What's new

Bent But Still Civil War

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2012
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
3,805
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging buddy and I got out for a couple hours this evening and worked a field at a new permission spot. The area was heavily traveled by troops during the war, but we weren't having any luck until I moved close to an old road bed. After digging assorted trash for 15 minutes or so, I got a good deep brass reading. About 10" down, out pops a slightly bend but intact box plate. I haven't dug a plate in a while, it felt good to break my dry spell.

Box Plate.webp
 
Upvote 72
Congrats on the plate. Love the dirty picture! It's a great feeling to roll that history out of the ground. Sounds like it will be a great place.

HH RN
 
That is a sweet plate.
Show us a picture of it once it is cleaned up.
Congrats
 
Very very nice find! I found a box plate a few years ago and I about fell over.

How does the back look with the bend? Is there still lead?

Steve
 
Pretty much all of the lead is still in it, which is nice. When I ran water over it, the plate is very green, I might put it in olive oil for a while to tone that down.
 
Bent or not Its a nice looking plate. I mean its been through a war alone:) Very nice..congrats.
 
Really sweet plate! I bet it was exciting when you saw the US under the dirt! Congrats and HH
 
Great looking plate, congratulations! :occasion14:
 
As requested, here are a couple more pictures showing front and back after washing the dirt off.

Box Plate1.webpBox Plate2.webp
 
Amazing what you can find sometimes hunting the "beaten path". Congrats!
 
My digging buddy and I got out for a couple hours this evening and worked a field at a new permission spot. The area was heavily traveled by troops during the war, but we weren't having any luck until I moved close to an old road bed. After digging assorted trash for 15 minutes or so, I got a good deep brass reading. About 10" down, out pops a slightly bend but intact box plate. I haven't dug a plate in a while, it felt good to break my dry spell.

View attachment 1366256

SWEET!
I swear those things are getting harder & harder to find.

Also yours is in way better shape than my last Box plate (Mine was bent in half & holed through the middle with (a spike?) it still has the hooks tho , you just have to look real close lol)
 
I've only found a half of a US box plate and the lead backing. Mine looked chopped up by something
 
Just wondering , you said " a-while" since your last plate" how many have you Dug

I know some old Timers that have dug 70+ But they have been hunting since the early 70's.

Would love to have hunted back then.
 
I've only found a half of a US box plate and the lead backing. Mine looked chopped up by something

& like me , ill bet your glad to have found it . As "it is what it is".
 
& like me , ill bet your glad to have found it . As "it is what it is".

Yea I felt fortunate to even find that. I had a half to a CS tongue and wreath that was my prior TN days and ex wife got that one
 
Just wondering , you said " a-while" since your last plate" how many have you Dug

I know some old Timers that have dug 70+ But they have been hunting since the early 70's.

Would love to have hunted back then.

I started digging in the mid 1970's and dug hard for about ten years Davers. I hit a lot of incredible, untouched camps and dug a lot of relics, including plates. Went through a divorce and had to sell my collection in 1985, but at last count, I had dug close to 100 plates by 1985. I started up again about 7 years ago, and since then I've only dug 2 box plates (including this one) and a breast plate, with the last previous plate being found about three years ago. Relic hunting definitely isn't what it used to be...... And yes, I guess I'm one of the old timers. ;)
 
I started digging in the mid 1970's and dug hard for about ten years Davers. I hit a lot of incredible, untouched camps and dug a lot of relics, including plates. Went through a divorce and had to sell my collection in 1985, but at last count, I had dug close to 100 plates by 1985. I started up again about 7 years ago, and since then I've only dug 2 box plates (including this one) and a breast plate, with the last previous plate being found about three years ago. Relic hunting definitely isn't what it used to be...... And yes, I guess I'm one of the old timers. ;)

And to further prove how old I am, I forgot to mention the Confederate wreath I found several months back, so that would be 3 1/2 plates. LOL!
 
Yea I felt fortunate to even find that. I had a half to a CS tongue and wreath that was my prior TN days and ex wife got that one

Right now I'm thinking of one of my Favorite Movies 'Say Anything' 1980's " ^I%C^E's Man ^I%C^E's"

CS Huh Hope u get another ASAP, They are everywhere u know ......'For Sale'!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom