Best Minelab for Beach and Wet Sand Detecting

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Hi All,

I am new to these forums (been reading and learning a lot thanks to all your valuable insights!)

Anyway, I am going to be purchasing my first metal detector and *think* I have it narrowed down to one of the following Minelabs: Xterra 705, Sovereign Elite, or Excalibur II. I don't want this to be another 'what is the best metal detector' post so I'll try to be very specific with my wants/needs.

1) I am new to metal detecting so I want a detector that's easy to learn, but not a simple or 'beginner' machine
2) 80% or more of my time will be detecting at New Jersey beaches so I want a detector that is excellent in dry sand, wet sand (probably spend most of my time in wet sand), and shallow surf (waterproof coils are a must!) up to about 1-2 feet deep (max). I cannot dive due to health issues so I DO NOT need an entirely waterproof detector.
3) Occasionally I will park/forest/field hunt so I want a machine that is capable there, as well
4) I know many of you have a 'two detector' or more solution BUT I can only get ONE DETECTOR
5) I will rarely/never prospect for gold (although want a machine that is VERY capable on gold jewelry)
6) I like the idea of an LCD display, but I also have a very good ear (from music training all my life) and probably would be able to differentiate many different tones after a little practice

From my own research I was almost 100% set on the Xterra 705 - seems to be an excellent all-around machine with a lot of great features, waterproof coils, beach mode etc. BUT then I started reading a lot of posts that make me wonder how it will do in the wet sand/shallow surf. Then I read that the Soveriegn is THE machine for this type of environment. However, it seems to me that the 705 may be close to the Sovereign in the beach/wet sand if employing some of the other coils available (besides the stock 9 in. concentric) - this last point is just my own assumption.

So, reading my list above can you Minelab experts steer me in the right direction ? :)

Thanks!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The 705 would be a good choice, but what about the Sovereign GT? I think the GT would be an excelllent choice for what you would like to do with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not beat the Sov GT at the beach, especially if you put an after market coil on it like the 15" WOT or SEF 12"x15" or 15"x28" Butterfly coil. It is not waterproof, but the coils are, you just have to be very careful if your in the water with it.

I would not be overly concerned about a digital meter if your hunting the beach. If you hunt the beach with a non-waterproofed detector, be sure to protect it from the salt spray in the air, either with the bag designed for it or a gallon zip lock back over the top...............

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thank you both for your replies!

So one vote for the Sovereign GT for the beach!

The price is pretty comparable to the X705 so that's not an issue.

What about taking into consideration that 1) I am a beginner and would like a machine that is easy to learn and 2) I DO want to hunt some other locations occasionally (not JUST the beach) and 3) I cannot afford a 'two-detector' solution at this time 4) What machine will I ultimately be able to better differentiate the good stuff from the pulltabs/foil/iron?

Has anybody run the 705 on the wet sand/shallow surf? If so, how did it do? (Note: I would be willing to add another coil to the 705 down the line if that enabled it to meet the Sov's performance?
Any head-to-head comparisons with the Sov GT in this environment?

sorry for all the questions. I feel I'm really getting close to a decision, but just not quite there. Anyone else?

Thanks for helping a beginner!

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
The GT is the best beach/wet sand detector made period.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spdrus said:
Thank you both for your replies!

So one vote for the Sovereign GT for the beach!

The price is pretty comparable to the X705 so that's not an issue.

What about taking into consideration that 1) I am a beginner and would like a machine that is easy to learn and 2) I DO want to hunt some other locations occasionally (not JUST the beach) and 3) I cannot afford a 'two-detector' solution at this time 4) What machine will I ultimately be able to better differentiate the good stuff from the pulltabs/foil/iron?

Has anybody run the 705 on the wet sand/shallow surf? If so, how did it do? (Note: I would be willing to add another coil to the 705 down the line if that enabled it to meet the Sov's performance?
Any head-to-head comparisons with the Sov GT in this environment?

sorry for all the questions. I feel I'm really getting close to a decision, but just not quite there. Anyone else?

Thanks for helping a beginner!

There is no single perfect do all detector, one detector may excel in one area but only be average or even poor in another. Figure out what your primary type of hunting will be and concentrate your detector search on that. Detectors are a lot like golf clubs, different detectors for different situtations, water hunting and dirt hunting are two totally different situtations.....You wouldn't normally tee off with a putter, or putt with a driver.

as far as a Sov GT on land, check out this review............. http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/sovgt.htm

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is great for the beach, but the Sov GT is better I think, it just isn't waterproof. It also has many features the Excal doesn't and it seems many are having trouble now with the Excal II. Or we are only hearing from the ones that are having trouble.

As Treasure Hunter mentioned if you are hunting near the surf to keep a plastic baggie over the control box. The Sov GT will also be your best bet for dry ground searching like in the grass or woods. You have the option of being able to change coils for conditions. Sunray makes a great inline probe that runs off the detector's circuitry and disc. It is like having a 1" coil with 6" of depth for those very hard pointing thingies. :thumbsup:

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt :read2: Read more about it here.

Attachments

• Sov GT copy.jpg
    Sov GT copy.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5,885
  • Sov GT copy.jpg
    Sov GT copy.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5,833
OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Wow! Some great replies - and some excellent links to reviews. Thanks!

I am kind of surprised nobody is giving the xterra 705 any votes - any 705 users out there? anybody take the 705 to the beach?

Still a few concerns:
1) The Sov GT looks really heavy compared to the 705
2) Knobs and switches (like on the GT) seem like they would do WORSE in a saltwater environment (from sea spray/sand etc.) than a unit like the 705 that is simply an LCD readout screen and buttons (like the 705)
3) The 705 has a beach mode and automatic GB and NC (seems more useful for a beginner like myself)
4) Even though I do have a really good ear, I'm still nervous about a first machine with no digital readout/display information (unfounded concern?)

Anyway, I'm not trying to disagree with anybody's assessments as you all have WAY more experience (and so far it's the GT by a landslide!). Its just I was so close to going with the 705 and now almost everybody is like 'GT all the way'. I don't have a lot of money so I HAVE to make the right choice the first time around.

I also want to enjoy this hobby/have fun/find some cool stuff and not get frustrated.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks again!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spdrus said:
Wow! Some great replies - and some excellent links to reviews. Thanks!

I am kind of surprised nobody is giving the xterra 705 any votes - any 705 users out there? anybody take the 705 to the beach?

Still a few concerns:
1) The Sov GT looks really heavy compared to the 705
2) Knobs and switches (like on the GT) seem like they would do WORSE in a saltwater environment (from sea spray/sand etc.) than a unit like the 705 that is simply an LCD readout screen and buttons (like the 705)
3) The 705 has a beach mode and automatic GB and NC (seems more useful for a beginner like myself)
4) Even though I do have a really good ear, I'm still nervous about a first machine with no digital readout/display information (unfounded concern?)

Anyway, I'm not trying to disagree with anybody's assessments as you all have WAY more experience (and so far it's the GT by a landslide!). Its just I was so close to going with the 705 and now almost everybody is like 'GT all the way'. I don't have a lot of money so I HAVE to make the right choice the first time around.

I also want to enjoy this hobby/have fun/find some cool stuff and not get frustrated.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks again!

1. Hunt with a harness and bungee, weight is never an issue and it does not interfere with swinging detector at all.

2. No difference between Sov GT and 705 as far as salt spray, damage is just as bad for both. If you don't cover it up from the salt spray it will damage both the same....

3. 705 beach mode will never beat the Sov GT at the beach, Sovereigns are the king of the beach.

4. When you hunting the beaches, if you get a solid signal that doesn't null you dig it. If you try to rely on a digital readout you WILL be missing some good targets. I have the best Digital meter made for the Sov GT, Patricks Patriot meter. I never ever use it at the beach...I use it for land only.....

When your hunting a beach, skipping targets at the beach because you don't like the digital readout means your more likely to be skipping over a nice piece of jewelry...

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 705 is an excellent detector for general purpose. It is basically a triple frequency machine that changes frequency depending on which coil is fitted. It is essentially a vlf detector with auto ground track abillity and as such it will not be as good in the wet salt sand beaches as machines like the Sov series which are not pure vlf machines. You might find the 705 to be a pain in the saltwater and definately not as sensitive or deep detecting as the sov series machines in these conditions; (my opinion only)These detectors run very smooth and deep at the beach, The Sov GT can be used in the goldfields where the iron mineralisation is not extreme as can the old Sov XS. They are a bit flat on small gold sensitivity.The Excal is basically a waterproof Sov but heavier and can be a bit wearying in the parks and gardens.
My opinion only and I am sure there are plenty of 705 operators who swear by this machine.

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks again Treasure_Hunter, adrian ,and all who responded.

This thread definitely lead me to additional research about the GT and I like everything I've read so far about this machine. since I'll be doing beach/wet sand probably 80% of the time I really want an advantage in that environment, but it seems like the GT is also very good inland, as well.

In NJ, we don't really have any local (to me) anyway Minelab dealers.

Do you guys mainly purchase from Kellyco online?

If so, how long is the wait time for a new detector from them?

Thanks again for all the help!

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
I think most beach hunters will agree, for wet sand the Sovereign GT is hard to beat. And it won't break the bank. Only thing now, is anything out of Minelab is hard to get, they're scarce as hen's teeth. JMHO
Ed

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
hey bill_nj (my name is also Bill - LOL!),

I live in Brick. There is a LOT of coastline near my home!

Anyway, I'm about 10 minutes from about 5 beaches so that's why I've been mainly focused on a 'beach' detector like the GT.

Where are you?

Anyway, I'm hoping to start detecting once the summer beach season winds down (in about 3-4 weeks) so I guess I'll have to order one of these babies soon - huh?

Anyway, still can't decide whether to order from Kellyco or a 'local' dealer. (Note: I actually found two 'local' Minelab dealers that are both about 2 hours drive from my house - yikes!) You would think there would be a dealer in the area where everybody uses Metal Detectors (like maybe by a beach?!)

I guess if Kellyco has the GTs in stock I'll go with them (because of all the extras and good stuff I've read about them online). If not, time to start at the 'local' dealers and work my way outward. Don't want to drive more than 4 hours really.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to keep since you will be buying your first detector is the 705 will be a little more user friendly at first and it is a lighter machine than the sovereign. I had the x-terra 50 and I really enjoyed it very much but I do not hunt on beaches. I now have a sovereign and the difference is quite a bit in how the detector operates. I would not consider the sovereign to be an easy first metal detecto to learn so, if you wind up with the sovereign, just do not get frustrated and learn the machine. The multiple frequency machines, like the sovereign, will do better in the wet salt sand and the single frequency machines, like the 705, will chatter more and you will have to turn the sensitivity way down in order for it to work correctly. Also keep in mind you will have to dig all of your good repeatable targets to see how the machine reacts and to get to know your detector no matter which one you wind up with. Also all of the coils that come with the machine stock will be water proof. There is one coil for the xterra series that is not water proof and that is the 5X10 DD from minelab. Just my 2 cents worth, Tim

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
Bill, if you do get the Sovereign GT this book from Kellco will help you a lot.
"Finding Gold, Silver and Coins with Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur Metal Detectors"
Author Clive James Clynick
It's a great book. You mentioned the GT not having a meter. There is an add on meter available for the GT that
gives a numerical readout of a hit. They cost around $190
Ed

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks everybody for all of the great advice!!

So, I emailed the two NJ Minelab Dealers and I emailed Kellyco.

We'll see who has what in stock, who is the most responsive and easy to deal with etc, and then I'll make my decision of where to purchase at that time.

In the meantime, I've downloaded the manual and the main posts here and on the other forums about the best sov GT settings for beach etc. Also, how this machine reacts a little differently than other metal detectors when it nulls out signals and how the threshold reacts etc. Seems like a machine that CAN provide a LOT of information if someone is willing to work at it.

Thanks for all the advice and I will DEFINITELY get that book referred to above!

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
any of the minelab multi frequency machines sov, quattro, safari, explorer will work well at the beach. and did you ever think of buying used . go to this sites classifieds and often you will see some real bargains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread