Best and worst situation

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently moved for a job promotion and landed a really old house to rent. It has to be turn of the century. Big yard, long tree line, big trees AND its a corner lot. Well last night in the dark I swung the xterra just to get a feel of what might be there. And so many high tones and wheat/indian head numbers it blew my mind, just in a little 10ft area. It was the most good signals I have heard in a while. Well the girlfriend wont let me detect until we are fully moved in and situated, to make me stay prioritized basically. So I have this excellent new virgin ground rental house and I cant touch it for maybe another two weeks! The ground will freeze soon! Do you think I have time before the ground freezes after that two weeks or am I stuck until spring?

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your address lol?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Ohio I hunted until Jan 3 and then had to hold off until the beginning of March. I dig until the ground is froze.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could say "Who exactly wears the pants in this relationship", but I'm not. Instead I will say reach a compromise by explaining that all work and no play makes Andy a very dull boy. If she is really the right Girl for you then you can get some detecting time in.
I'm old school--------------and have been for 54 years with my very understanding Wife.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL you gonna let a girlfriend tell you what to do?

turn in your man card

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried compromising but shes a tough nut to crack. Im just hoping I can get to digging before freeze sets in. It was 33 this morning so it may be soon. Im also hoping the signals were not all clad but usually with clad I get a jump from 30s to 40s, not a stable high tone and good numbers. Ill try to get out tonight or tomorrow morning/night and see if even a few of the signals were actually accurate. Ill also post a picture of the yard and road to show how it used to be a trail, possibly wagon!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UHHH HELLO

She is sleeping at 4am. Just saying. If you are serious about detecting this is a REGULAR time to start your hunt!

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ohio I hunted until Jan 3 and then had to hold off until the beginning of March. I dig until the ground is froze.

These are my plans for this Colorado fall/winter I am about to endure. Fall is really the start of winter for many of us cold state residents....already 20 last night and 5 in mountain parts of the state.

When water turns to ice....IMO that is winter. Fall be damned.

I plan on digging until I just cannot. Either because the ground it too hard to or I am too cold.

I have my gold prospecting pick to help me along if the ground decides to play mean.

Figure all will be well through December...when January hits and the eastern Colorado wind starts to get 20-30 mph...the white towel will probably have to be raised until late March.

Those are the plans anyways...we shall see what El Nino does.

If I were you I would get at it. Detect when she is gone or sleeping. Or bust booty trying to get moved in earlier!

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan on getting the move done as fast as possible just hard with 7 14 hour shifts right now. I took off for sunday to move so hopefully I can get a uhaul and get stuff going

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Patience grasshopper, those coins will be there in the spring.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever see the "wine and turkey" episode of Seinfeld when they wanted to play with the vintage toy collection that Jerry's girlfriend had. Sounds like she may need a good dose of tryptophan so you can slip outside later in the evening! My goodness do you guys unpack and hang pictures 24/7?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you younguns make me sad

"compromise" sheesh here's your compromise " listen woman, I do what I want and you'll like it. Or find yourself another girlieman"

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly she puts up with a lot already. Not only my metal detecting but my hording of antiques, coins and anything else I collect. Im willing to do some moving before I go detect but like I said I work around 70 hours a week and with moving may not get out right away. Im hoping I can just do a couple test targets on signals and see if any older coins pop up.

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and hanging pictures is a big thing. I have an autograph collection so its around 100 autographs to hang

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered slimming down on the number of hobbies?

I stopped collecting because it took up space and did basically nothing. Looking deep I realized I was hanging on to stuff hoping to impress someone some day with this collection which was just never going to happen.. nobody cares about my collection! This stuff was owning me in the way of space. Sold it all and it was liberating! Stuff == stress.

Detecting does three things for me: 1) It's relaxing mentally yet still makes me think 2) It's exercise and it gets me out of the house 3) I make a little money (not a lot, but it's better than an item on a shelf taking up space!).

Last edited:

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her you want to keep your stuff in "mint condition" & keep them packed.
Set a few of her boxes around, MD while she unpacks her stuff?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you won't have time to be detecting! I use to work 70-80 hours per week too but got burnt out on it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread