Bedrock ?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be an old river channel. Might be worth checking out. Gold isn't always found around water. I have a claim where the pay dirt is about 100 yds from the creek and about 60 ft higher than the creek. I know of another claim that is about 200 ft from the top of the mountain 400 ft above the creek and 300 yds south of the creek a very high gravel bench. Clean the cracks who knows.

B H Prospector

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome,

Carry a brush that will go into crevices and also a pocket knife can come in handy. I like a rock hammer for areas that look good but I can't easily reach.

Good Luck !!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
screwdrivers, metal rods,hammer & chisel,coat hangers,crevise tool or anything to clean them cracks out-John :laughing7:

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I went out yesterday and took some samples from some cracks brought them home and didn't find any color.
I'm going to go back today and shoot some video to show and see if you agree with my spots.
I'm going to go deeper into the cracks and check some other spots also.

The bedrock is up along and on top of the hillside that goes along the river which is about 50ft high and very steep. The bedrock extends probably 30ft on the top popping out all over the place and then there are houses and a road. So if this was an old river bank it was a looong time ago and if not then that is my question. Would there be any reason for gold to be here just because there is bedrock?

Maybe with the video you will get a better picture.

Scott

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are some pics of the Bedrock.

Attachments

• bedrock1.jpg
    bedrock1.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 10,868
  • bedrock2.jpg
    bedrock2.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 2,150
  • bedrock3.jpg
    bedrock3.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 931

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott,

You're on the right track. Good spots to dig but you need to try to get to the bottom. That's where the bigger and best gold will be. Did you find any in what you did dig?

B H Prospector

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed your post before the pics. Gold is where it is. Just because there is bedrock doesn't mean there will be gold there but that is the most likely place to look. That channel may have flowed through there 5000 years ago. Maybe only several hundred. Where I live in the Black Hills of SD, our mountains were higher than the Hymalayas 1.2 Billion yrs ago. They have changed alot over time abd it's rivers and creeks changed course many times. The Missouri River still changes channels almost yearly. In some parts it is running several miles from where it ran in 1850. So don't let the location throw you. There is a river near by to it makes sense that this is an old channel.

Good Luck

B H Prospector

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't find any color yet but haven't panned everything from this weekend.
I did manage to get into many crevices and get to the bottom of them and filled 5 plastic containers and only went through 1 so far.
There are so many spots to look I will be making many trips there and it's only 8 mins from the house. I'm gonna have to get a small vac. to help me pull out the dirt from the crevices.
It does get discouraging after several trips and many hours of digging to not find anything yet but I'm not ready to give up on this spot. ???

Scott

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great news, found GOLD!!!!!!!!!!! :hello2:

The problem is there is no black sand and it is so small I was not noticing it but luckely I panned the dirt into another bigger bucket. I did have a few bigger flakes that I could pick out with tweezers.
How am I going to get all these flakes out? I tried panning but most of the flakes were washing out when I got down to hardly anything in the pan.

Also I remember the spot I got these from and I dug down in between two big bedrock pieces that were on a slope. I figured at some point in time when there was water going down between the rocks it had to be deeper in the ground. I only dug down about 30" and didn't hit bedrock bottom so I'm hoping that I will find bigger pieces.

Scott

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!!! To get the gold pan it down as far as you can and tap the edge of the pan where the ripples are. This will get the gold down to the corner. With not too much water in the pan gently swirl the lighter dirt to the left. Once you see the gold separated from the waste again tap the pan but this time on the upper right side of the pan. You will see the gold starting to walk away from the waste material. Then use a sucker bottle to suck up the gold. If you don't have one a large eye dropper or baby medicine applicator would work. Then just dump it into another little bottle for safe keeping. Don't throw out what you already panned. There is more gold in there.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
scott3165

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will give that a try, thanks!
Can't wait to go back this weekend and dig a little deeper, hopefully find some pickers!

Scott :icon_thumleft:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD WORK.
YOU ARE IN A GOOD PLACE, BUT DON'T FAIL TO CHECK OUT THE BEDROCK IN THE STREAM, WITH THE SAME METHODS.

JUST REMEMER, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL OF THE DIRT FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE...
YOU DON'T HAVE ALL OF THE GOLD, IF YOU DON'T WANT THE SMALL GOLD YOU MAY MISS MOST OF THE MASS. EVERY SPEC HAS VALUE AT TODAYS PRICES!

HAPPY HUNTING AND MAY THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PAN TURN YELLOW.
PROSPECTORMIKEL
:coffee2:

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will the big loose rocks in the stream catch big gold the rocks you have to flip over and look under

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you rig a gas leaf blower to suction the cracks? Sort of a dry land suction dredge nozzle perhaps?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
will the big loose rocks in the stream catch big gold the rocks you have to flip over and look under

If they are really big yes...half the size of a car or larger. Smaller stuff moves during big storms so not as effective a gold collector.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you rig a gas leaf blower to suction the cracks? Sort of a dry land suction dredge nozzle perhaps?

Sure, there is such things. Gas powered works best...a gas powered shop vac is what you want really, mounted on a bucket.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a spot I would check out too.
Be super careful but try to Mabe pry some of them boulders loose.
If you find decent gold there it may be an excuse to upgrade to a highbanker :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread