Best detector to buy with $150-200

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2 or Coinmaster.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's coin-master...they don't call it a coin master for no-then.

leoeotw

Dec 14, 2012
Upper East Tn
Detector(s) used
BH VLF Treasure Detector, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just upgraded metal detectors from a BH Treasure Hunter and I did a pretty a extensive hunt for one in about that price range. Now I got extremely lucky and got a good deal on a minelab x-terra 70 off craig's list but had to drive an hour each way to look at it. Now it is an older machine (3 or 4 years old) but I am happy with that. If you buy used it will have no warranty so if that is a problem look at some new entry level machines. I think that there are some good machines out there as long as you do not want to do any searching on wet sand (ocean beaches). The Bounty Hunter platinum was one I looked at closely and the Discovery 3300. I passed up on biding on a teknetics Delta 4000 that went without a bid at .99. yes .99 plus 15.00 shipping! So make ebay your friend and look it closely for off the wall no reserve auctions that could net you a good entry level machine for low money. I all so looked for other forums that have classifieds but some times you must be a member to contact the seller on the forum. There are also some good deals on the main ones such as the fisher F2, ace 250, and whites coin master. cruise youtube and look at some in action to see what machine you might like this helped me a lot plus looking at the owners manual on line to see what features you might like and how easy it is to use. Always look a kellyco and use their compare feature plus they have some good combo deals. Also make sure you look over the selections the sponsors of this site offer too. Leave no stone unturned for a good deal. Originally I was really torn between the 250 and the f2. My hunt took about 3 weeks and I still might be at it if had not found the minelab. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Craigslist for an F2 or Garrett Ace. I picked up a used 250 for $160. Use the rest of your cash to save for a pinpointer if you plan on staying in the hobby. I was hooked on my first "ding" on my cheapo BH from hobby lobby and bought the 250 the next day. Now I'm kinda wanting something in the $600 dollar range (at pro or something from ML) but haven't justified the cost yet but the itch is there. My friend has the F2 and when we go out I prefer the 250 as the display and UI just is more friendly for me. Good luck!

noobie

Jan 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd2 tesoro compadre Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett pro pointer tied to a stick.

JK tesoro compadre.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can start with just a detector but you will probably want a pinpointer shortly afterwards. Look at the detectors then contact the manufacturers and see if they have any refurbed units. Sometimes dealers have used pr lightly used detectors.

jollyone

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an ace 250 and then buy a cen tec pinpointer with the clad u will find around 15 bucks

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i Have the 3300 and its a good little machine I also have the cen tech pinpointer with a vibration and new button modification and they both work well for me... I just today found a early 19th century pewter spoon at about 8"

Keep Digging

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, the cheapest of the Garrett, Fisher, and Tesoro detectors would do you good. Technique and perseverance will be your best tools when starting out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread