Best Navy Button 1812ish (most guilt) + silver Half Dollar Live Video too boot.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out by myself, seems everyone else was busy. Too bad.
A site I got 14 buttons on a previous hunt before was freshly plowed. Within ten minutes I get a button, knew there was something on it, turns out to be my best Navy button ever. It is a looker IMO.
Ten-fifteen minutes or so later I get a solid 94 signal on my Omega, thinking pop can, but turn on the camera anyway? and pull a half dollar (1902-1910) OK, I had thought with the age of the average find on this site that the coin was going to be better (older) but that's still cool. I got both the coin finds on live dig video. Video is short too at 2 and a half minutes. Stopped to watch some model airplanes on the way home. Great day.

Good Luck Out There.

EDIT, Video added. (warning, small amount of bad language, sorry, but a tad excited)

Forgot to mention the copper is a GEO III., and only about the 3rd coin from the site.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Upvote 15

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt and that button is killer man :thumbsup: I'm always impressed at how quick the IDs come from everyone here on something like that button. Looking forward to watching the video, but I think it needs to be toggled to public. Great hunt Rick!

Thanks, should be "public" I think I forgot to click "publish"...done... it works fine on firefox...will check though....

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, should be "public" I think I forgot to click "publish"...done... it works fine on firefox...will check though....

It's all good now and I just watched it. That button might be the best find, but seeing you dig that half got me excited. Ha. Nothing like seeing a big silver pop out. Once again, awesome hunt.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. The button is great. Looks like one I found awhile back with gilt still intact that you helped me id but yours is in way better shape! [emoji106]

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button Rick, and in beautiful shape! And a silver half? That was a good day for sure. Got pics of the half?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button Rick, and in beautiful shape! And a silver half? That was a good day for sure. Got pics of the half?

Thanks, The half is about the worst condition silver I ever found, Edward VII, can't see the date, maybe I'll scrub it a bit, would be cool if it happened to be an '04, or '05.

IMG_1905.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks S. I know where you got that pic. It's a good site.
Again I'm pretty happy with the button, my best in 9 years, so that says a lot right there.

Careful, its a good site with quite a few mistake IDs.

Anyways, I knew that was an 18th C example as soon as I saw it. Close to as good as they come - congrats...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, The half is about the worst condition silver I ever found, Edward VII, can't see the date, maybe I'll scrub it a bit, would be cool if it happened to be an '04, or '05.

View attachment 1307393

Oh well, they can't be all MS64 haha. Still a great coin, I'd love to find an Ed half. Maybe some tinfoil treatment?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a hunt you had there Rick, and congrats on that awesome button. But I think you need a bigger shovel :laughing7:.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a hunt you had there Rick, and congrats on that awesome button. But I think you need a bigger shovel :laughing7:.

Thanks Bill.
I travel to ALL my solo hunts via bicycle, so have to travel light, backpack, detector, pouch, pointer, digger, extra battery, and a drink grand total about 10 pounds. You can see the bike in the first couple of seconds of the Video

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it was a widely known fact that quality marks did not start to appear on the backs of buttons until after 1800. If that's true, how can this example date to 1787-1795?? Just trying to confirm this excellent example is being properly dated (although my knowledge of early British navy buttons is near zilch).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a widely known fact that quality marks did not start to appear on the backs of buttons until after 1800. If that's true, how can this example date to 1787-1795?? Just trying to confirm this excellent example is being properly dated (although my knowledge of early British navy buttons is near zilch).

Not sure what to tell you other than you can open Alberts book and see it for yourself. My resource is something entirely different, but the same info..

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great naval button Rick, and it is a real looker. Never saw one of those posted before.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone handed me that button and asked me to date it, I would say circa 1815. That type of rim on the face of the button that creates an oval background for the motif was widely used in the 1810 -1825 period.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone handed me that button and asked me to date it, I would say circa 1815. That type of rim on the face of the button that creates an oval background for the motif was widely used in the 1810 -1825 period.

Totally agree with your observations Steve.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me again chime in on this. I just did some checking on the website linked below, and discovered that in addition to the 1787-1795 Royal Navy Captain and Commander's button being discussed, the exact same button (at least the front) was shown under the Commissioned Officers and Late Royal Navy Surgeon category. You can see that 2nd button if you scroll further down the page, and it has a backmark whereas the first one would likely not have one based on it being before the time frame when backmarks first began to appear. I think the info in Albert's isn't complete as I believe it refers to the example pictured there as the Commissioned Officers button with backmark, but provides the earlier dating which I think is incorrect. Again, I'm certainly no authority on these buttons, but based on the evidence I'm seeing I believe Rick's is the later Commissioned Officers/Surgeon variety and dates to the early 1800s. Steve's comments above also validate this position.

George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? The Continental Navy The French Colonial Troops & MarinesThe British Royal Navy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see that 2nd button if you scroll further down the page, and it has a backmark whereas the first one would likely not have one based on it being before the time frame when backmarks first began to appear.

If you believe the site you linked to is accurate, scroll to the admirals buttons... because it eliminates your argument. "The makers mark dates this from 1771-1780"

I'd be curious to know what the mark is, and I bet it's S. Firmin strand... and if so I would disagree with the dating because I had that same mark on a numbered button that was thought of to be post war, and I think it was too... and it was not in the books. Also, the dating for that admirals button goes against my reference material, so again I would question the reference they used to date the mark... and it actually rings a bell, because I think back when I had the numbered button I had found somewhere saying it was early... just some online site. Also that site calls several buttons lietintenmts, and I could not disagree more. If you look I'll bet you'll recognize a cast one which I believe dates quite a bit earlier. As for the surgeons wearing them, that also only seems to come from one place, but maybe they did... it's an officer button, so it wouldn't not surprise me if they ended up being worn by different positions or ranks. I personally do not think of it as a surgeons button, but to only call it that I think is totally wrong. Basically it's a Royal Navy officer button which was first issued in 1787, has different variants, by different makers, and was used up through the war of 1812, which was the case for pretty much every other button that dates post Rev War. Button backmarks generally came on the seen after the Rev War, but there was a few during. I know the Samuel Firmin SF mark is on the 2nd pattern King's American Regiment, as well as being on an early Navy I owned, and also some Artillery. All dating to the 1780s. Anyway, that's my take.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread