What's new

Best hunt to date: After rain is fun.

Rustic

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
395
Reaction score
663
Golden Thread
0
Location
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The drought had me down, couldn't find anything, my detector just wasn't liking the bone dry soil, but 3 days ago, it poured and things turned around for me:

First, while it was still raining out, I found a 1912 Danish Skilling down at the boat ramp, which was a strange, but nice find, and it gave me the energy to hike way up in the woods by an old cellar hole yesterday and today. I had great fun detecting in the moistened soil, lots of junk but nice finds too:

In an upturned root ball, I found a 1802 draped bust large cent and a tiny jewelry with what I think is a garnet stone. That really got my hope up, cause I thought there might be more if it was a purse spill, but no.

Under a thick root about 6 inches down I found three quarters of a Connecticut copper from 1786 I think. Yes it's worn and broken but it made me super happy to find it!

Also 2 old buttons, one with all its gilt intact,

Last, I found a nice old buckle. I had a great time. I'm heading upstairs to wash off the poison ivy and ticks, but wanted to share. Good luck to all!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160712_165706_kindlephoto-589139598.webp
    IMG_20160712_165706_kindlephoto-589139598.webp
    697.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20160712_171647_kindlephoto-589248456.webp
    IMG_20160712_171647_kindlephoto-589248456.webp
    502.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20160712_180820_kindlephoto-587090836.webp
    IMG_20160712_180820_kindlephoto-587090836.webp
    190.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160712_180841_kindlephoto-587147212.webp
    IMG_20160712_180841_kindlephoto-587147212.webp
    156.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160712_171419_kindlephoto-583921550.webp
    IMG_20160712_171419_kindlephoto-583921550.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20160712_171437_kindlephoto-583890338.webp
    IMG_20160712_171437_kindlephoto-583890338.webp
    181 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20160712_171551_kindlephoto-583797049.webp
    IMG_20160712_171551_kindlephoto-583797049.webp
    324.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160712_171610_kindlephoto-583839968.webp
    IMG_20160712_171610_kindlephoto-583839968.webp
    265.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20160712_171747_kindlephoto-583717484.webp
    IMG_20160712_171747_kindlephoto-583717484.webp
    209.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20160712_171659_kindlephoto-583762614.webp
    IMG_20160712_171659_kindlephoto-583762614.webp
    96.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20160712_171825_kindlephoto-583668071.webp
    IMG_20160712_171825_kindlephoto-583668071.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 54
Incredible LC.
I didn't know that a cracked die variety was worth so much. I have an 1812 cracked die variety in great condition. I wonder??
Congrats on a bunch of nice finds.
 
Those are some nice finds

Yes the rain really helps the signals come alive.

HH Jer
 
Congratz on a ton of good finds! I love the foreign coin and the state copper. The large cent is in great shape. The button is cool and the buckle looks great! Keep it up!
 
Excellent hunt there. The 1802 LC is beautiful. The watch winder with the jeweled stone is nice, I found one like that in a plowed field.
 
You did very well, congratulations! Love the old coppers!
 
Well I soaked the LC and gently worked off most of the crud and the coin came out quite nice I think. It's detail was hiding under the crud, but no die cracks. Still, I'm super happy about it, it was my first LC. If you have any further advice it would be very welcome, I'm pretty new and don't know anything really... do you think I should now soak it in oil? Or just leave it as it is?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160714_174826_kindlephoto-642736211.webp
    IMG_20160714_174826_kindlephoto-642736211.webp
    201.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20160714_174812_kindlephoto-642706221.webp
    IMG_20160714_174812_kindlephoto-642706221.webp
    238.6 KB · Views: 70
Thank you all for your feedback it is much appreciated.

I wanted to update my post since I went to the same site today and found where the well was located and made some nice finds by the well: a nice old button, my first barber dime from 1906, two old coppers that I cannot identify, and 4 wheaties and 2 clad quarters. Plus a nice big musket ball. I'm excited about this site, hope to get back soon and find more. Any thoughts on where I should concentrate my search? Or how to be most effective searching?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160714_170235.webp
    IMG_20160714_170235.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20160714_170251.webp
    IMG_20160714_170251.webp
    893.7 KB · Views: 81
IMHO stop soaking and coat with a touch of bees wax , the wax will darken it somewhat but will help with the preservation , let it air dry for a few hours and insert in 2x2 coin seal .

I look for tell tale signs of habitation , large trees ,no trees, plants , stable locations , the well , shallow depressions in the area , rock formations that establish boundaries , road beds , etc... One other suggestion , start a new thread for every future hunt . Your coppers are more than likely British half pennies , one has a silhouette resembling KG II .... have fun .:laughing7:
 
Very nice finds. That Conn. copper is a survivor and the buckle is a winner. That'll display great!

Congrats

Oh, and as expected you'll get coin preservation tips out the wazoo. Don't rush into any one technique because coppers are cleaned differently based on what they need. And of course, often, they shouldn't be cleaned at all.
 
Last edited:
Rustic you put some work hiking to your spot and then the metal detecting gods smiled. Congrats.
 
Well I soaked the LC and gently worked off most of the crud and the coin came out quite nice I think. It's detail was hiding under the crud, but no die cracks. Still, I'm super happy about it, it was my first LC. If you have any further advice it would be very welcome, I'm pretty new and don't know anything really... do you think I should now soak it in oil? Or just leave it as it is?
That is an awesome find

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom