Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840s Homesite. 8 IHs ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. 8 IH's ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

While out looking for new places to hunt on Easter Sunday with Terry Everly (Teverly on treasurenet) we passed an old place that was empty. After hunting around for the owner I finally managed to get a phone number. Well, today I called and it was a good thing. She said it was fine just to call a farmer who uses some of the land for experimental farming. I told him that I'd be hunting over there and the kind of car I had. Well, I think he followed up on me and stopped by for a few. We had a friendly conversation and he left. He had said that the owner had e-mailed him just after I called her. It so happens that someone had broke out a few of the windows and they were concerned. I said, "no worry". I'll be vigilant and keep an eye out for you.

The place was recently vacated due to an electrical fire in December. The house has been condemned until the necessary repairs are made. That might be very expensive and who knows how long it will sit idle. Better for me ;D

While hunting there tonight I noticed that the place looked familiar. I have and old atlas that my late Grandmother gave me from 1874. Well wouldn't you know I scored in a big way.........again. This is the old John Cranston place, a very influential man of his time with a road named after him for starts. The house was built in the 1840's. The last place I lucked out on was the John McDonald place I hunted for over a year and it too was from the 1830/40's. Every coin in that yard except for 3 were pre-1800.

Now to the hunt. I was able to get in a 3 hour hunt tonight and it was nothing short of constant digging. I like to photograph my finds from the hole but due to too many coins I won't show every dig. I also shot the coins before cleaning them. I won't tonight as I'm too tired. This place, just like the McDonald place will keep me plenty busy all year. The farm is 1000 acres and the house and all of the builings and barn sit on 20 plus. Check out the old heating thing in the picture of the inside. I was able to take a picture through the window. This place is a fortress!!

Here is what I found:
1 large flat button (dandy?)
1941 silver quarter
1918 merc (in bad shape)
1907 V nickle
1911 V nickle
A copper token
3 1946 nickles
a whistle that still works
14 wheats (all from the teens, 20's and 30's
8 Indians: 1 1880, 1889, 2-1890's, 1899, 1901, 1905, 1907
also found a small, intact crotal bell

Now I know there are some largies hiding there, somewhere. However, I have a lot of hunting left. Like to find a flying Eagle and a 3 center which is on my wish list. ::)

Below is a picture of the J. McDonald place which I hunted last year. It was built in 1834. It just finally sold a few months ago after being on the market for 5 years. I hunted that place to death!!

036.jpg

Picture382-2.jpg

Now on to the new place.... John Cranston Homestead

015-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

037.jpg

035.jpg

023-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

028-1.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

014-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

001-9.jpg

002-11.jpg

Upvote 0

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

Great Pics , Great story , Great hunt, Great finds, Outstanding Crazy ! This post has it all ! Thanks for the work you put into this post !! MaineRelic.

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

Great hunt.....nice pics....

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sweet beginning there CJH....I'm sure this place will keep you just as busy.Keep us posted on your future find's there. :icon_thumright:

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III

really great pictures, and a great hunt, keep up the good work

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Theres alot of potential there huh!! Sweet finds so far and looking forward to seeing more posts on this site. 8)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a fun day diggin! :thumbsup:

You left out your side plate find from the list.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome hunt!! Love the pics.

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice hunt, Im sure theres lots more there :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:

Side plate? You mean that curvy thing?? I didn't know what that was. If you can ID it for me you have good eyes ::) Is that why they call you iron patch :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:

Side plate? You mean that curvy thing?? I didn't know what that was. If you can ID it for me you have good eyes ::) Is that why they call you iron patch :D

Many different styles and it looks close enough to investigate.

Attachments

• fig52.jpg
    fig52.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,054

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great digs!! I think those type of sites are all around us. Your timing was just at the right time. Sometimes when a place gets vandilized the owner needs the extra eyes and you get the rewards. Asking never hurts it pays. HH DFW

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:

Holly ???? Didn't even know what I had found

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:

Post a closer picture on the what is it forum and see if someone can match it to a gun. Is there any markings on it?

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:

Post a closer picture on the what is it forum and see if someone can match it to a gun. Is there any markings on it?

I added 2 pics. That's the best I can do. Can't find any marks as of yet. I'll have to look a little closer

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job on finding another sweet place to hunt, and for the finds too!! Should be an awesome year for you...best of luck in 2010!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
Iron Patch said:

I added 2 pics. That's the best I can do. Can't find any marks as of yet. I'll have to look a little closer

The marks aren't a big deal and most probably wouldn't have anything.

Seeing the closer pics I'm now convinced it's a musket side plate.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just cleaned it up a little and did find some markings. Check them out. Thanks for your sensational knowledge on this type of item. I had to dig it out of the trsh can. I threw it away..........then luckily found it again :-\

003-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
I just cleaned it up a little and did find some markings. Check them out. Thanks for your sensational knowledge on this type of item. I had to dig it out of the trsh can. I threw it away..........then luckily found it again :-\

003-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Trash? ;D Oh you're going to hear it now... many guys on here would be very happy to dig that relic! I have only found one and have hunted many early sites.

I can't tell you what the numbers mean, but suspect they're just a part reference so not a big deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread