Below freezing metal detecting help

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a chemical hot pack (like the kind put in gloves or boots) on top of battery pack then wrap more insulation around it. Batteries will die off depending on how cold it is , in about 1/2 hour with no hot pack. They are fine after warning up again though. Spare batteries kept close to body help if you dont mind staying out in the cold. I had an old ACE 250 that I ran out to about -8-10 C. It survived a few winters like that. Want some quick fun ?, check school ground or park swing set areas. Almost always change, sometimes a ring.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely going to give that a try. Do I need to insulate the cable at all? I guess I should to be safe so it doesn't crack. Here in Alaska the only places I could hit would be the playgrounds since ground is hard as a rock. They always use gravel at the parks and school playgrounds which works for me! Thanks for the help.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like NWMP stated, the batteries are the main problem. I dig in the freezing temps and have not had any issues. When the ground freezes the season is over for me.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use lithium batteries. They're not affected by the cold and last much much longer.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use lithium batteries. They're not affected by the cold and last much much longer.

Lithium batteries absolutely have performance drops in cold weather. Ask any RC hobbyists who use large LiPo packs in their planes and vehicles....cold days absolutely bring less charge and power. Many run voltage clamps for just that reason.

They do fight cold much better than Ni-Mh or Alkaline...and IMO are the best bet for cold weather.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully we don't get below zero too much coming up and I can test these options out. Wish me luck! If I'm never heard from again, I'm probably frozen stiff somewhere lol

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is - Stoke a nice fire, grab your favorite drink and wait until spring........

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way! Lol. New detector came today. Spring doesn't come til June around here lol. But your idea is probably a good one. I'm just impatient lol

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how do you like the F44? the ground just froze here in MN where I am. I'll be looking at pea gravel and mulch tot lots myself until spring.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Technically I'm not supposed to open it until Christmas. I may just take it out to make sure that it works LOL
Unfortunately it's pitch black here at the moment and too cold for my son to go outside with me. I'm gonna try taking it out tomorrow for the couple hours that the sun is up. I'll post on performance best I can right after using it.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I advise against shorts.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fill the local arena with dirt with lots of old finds and just tell them it's for the upcoming Monster Truck event, then in the spring just go :dontknow:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if the ground is frozen how do you expect to dig?

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lithium batteries absolutely have performance drops in cold weather. Ask any RC hobbyists who use large LiPo packs in their planes and vehicles....cold days absolutely bring less charge and power. Many run voltage clamps for just that reason.

They do fight cold much better than Ni-Mh or Alkaline...and IMO are the best bet for cold weather.

They may have "performance drops" but I'd bet there's nothing better than lithiums. I've used them on winter hikes up Mt. Washington and Mt. Katahdin. The only thing to watch for is condensation.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Check out the brands thread , garrett, there is a guy there from Edmonton Canada, has posted a lot about running in the COLD, Cold, COLD. He detects the sled hills, dose quite well.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Will do.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can dig tot lots. They are always filled with pea gravel here. That's it though.

I never have tried those. As a child I don't recall carrying much cash or jewels

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
"Watch-out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow."

My 1st concert ever, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention :laughing7:

Good luck with the MDing and the move.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread