What's new

Believe it or not, this is a first for me :)

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2013
Messages
1,632
Reaction score
3,078
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 78
My very first one was just a piece of one and I did not even know what it was lol. I was looking at pics posted and recognized the pattern. It pays to read other people's posts. Congrats. Nice one!

My first one was small and I thought more about some fishing equipement than horse bells !
 
They are not as common as some here would have you believe especially an older one like that and in that condition and unbroken. That type of bell is actually called a "petal bell" and often has a numeric size and sometimes a manufacturer on it. If you found one after only two years of detecting and don't live in parts of North America that haven't changed much in the last 200 years you're doing well! Very nice find!

This one has No 1 on the bottom but I can't see a makers mark
 
like every other thing the rarirty depends on the site you hunt. I hunt in a place that has people living since 1650 and were agriculture is still the dominant activity.
So they are not that uncommon here, for about 15-20 hunts :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-12 à 6.05.04 PM.webp

not one has the same note !

for more info on bells :Crotal bells - ukdfd

congrats on your first !!
 
Looks like I got Her "sister" - great find - found two (different styles) - and they still "ring"
 
Awesome bells! I've read in a halfass effort that the ones with horseshoe design on both sides are older.
 
that is a nice looking bell. I have found a lot of pieces and a few bells but only one or two that still ring. The one really small one I found that rings I have hanging from the door knob of my house on the inside. I told my wife to train her dog to ring it when she wants to go outside and the dog now does so I get to hear this bell in the middle of the night and let her dog out. It's the gift that keeps on giving lol
 
like every other thing the rarirty depends on the site you hunt. I hunt in a place that has people living since 1650 and were agriculture is still the dominant activity.
So they are not that uncommon here, for about 15-20 hunts :

View attachment 1234804

not one has the same note !

for more info on bells :Crotal bells - ukdfd

congrats on your first !!

Dude, I wish I had 1650's sites!!! The site this came off of was a loyalist homestead. Late 1700's early 1800's
 
that is a nice looking bell. I have found a lot of pieces and a few bells but only one or two that still ring. The one really small one I found that rings I have hanging from the door knob of my house on the inside. I told my wife to train her dog to ring it when she wants to go outside and the dog now does so I get to hear this bell in the middle of the night and let her dog out. It's the gift that keeps on giving lol

We trained our dog to do the same thing lol. Great idea!
 
THERE IS A FELLA NAME MEDIC WHO DUG AROUND AND FOUND A PRIZE RELIC . A BELL THAT RANG LONG AGO AND FOUND IN A HOLE AND CALLED A CROATAL BELL AS WE KNOW IT.NICE FIND ..
 
I've only found pieces
Nice find! :-)
 
Thank you gents! I can't believe this got 4 pages of replies lol. Awesome :)
 
RM , This is exactly what I'm gonna do when I find my Indian Head cent (11 years and not one !) Yes T-net I have the camera phone ,
and I'll have some of you help me with this picture/computer - After Dad and I finish our move back to Santa Fe . Nice Find !
 
Yep still looking for my first,
 
Are these things regional? I have been detecting for over 40 years, first in Maryland and for the last 30 here in Georgia and I have never found even part of one.
 
Nice looking OLD bell!!!! Congrats on a nice one!!!:occasion14:
 
Might not be a 1or I, but a J?
 

Attachments

  • 1447392108841.webp
    1447392108841.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 86
Other side of mine has nothing. I think ours are same maker though.?.?.?
 

Attachments

  • 1447392296305.webp
    1447392296305.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 86
I'll take some better pics when I get home. I'm pretty sure it No 1.
 
Great it still jingles! It's really cool when you find one that still rings, I found a sleigh bell that still rings about a month ago. Congrats and enjoy!! HH
 
Man, I'd be stoked to find an old crotal bell like that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom