance to get to the northern goodies this season, and that really stinks, but I'd rather get healed up so I can enjoy many more seasons of hitting it hard.

Thanks so much for dropping in to brighten things a bit, and all the best,

Lanny

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, Get well soon. I've been running on quarter throttle since last May (prostate cancer).
Just finished up with internal and external radiation treatment a few weeks ago.
Doc treated me with hormone injections for the first 9 months to reduce the size of my 'walnut' and it kills my testosterone so I'm real anxious to get some muscle back and shed 30 pounds. Going to do more swinging of the coil and less wrestling bedrock this summer. Looking forward to hearing your tales when you get back up and running. I'll post my antics on my blog as I get back in the saddle.
Good luck
Bob
Orofino, Idaho

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, Get well soon. I've been running on quarter throttle since last May (prostate cancer).
Just finished up with internal and external radiation treatment a few weeks ago.
Doc treated me with hormone injections for the first 9 months to reduce the size of my 'walnut' and it kills my testosterone so I'm real anxious to get some muscle back and shed 30 pounds. Going to do more swinging of the coil and less wrestling bedrock this summer. Looking forward to hearing your tales when you get back up and running. I'll post my antics on my blog as I get back in the saddle.
Good luck
Bob
Orofino, Idaho

Thanks for dropping in. So sorry to hear about your struggles; congratulations on making it through all of those treatments as I understand they can be super tough to get through. My hat is off to you. My best wishes on your ongoing recovery.

As for the stories, I've just now been able to get back to be able to do typing with any speed, and I'm happy for that at least.

I hope to get in a little underwater sniping for gold this summer if I'm able, and of course, I'll be chasing those sassy nuggets with my detectors.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha! good one... At my age I'm broke in more than three.
Just got aboard. I'm a lode miner from Southern California. I have a couple of hard ass, hard working and hard headed miners working with me. Awesome team. Hope to have some great things coming up. Hope you don't mind me jumping in.
Heal up quick Lanny!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Hi there, lode mining is something I've never had the opportunity to do, but I admire your courage and tenacity, plus I enjoy your open sense of humour. I'm glad you've got a good crew to work with. Drop in sometime and leave some pictures and a story about some of your hard-rock adventures.

Not a problem at all to jump in. A lot of fine prospectors and miners drop in all the time to leave pictures or stories of their gold-chasing efforts.

Thanks for stopping by to wish me the best, and all the best to you too,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You got stories? We got stories! Have you found this yet?

Prospectors Journals

Love to hear and see more about your operation as we have been recently wondering what the life of a hard rock miner is like.
Good luck to you and...Lanny? I hear that writing and submitting gold stories makes bones heal 25% faster. :thumbsup: Get well and get out soon buddy!

Hi Jeff, I just finally got to the point where I can type again, so I appreciate your advice to try to write some stories to heal up faster. I'll have to see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

As for getting out to chase the gold, I truly can't wait, but it will be a while yet.

I hope you're already out there getting some gold, so all the best to you, and thanks for checking in to see how I'm doing,

Lanny

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take care Lanny as us oldies don't heal up as fast now. I have all the faith in the world your AB summer will shine with that golden glow your so well known for. Your magic fingers, camera and mind have provided so much over all these years. MUCH respect as always-John

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny...I never thought about what you may have broken when I wrote that so I see now that certain broken bones could be detrimental to typing. :laughing7:

I've been out on a short and close trip once this year and found a bit of color...enuf to dial in the sluice and Miller Table...but that will all have to wait as my 2016 season is on indefinite hold as well. My Mom got sick in Jan (at almost 90) but sadly passed last month despite of all our best efforts. The old saying "God works in mysterious ways" soon applied as she left us with just enuff money (exactly in fact) for us to move out of the travel trailer and into a home .2 of a mile away. Every single thing the home needs we already have in our storage unit and can now get out of that $$$ pit too. It's where we want to be for the rest of our lives and in a super and SUNNY location. 8-) She always wanted that for us and I know she would be thrilled.

Who knows, maybe your break kept you out of much more serious mischief afield ??? Take care Lanny and start in on that low impact water prospecting therapy as soon as your able. I've found it cures all three...mind, body and soul. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lanny, I too am sure sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you mend up quickly and soundly. I sure enjoy the writings of your adventures in the wild while prospecting.

Mike

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny, I too am sure sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you mend up quickly and soundly. I sure enjoy the writings of your adventures in the wild while prospecting.

Mike

Thanks Mike for dropping in. I really appreciate it, and thanks for letting me know you've enjoyed my writings; it means a lot.

All the best,

Lanny

alexau

May 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedrock and Gold The mysteries

"Twas, the week before Christmas, I was searching for Gold. A piece big enough, I could pick up and hold. The Rivers were flooded by late season rain, I searched, and I wandered with Gold on my brain. I went down a trail, I had been there before, dug down to bedrock, in a hole, by the shore. I looked on the hill and what should appear? Another gold Miner and a 12 pack of Beer.

We sat and we talked about things we had found, He spoke of a nugget weighed almost a pound. the hours just flew by, up on that hill. the wind had picked up and gave me a chill. as I gathered my gear to head on my way, he turned and he looked as if to say, " the days almost over its the end of the week, may you find your fortune in the treasure you seek, The richest of gold that youll always find is with family and friends at Christmas time". Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas to all and to those of my friends living in Arizona.... SEE YOU SOON

Jen

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take care Lanny as us oldies don't heal up as fast now. I have all the faith in the world your AB summer will shine with that golden glow your so well known for. Your magic fingers, camera and mind have provided so much over all these years. MUCH respect as always-John

Thanks John! It's always great to hear from you. My mind still thinks I'm 20, but some days my body just doesn't care much anymore, so I hear what you're saying. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments about my posts, many thanks.

All the best, and keep chasing that sweet California gold,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have misplaced most of my photographs from Northern BC, but pulled together a couple of short slideshows using the YouTube editor of Atlin. Here is Atlin BC, including some pics of McKee, Consolation, upper Spruce and Wilson Creeks. No massive nuggets found by me, but I assure you that it was not for lack of trying...

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have misplaced most of my photographs from Northern BC, but pulled together a couple of short slideshows using the YouTube editor of Atlin. Here is Atlin BC, including some pics of McKee, Consolation, upper Spruce and Wilson Creeks. No massive nuggets found by me, but I assure you that it was not for lack of trying...

Superb, superb job! Really liked the soundtrack, too! I'm ready to pack my bags!!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fantastic job! Incredible pictures of a place that is still on my bucket list when I'm able to go. I loved the "virtual" tour you put together. You did a great job on the videos and allowed me a sneak peak of the region.

All the best, and thanks for posting it to this thread as it's really helped to soothe my itch to get back to the gold fields,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Superb, superb job! Really liked the soundtrack, too! I'm ready to pack my bags!!

I'm with you, ready to pack my bags when I'm able to get there.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread