Before returning that item to its owner....

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Before returning that item to it's owner....

Before you return that found item of value to it's owner do you consider insurance?
If an item is of value and been lost for any length of time the owner has most likely turned it in to their insurance and gotten compensation for it. If this is the case the item found actually belongs to the insurance company. Now I doubt that someone would file a claim on a lost ring or piece of jewelry for a few days but you never know.
Many pieces of jewelry have more sentimental value than monetary, just food for thought the next time you do your good deed.
Happy Hunting. Dan

Upvote 0

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Re: Before returning that item to it's owner....

I would have to vote for giving the item to the owner if possible.

You see I didn't have any insurance on jewerly I had bought my wife. She did sorta of a dumb thing and put 7 beautiful rings (collected while I was in the far eastern countries training with other countries soldiers) on her watch and left them on her friends stairs to help her friend move some furniture so that she could vacuum behind it.

Came back outside and all was gone. Sadly this happened on a military post, and yep was probably a rogue, or perhaps a kid. We ran ads, looked at pawn shops etc. and never got them back.

Still to this day that really sucked. And yes no one to blame but ourselves, however sure would have been nice to have them returned.

This happened on Oahu Hawaii Schofield Barracks, you would have thought on an island you had a chance in a years time to find it in a pawn shop if someone was stealing for drugs or something else, but apparantly not.

Postalrevnant

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KEEP IT

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dekalb33 said:

KEEP IT

To each his own I guess, but if I find something with initials or inscriptions or something I personally wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't at least make an honest effort to find the owner. I don't have the time to check out every police department "lost" list, but I do make an effort to look through the lost and found section of the paper on a regular basis and if I saw something that sounded like what I had found, I would do something about it.

Keeping it is certainly an option - after all, finder's/keeper's can be argued, but I just personally don't feel right about it when I have a way to try to find the owner.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What about a sterling silver Tiffany key ring that says on it please return to Tiffany&Co.NewYork? It has a serial number on it.Anyone know how to trace it without turning it over to Tiffany's? They can have the keys,the ring is mine,for sentimental reasons. :)

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005

My rule is if I can find the owner I will give it back, Im sure its worth more to them than it is to me. A gold ring melt value is prob about 25 bucks depending on the size if that much even. I like to look in the lost and found section and go hunting for lost rings to return.
I always think of what if it happened to me? I would want someone to return it to me. I would give a reward. I have returned rings and a thank you is good enough for me.
But to each thier own

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Personaly I would give it back to the person and have a clean heart. If they claimed against the item, it is up to them to sort it out with the insurance company... offer the insurance to buy the item back.
My heart would be clean. Theirs is up to them, not my problem.... Do the right thing.

God bless
Peter

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First off If the person Who Lost it is a "Regular" Person,
I would try to Return it and Not even Question, insurance.

of course IF the person who lost it is a Govenment Body,
as in the case of Ship Wrecks by the Spanish Government,
A cache of Gold By the Army, Etc.

I would Keep it.

In Either Case. Insurance Companies are Like Oil Companies.
Multi Billion Dollar Companies, who would't think Twice about Ripping off the poor. Therfore, Insurance Companies get NO Respect from me.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last fall I saw a notice on a bulletin board whee a lady lost a $5,000.00 ring in the park and was offering a reward for it. I phoned her several times and left messages that I would look for it for free if she would give me a little more information. She never returned my calls. I found out her insurance company had paid her for it and she just wasn't interested in finding it. So much for good deeds! Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty, what park was that? I try to return jewrly I find, but I don't run any ads. In most states you don't get to legaly keep what you find, but have to turn it over to authoritys. YEAH, RIGHT. ::) ::) I hang on to the rings I find an if I learn someone has reported it lost, I try to look them up. I don't expect a reward. However I do expect a Thank You. Class rings are very returnable.

Sandman

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

The owners insurance is none of my business.

If I get info on something lost, and luck out and
find it, it goes to the owner; or, like Sandman said,
"Class rings are very returnable."

all have a good un..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread