What's new

Been pretty sanded in around here, no gold but a cool badge I could use some ID help

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
3,199
Golden Thread
1
Location
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty sanded in around here, no gold but a cool badge -SOLVED!

Took advantage of what may have been the last nice day and was able to squeeze in a beach hunt. It's been pretty sanded in most places around here but there are still some little clusters that pop up from time to time, just alot of walking between 'em! I hit like 3 different areas that night, found a bit of clad, what may be some old lead bale seals and plenty of junk but the best was the cool employee badge. It's in great shape with plenty of detail but I can't find anything about it or the company represented by the initials "T&LDD CO" haven't found squat on it so I'm hoping somebody here might know more or have a good resource to check. No idea if it might be from a local company of if it migrated here from elsewhere. Looks kinda like a chauffeur's badge or something,like that but it could just as easily be from a delivery driver, hotel workers or something like that. It has no maker's mark on the back that IO can see and looks like it had a single pin in the center that broke off.

Anybody seen one like it before?

Now, how cool would it be to find out where it came from AND who it actually belonged too? Yeah....... Man I love this stuff!

DSC_3792.webpDSC_3793.webpDSC_3794.webpDSC_3795.webpDSC_3796.webpDSC_3798.webpDSC_3799.webpDSC_3801.webpDSC_3803.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Hey Doc, Your very cool badge may be for a "T. & L. Dry Dock Company," shipbuilders or refitters, location unknown but probably researchable. It appears similar to metal employee badges issued during WW1 and WW2 to help curb espionage. I "kind of" base that hypothesis on you finding it alongshore! Sub 8-)
 
Man! That is great! Thanks for the lead, I'll see what else I can find!

Hey Doc, Your very cool badge may be for a "T. & L. Dry Dock Company," shipbuilders or refitters, location unknown but probably researchable. It appears similar to metal employee badges issued during WW1 and WW2 to help curb espionage. I "kind of" base that hypothesis on you finding it alongshore! Sub 8-)
 
Cool find Doc and I think Sub maybe on it!
 
NICE FINDS THERE DOC...
 
Dang, no luck down the dry-dock road so far. You just never know what will pop up around here.....or where the heck it comes from......so much traffic passing trough the mouth of the Chesapeake for centuries..............
 
Tietjen&Lang Dry Dock Company
 
Founded in 1884 in Hoboken NJ, bought out by Todd shipbuilders in 1915...may have kept the name T&L for awhile after. Very cool find!
 
That is a nice badge find. I like it.
 
SOLVED! :icon_thumright:

Thank you Subterranean and huntnva! Think you guys nailed it!

" In 1915, Todd and several associates purchased Robins Dry Dock and Repair Co., the Tietjen & Lang Dry Dock Company of Hoboken, New Jersey, and Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Company, located in Seattle, Washington. With these companies, Todd formed the William H. Todd Corporation a year later, marking the formal beginning of Todd Shipyards' rise to the top of the ship building industry in the United States. "

http://www.company-histories.com/Todd-Shipyards-Corporation-Company-History.html

Todd Shipyard, Washington| Asbestos Exposure and Mesothelioma Cancer

Tietjen and Lang Dry Dock Company sawmill, Weehawken, N.J., March 2, 1917. Photographed for G.E. Tilt & Company. :: New-York Historical Society, Photographs of New York City and Beyond

A bunch of other links too, mostly dealing with lawsuits, many from around 30's-40's when there were some big shipyard strikes going on in NJ and NY at the time. Looks like they hit a wave of mesothelioma lawsuits that eventfully took it's toll on the company, they were later bought by Vigor Industrial in 2010. Great to be able to find out more about it! Thanks for all the help!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom