Best for under $250 in Vancouver BC?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking for a MD that is easy to use and would be good for the conditions here in Vancouver, BC...beach sand and I'm guessing moist soil from all the rain we get. I'd like good depth and EASY to avoid pulltabs. Thanks.

Anything by Tesoro, Whites, Garrett or Fisher will get you there. They'll all take out the pulltabs.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said in your other thread, if you descriminate out pulltabs your descriminating out a lot of gold....

OP
OP
R

rmleider

Greenie
Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up buying a compadre w/ 8 inch coil..and am excited! Should I run it without any discrimination at all to make sure I find gold? Also will be looking for silver, and canadian coins.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ended up buying a compadre w/ 8 inch coil..and am excited! Should I run it without any discrimination at all to make sure I find gold? Also will be looking for silver, and canadian coins.
I have the same machine (wish I had gone w/smaller coil though). I set my disc right at foil & dig any solid non scratchy repeatables.

OP
OP
R

rmleider

Greenie
Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same machine (wish I had gone w/smaller coil though). I set my disc right at foil & dig any solid non scratchy repeatables.

so that means it ignores aluminum? does it still pick up gold?

why do you wish you got the smaller coil? the larger one gets greater depth right. the smaller one is just better for putting the coil in smaller holes right?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so that means it ignores aluminum? does it still pick up gold?
No. It will take out gum wrappers, foil type drink top and such. It will still pick up aluminum trash, pulltabs & gold.
The Compadre like most other Tesoros is very good at identifying aluminum trash by it's audio output. This type of trash and a lot of pulltabs gives off a scratchy sound. Very different to coins and rings where the tone is sharp and crisp.
If you want to ignore aluminum trash & pulltabs altogether, all you gotta do is turn the knob up (clockwise) to just over pulltab. Of course 90% of all gold jewelry just went away too!

why do you wish you got the smaller coil? the larger one gets greater depth right. the smaller one is just better for putting the coil in smaller holes right?

Smaller coil is easier to maneuver around tot lot type structures allowing you to get closer to the metal post w/o signaling off the post. With the 8" I ping those post over a foot away on normal swing speed. I can slow way down and get within 8" maybe. With the smaller coil, you can just put it closer and in more spots.
Depth aint everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread