What's new

Best hunt to date: After rain is fun.

Rustic

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
395
Reaction score
663
Golden Thread
0
Location
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The drought had me down, couldn't find anything, my detector just wasn't liking the bone dry soil, but 3 days ago, it poured and things turned around for me:

First, while it was still raining out, I found a 1912 Danish Skilling down at the boat ramp, which was a strange, but nice find, and it gave me the energy to hike way up in the woods by an old cellar hole yesterday and today. I had great fun detecting in the moistened soil, lots of junk but nice finds too:

In an upturned root ball, I found a 1802 draped bust large cent and a tiny jewelry with what I think is a garnet stone. That really got my hope up, cause I thought there might be more if it was a purse spill, but no.

Under a thick root about 6 inches down I found three quarters of a Connecticut copper from 1786 I think. Yes it's worn and broken but it made me super happy to find it!

Also 2 old buttons, one with all its gilt intact,

Last, I found a nice old buckle. I had a great time. I'm heading upstairs to wash off the poison ivy and ticks, but wanted to share. Good luck to all!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160712_165706_kindlephoto-589139598.webp
    IMG_20160712_165706_kindlephoto-589139598.webp
    697.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20160712_171647_kindlephoto-589248456.webp
    IMG_20160712_171647_kindlephoto-589248456.webp
    502.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20160712_180820_kindlephoto-587090836.webp
    IMG_20160712_180820_kindlephoto-587090836.webp
    190.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160712_180841_kindlephoto-587147212.webp
    IMG_20160712_180841_kindlephoto-587147212.webp
    156.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160712_171419_kindlephoto-583921550.webp
    IMG_20160712_171419_kindlephoto-583921550.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20160712_171437_kindlephoto-583890338.webp
    IMG_20160712_171437_kindlephoto-583890338.webp
    181 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20160712_171551_kindlephoto-583797049.webp
    IMG_20160712_171551_kindlephoto-583797049.webp
    324.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160712_171610_kindlephoto-583839968.webp
    IMG_20160712_171610_kindlephoto-583839968.webp
    265.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20160712_171747_kindlephoto-583717484.webp
    IMG_20160712_171747_kindlephoto-583717484.webp
    209.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20160712_171659_kindlephoto-583762614.webp
    IMG_20160712_171659_kindlephoto-583762614.webp
    96.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20160712_171825_kindlephoto-583668071.webp
    IMG_20160712_171825_kindlephoto-583668071.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 54
Very cool! I especially like the 1802 LC, such good condition! :treasurechest::thumbsup:
 
Nice finds! I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy yet time after time I find myself trudging through it in ever pursuit of that next great find. Hope you come out all right
 
Very cool, I like the watch winder(?), and that large cent is immaculate!
 
Great finds I would be very happy with that hunt Good job!!!!
 
Nice finds! I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy yet time after time I find myself trudging through it in ever pursuit of that next great find. Hope you come out all right

I'm really allergic, too, so I do my best to avoid it entirely, but I always shower anyways after a ramble, just in case.:happysmiley:
 
Hi; Clean the 1802 LC VERY Gently on the Reverse. To clean it right let it soak in water for a few days. Then use a wood toothpick and GENTLY "push" the dirt off. This may take several soakings but the end result is definitly worth it ok. If it has what looks like a crack running from the 4:00 to the 7:00 Positions then you have a Die Cracked Variety worth about $35,000. Let us know ok. PEACE:RONB
 
Last edited:
You got some good history there. Great work.
 
That 1802 Large Cent is what I would call a great turn around.
 
Talk about adding a little variety to your life! Great haul!! :thumbsup:
 
Wow !! Awesome hunt !! Love that LC !! Congrats!!
 
That is a really great collection of finds. I appreciate what you mentioned about the poison ivy and ticks....There are some real hazards associated with our preferred hobby
( obsession), but digging finds like yours somehow makes it all worth it. Congrats & HH!
 
Washing poison ivy off with water never works for me. I wash it off with bleach. haven't got a bad case of it in a long time now. Very nice 1802 penny. Congrats
 
Amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
 
Hi; Clean the 1802 LC VERY Gently on the Reverse. To clean it right let it soak in water for a few days. Then use a wood toothpick and GENTLY "push" the dirt off. This may take several soakings but the end result is definitly worth it ok. If it has what looks like a crack running from the 4:00 to the 7:00 Positions then you have a Die Cracked Variety worth about $35,000. Let us know ok. PEACE:RONB

Wow, thank you very much for that info. I had no idea... I will definitely do what you said: I'll soak it and super gently brush off the crud on the back. I sure as heck hope it has that mark/crack running from 4 to 7! That would be awesome. I'll let you know!
 
Great hunt and finds ! Ahhh man ... poison ivy and ticks suck " no pun intended " .... I spray deet all day long and chance few stinkin' tick bites to score an array of stunning early American finds , well done rustic ~~~~~~~

:laughing7:

daWG
 
That LC is really sweet... but the batwing buckle is the prize IMO.

Very well played sir!
 
Excellent group of finds-the jeweled watch winder is my favorite. Never seen one like that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom