Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A. Yes, the ads, and magazines, and posts here are true. Gold and silver and cool relics and other valuable treasure are found by MDists every single day.

B. You can buy a $5,000 machine or a $50 used machine and find good stuff.

C. Don't expect the silver and gold to jump out of the dirt when you start swinging your coil.

D. See my signature.

E. There is more trash below the soil than good stuff.

F. Somedays you will want to wrap your detector around a tree.

G. Other days you will want to marry your MD.

H. Be willing to try different types of detecting. Also try various locations.

I. Learn how to cut a good plug and replace your dirt.

J. See my signature.

K. Always ask permission to MD on private property.

L. MDing is fun, but it's also work...especially if you are blessed with clay soil.

M. If you are not swinging your coil, you have no chance of finding good stuff.

N. Dig everything.

Last edited:
Good post. Might I suggest

O. Don't expect to get rich or even support yourself off of what you may find detecting.

Very good advice, I'm still working on "I"

the plug and towel trick is a must
that is were and to know when is the key
spend the time and it will pay some research helps get to no the detector what ever it be give it a go

liftloop

our

north side south facing slops are starting to bare brown dry grass but there 2 feet off snow every were else and if you pushed it
blew it
any were there 6 to 8 feet, man is it windy and cold to day and there a storm on the way starting to night till tomorrow night a 24 hour thing...
but it's steel head time around here if you like to fish

north side south facing slops are starting to bare brown dry grass but there 2 feet off snow every were else and if you pushed it
blew it
any were there 6 to 8 feet, man is it windy and cold to day and there a storm on the way starting to night till tomorrow night a 24 hour thing...
but it's steel head time around here if you like to fish

Yeah, I have felt so sorry for you folks dealing with this late mountain of snow. I'm sure your MDs are practically scratching at the door to get out.

Don't you just love the new Whites commercial showing the young guy who holds up a coin and says "it's possible I will pay my way through college"... not even vocational school!

I usually tell someone just starting out, that they will find more change in their couch than they will find on they're first few hunts.

Don't you just love the new Whites commercial showing the young guy who holds up a coin and says "it's possible I will pay my way through college"... not even vocational school!

I laughed when I saw that commercial. I was thinking, Yeah, you'll be up for retirement before you can even cover your first semesters bill :laughing7:

Well, if you go to college on the forty year plan, maybe could be done.....

Always hated the whites commercials

they've always played upon the unsuspecting/gullible

they've always made overblown claims on finds - remember the old whites commercial?? The one where the guy dug a US civil war plate buckle in his OWN backyard (in the suburbs nonetheless!!) and that looked as new as the day it was made - ON TOP OF - the BIG chunky gold ring, walking lib, buffalo, barber, etc. etc. as though it's laying all over/everywhere!?

Misleading is an understatement when it comes to whites!

and OP - you forgot to add "P"

I will NOT take a "shovel" into a park (or on any public property) and dig big gaping holes!!

This IS an important one here new guys/gals

if you want to have the privilege of detecting for yrs to come - PLEASE do NOT use a shovel on ANY public property.

HAND TROWELS ONLY!!

Last edited:
and OP - you forgot to add "P"

I will NOT take a "shovel" into a park (or on any public property) and dig big gaping holes!!

This IS an important one here new guys/gals

if you want to have the privilege of detecting for yrs to come - PLEASE do NOT use a shovel on ANY public property.

HAND TROWELS ONLY!!

I knew I was forgetting somethings. But I knew the fine members of TN would sport things that were missing.

I forgot to add "Q"

NEVER (under ANY circumstance) EVER call a city/county parks/Gov. office to ask if you can hunt PUBLIC lands, parks, etc. that are NOT already posted telling you that it's not allowed.

If the Rules sign at the park, etc. doesn't say anything about detecting being not allowed - DON'T go calling/asking IF you can detect

just do it and fill your holes and make it look as though you were never there WHILE abiding by any posted "rules" in/of the park/etc.

We don't need ANYmore "bans" against detecting just because someone feels like asking IF it's ok when CLEARLY there's no rule posted against it BUT soon will be when the city thinks everyone and their brother is going to dig holes all over the park/grounds.

better add r

Make friends with local liquor store owner....u gonna by alot of beer and batteries...work a deal

I feel like one of our dogs scratching at the door to get out....yep!!

I've been mding for 30 years and am on my 5th detector. I've found that being persistant you can reasonably expect to at least cover the cost of your detector. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do that with mine thru the years.

Always hated the whites commercials

they've always played upon the unsuspecting/gullible

they've always made overblown claims on finds - remember the old whites commercial?? The one where the guy dug a US civil war plate buckle in his OWN backyard (in the suburbs nonetheless!!) and that looked as new as the day it was made - ON TOP OF - the BIG chunky gold ring, walking lib, buffalo, barber, etc. etc. as though it's laying all over/everywhere!?

Misleading is an understatement when it comes to whites!

Lownwolfe, I guess that stick with a box on the end doesn't have Whites written on it. I have been using my current XLT for 13 years with no problems. I have found that big gold ring with a 3 ct ruby and several others with diamonds and emeralds. I have found far more coins than you listed.
Look at it this way, I don't knock other brands of detectors just because I have found just about everything you can find with my detector brand.
Would you advertise that your detector will probably find more junk than gold? Face it, they are in business to sell detectors and they are dam- good detectors. By the way, I noticed you don't mention which brand you use. Frank...

coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back