Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840s Homesite. 8 IHs ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. 8 IH's ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

While out looking for new places to hunt on Easter Sunday with Terry Everly (Teverly on treasurenet) we passed an old place that was empty. After hunting around for the owner I finally managed to get a phone number. Well, today I called and it was a good thing. She said it was fine just to call a farmer who uses some of the land for experimental farming. I told him that I'd be hunting over there and the kind of car I had. Well, I think he followed up on me and stopped by for a few. We had a friendly conversation and he left. He had said that the owner had e-mailed him just after I called her. It so happens that someone had broke out a few of the windows and they were concerned. I said, "no worry". I'll be vigilant and keep an eye out for you.

The place was recently vacated due to an electrical fire in December. The house has been condemned until the necessary repairs are made. That might be very expensive and who knows how long it will sit idle. Better for me ;D

While hunting there tonight I noticed that the place looked familiar. I have and old atlas that my late Grandmother gave me from 1874. Well wouldn't you know I scored in a big way.........again. This is the old John Cranston place, a very influential man of his time with a road named after him for starts. The house was built in the 1840's. The last place I lucked out on was the John McDonald place I hunted for over a year and it too was from the 1830/40's. Every coin in that yard except for 3 were pre-1800.

Now to the hunt. I was able to get in a 3 hour hunt tonight and it was nothing short of constant digging. I like to photograph my finds from the hole but due to too many coins I won't show every dig. I also shot the coins before cleaning them. I won't tonight as I'm too tired. This place, just like the McDonald place will keep me plenty busy all year. The farm is 1000 acres and the house and all of the builings and barn sit on 20 plus. Check out the old heating thing in the picture of the inside. I was able to take a picture through the window. This place is a fortress!!

Here is what I found:
1 large flat button (dandy?)
1941 silver quarter
1918 merc (in bad shape)
1907 V nickle
1911 V nickle
A copper token
3 1946 nickles
a whistle that still works
14 wheats (all from the teens, 20's and 30's
8 Indians: 1 1880, 1889, 2-1890's, 1899, 1901, 1905, 1907
also found a small, intact crotal bell

Now I know there are some largies hiding there, somewhere. However, I have a lot of hunting left. Like to find a flying Eagle and a 3 center which is on my wish list. ::)

Below is a picture of the J. McDonald place which I hunted last year. It was built in 1834. It just finally sold a few months ago after being on the market for 5 years. I hunted that place to death!!

036.jpg

Picture382-2.jpg

Now on to the new place.... John Cranston Homestead

015-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

037.jpg

035.jpg

023-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

028-1.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

014-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

001-9.jpg

002-11.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
I just cleaned it up a little and did find some markings. Check them out. Thanks for your sensational knowledge on this type of item. I had to dig it out of the trsh can. I threw it away..........then luckily found it again :-\

003-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Where and how can I ID the rifle it came from?? I did some research and there must be many types :o

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

CRAZYJARHEAD said:
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
I just cleaned it up a little and did find some markings. Check them out. Thanks for your sensational knowledge on this type of item. I had to dig it out of the trsh can. I threw it away..........then luckily found it again :-\

003-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Where and how can I ID the rifle it came from?? I did some research and there must be many types :o

Post your pictures on the "what is it" forum asking if anyone can ID the markings on an early side plate. I'm not a gun guy which is why I can't help, but I think someone on here will know, or will research and figure it out.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. 8 IH's ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

WOW ~ that's some good finds man! VERY EXCITING! WOOHOO!!!!! Congrat's!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. 8 IH's ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

what a sweet hunt Ron, major congrats!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crazyjarhead said:

003-10.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Never, EVER throw away a find that has not been ID'ed! You are hunting old enough sites that just about Anything could turn up. I have held on to gun pieces and other good finds for a year or more before being able to ID them.

If in doubt, that's what our "What is it?" section is for.

Your best find on this hunt was not the coins. :wink: Good thing you were able to retrieve it from the trash can!

I have only dug one flintlock side plate in 18 years.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

That's the spot!! :icon_thumright: That house is every bit as old as you say it is. I'd guess 1820's. If you have permission to hunt the whole 1000 acres, you'll have at least one or several more sites to hit. Check out any hilltops and hill sides near creeks and springs and you could find a spot with just as much cool stuff and no can slaw or zinc Ball jar lids. :wink: Looks like you've got your season lined up. Congratulations on getting permission to hunt such a cool historic spot. If you need any help, just let us know. :laughing9:

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

D9990

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2007
So California
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT

What a day!! Congrats!

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy Smokes! That's what I call Hunting... :notworthy:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

coinmaster2db said:
That's the spot!! :icon_thumright: That house is every bit as old as you say it is. I'd guess 1820's. If you have permission to hunt the whole 1000 acres, you'll have at least one or several more sites to hit. Check out any hilltops and hill sides near creeks and springs and you could find a spot with just as much cool stuff and no can slaw or zinc Ball jar lids. :wink: Looks like you've got your season lined up. Congratulations on getting permission to hunt such a cool historic spot. If you need any help, just let us know. :laughing9:

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

So far it's been pretty clean........ just the way I like the. I have found some more modern coins but not too bad. The lady told me it's at least 1840ish. Theres a house 1 mile down the road with the date built into the brick, 1833. The 2 look like they may have been built by the same builder ::).. maybe. There's no date on this one but I know the McDonald house was 1834. I don't know if the deed would have a date or not. I don't want to call her back to ask. My atlas (glad I have that) has several more homes in there from Woodstock. They are too 1830's because I have talked to the farmer who owns one and his daughter lives across the street too. He said that they were built by the same builder. I don't think I'll be able to hunt them because he is kind of picky. I tried his daughters house already but she won't answer her door and I know she's home. Oh well, can't blame people for not wanting to answer their doors especially when she's a single women

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice place to hunt!!!!!!! them are some fine finds :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds. I am looking forward to seeing more stuff come out of there.
Dman

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

nice oldies!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks, Neil, Dman, DF and Mr tuff :icon_sunny:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Great finds Ron.

You deserve it man. You do alot of hard work with your research. Keep up the great work man.

HH Jer

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very C8)8) L finds !!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JerV3 said:
Great finds Ron.

You deserve it man. You do alot of hard work with your research. Keep up the great work man.

HH Jer

Thanks jeremy, but your the man :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread