Best mechanical finishing device

Haven't viewed the video, but have to assume it's showing how to dump from snuffer to a vial. Gold is heavier than water, so the process is very straightforward and quite simple.

Yup, by Mr. Gold Cube. Good video.

Have heard lots of praises about the Gold Cube. Anyone know if a larger "production" model has ever been attempted? ...Sorry, that's getting off-topic....BUT I'M CURIOUS! :laughing7:

Nice...I don't have the alternate cap on my snuffer bottle but will get one.

You can also use a small plastic funnel. ...Can probably even make one by rolling a side of milk jug into funnel shape - though I'd personally try to avoid having a seam for gold to sneak into.

Or just pull the tube out. That's what I do.

My gold cube arrives on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting it. Have a couple of buckets of powdered ore waiting for it's maiden run.

Have heard lots of praises about the Gold Cube. Anyone know if a larger "production" model has ever been attempted? ...Sorry, that's getting off-topic....BUT I'M CURIOUS! :laughing7:

A guy from Australia named Trev built a device that was the inspiration for the gold cube and the gold cube guys consulted with him from what I have read. His was long, tall and inline with adjustable baffles in the square bottom drops and he fed it with a front end loader. There is at least one thread on the forum that has his design and I will link it if I can find it.

A guy from Australia named Trev built a device that was the inspiration for the gold cube and the gold cube guys consulted with him from what I have read. His was long, tall and inline with adjustable baffles in the square bottom drops and he fed it with a front end loader. There is at least one thread on the forum that has his design and I will link it if I can find it.

Here is the one I originally posted. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/475010-gold-cube-bit-history.html.

Did he also have a big jig as part of the operation?

Did he also have a big jig as part of the operation?

No jig....He was running ocean beach sands so the feed was mostly in the vicinity of 50 to minus 100 mesh. I saw pictures somewhere of his setup, don't remember where but you may find them by googleing his name.

Last edited:
arizau , his name is Trev Alty and he lives in New Zealand and he has a website with all the stories over on Goldminers on yahoogroups. Dave Bryce (Zooka) now is the site Co-owner. and No he don't have any jig in his old operation. Maybe I should have read your like before I responded to your post!!:icon_scratch:

Yer right, should have reread my own thread. Australians, New Zealanders, they all look alike to me....and talk funny.:laughing7:

Last edited:
I remember reading some (a LOT) of stuff on Alaska Gold Forum and remember reading about a jig. Guess I got my wires crossed again. Sorry for the confusion.

I built this one, it's much larger (more of a rectangle than a cube) and will run more material in less time. I also made the gate traps (g-force accelerators as Mike Pung calls them) a little deeper so I could safely run 1/4" material with no nugget loss...............

Regretfully I sold it a few weeks ago due to downsizing all my equipment to fit into an RV. I used some of the money to buy a standard size Gold Cube off Craigslist and am in the process of building a trommel for it. Almost ready to post the trommel build in a new thread, just need to get the wiring and plumbing ready and it's done. I cant wait to try it out, not used to working with toy sized equipment. Also sold my 15" diameter trommel to the same gold miner who purchased my oversized version of the cube.

Gold Daddy.jpg

As far as transferring your gold from bottle to vial goes, just remove the tube from the cap.
Turn the bottle upside down with the funnel end of the cap sticking into the vial and the gold drops down through the water into the vial.

No chance of losing water or gold if you're careful. It helps to swish the bottle around in a circle while holding the vial tight to it to get every last speck.

GG~

Last edited:
I finished the cons but nothing exciting to report, just more fly poop. I thought for sure I would find something bigger, oh well.

The technique of snuffer bottle to vial transfer in the posted video above worked fine for the bigger pieces but did not work for fly poop size gold. I will try the eye dropper next.

Here is the total....
image.jpeg

Right you are about Trev. Mike and Red worked with him on the cube and sent him one once they went into production too :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back