Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So proud to own this beauty.
Benitoite 1.jpg
Benitoite 2.jpg

Was purchased from Trinity Minerals 1 year ago for a very, very good price. 2 Benitoite crystals with termination capped by a neptunite crystal.

FYI these are also found in Japan in the city of Itoigawa on the west coast. The city is famous for it's jade beaches and boulders, but the real gem is found just outside the city in the mountains. I'll post pictures of that material when I find them on my other device.

OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, found the Japan picture.
IMG_1474.JPG
This was taken at the Fossa Magna museum there in Itoigawa. It's really a fantastic museum. They have a very impressive collection of mineral specimens from around the world as well as jade specimens, jade boulders and more. Absolutely a must visit for any rock hounds visiting Japan. I'm currently doing a write up on our site about my trip there.
The benitoite comes from the Hashidate gold mine area #8, left side of the below image. The jade is everywhere.
IMG_1484.JPG

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! I have a 2cts rough piece that's gemmy somewhere. One day, I'll facet it.

Upvote 0

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those specimens from San Benito county? I believe that gem geometry is only found in that area.

Yes, benitoite of significance is only found in Cali. That piece looks like a nice cutter, it makes a beautiful stone!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread