What's new

Bent But Still Civil War

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2012
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
3,805
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging buddy and I got out for a couple hours this evening and worked a field at a new permission spot. The area was heavily traveled by troops during the war, but we weren't having any luck until I moved close to an old road bed. After digging assorted trash for 15 minutes or so, I got a good deep brass reading. About 10" down, out pops a slightly bend but intact box plate. I haven't dug a plate in a while, it felt good to break my dry spell.

Box Plate.webp
 
Upvote 72
Marriage & Relics usually don't mix well .

I started digging in the mid 1970's and dug hard for about ten years Davers. I hit a lot of incredible, untouched camps and dug a lot of relics, including plates. Went through a divorce and had to sell my collection in 1985, but at last count, I had dug close to 100 plates by 1985. I started up again about 7 years ago, and since then I've only dug 2 box plates (including this one) and a breast plate, with the last previous plate being found about three years ago. Relic hunting definitely isn't what it used to be...... And yes, I guess I'm one of the old timers. ;)

WOW Fullstock.
You live in VA if i,m not mistaken?
The Main guy I was speaking of hunted Mostly in N Ga, FWIW & I think he said most were breast plates (as they were discarded before Battle).

I have hunted only 1 Virgin Camp A US one & it's like a Drug waiting to see what will pop out next (drops every few feet) crazy but I got no Plates from there.
In many cases Relic Fever has led to many a Divorce , my wife calls my machine "My Mistress ".

I started hunting in 1998 & The Number of relics has greatly fallen since then, Awhile back I started a Thread in CW Called the CW Relic Boom Time has Ended. I gathered that notion after hearing stories , Reading NS Trader Issues from the late 70's through the 80's & 90's.

I feel like I know S Sylvia.

Anyway Great Job on the Box Plate & Hope all those relics you dug in the past are in good hands now.
Gd
Davers
 
And to further prove how old I am, I forgot to mention the Confederate wreath I found several months back, so that would be 3 1/2 plates. LOL!

That's Cool my mind is Gone as my wife ....What ever her name is says.

These day's & older ones Ill take Anything CW & Made of Brass, Eyelets & Rivets Make my Day.
 
That's Cool my mind is Gone as my wife ....What ever her name is says.

These day's & older ones Ill take Anything CW & Made of Brass, Eyelets & Rivets Make my Day.
I can relate to that. We hunted a Confederate defensive position one time on private land and you could see the breast works and cannon inplasements. Didn't find a lot ( been hunted for years ) but just being there and seeing the earth works was a thrill.

HH RN
 
I can relate to that. We hunted a Confederate defensive position one time on private land and you could see the breast works and cannon inplasements. Didn't find a lot ( been hunted for years ) but just being there and seeing the earth works was a thrill.

HH RN

I've got the same thing where I hunt but luckily it hasn't been hunted in years so new technology has really made it possible to get the deeper things others have missed. Crazy thing is whoever has gone out there after I did a few weeks ago clearly doesn't know what they are doing cause I dug 6 .69 mine balls right in a line as you walk on to the property.
 
very very nice bend and all the box plate has eluded me so far.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom