Best of 2018

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I took a pic over break of the best pieces that I acquired in 2018. All are from Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri and represent a variety of time frames from late paleo to Mississippian. My favorite piece of the year is the notched hoe made of Kaolin flint that I acquired from the granddaughter of the finder.

Hoping everyone has a good year in 2019! I'm hoping this year will be better in terms of finding pieces for me as last year was pretty slow. Although the thrill of acquiring a fine piece is pretty fun also.

Hippy

2018 Gets.jpg

Upvote 0
Always great to see your collections.

Jeff and his dad have a great personal find collection as well. A pretty significant Agate Basin site if I remember correctly.

Thanks Joshua. I hope things are going well...way out east.

The more we've learned about the Agate Basin-like points, the more they seem to fit in with Cody Complex sites in the upper midwest. The pattern of burnt Hixton bifaces, intentionally fractured points and exotic materials is a phenomenon only seen on similar assemblages with Cody points in Wisconsin. And to Clarify, not typical Cody, but the Wisconsin Scottsbluffs and Eared Eden/Scottsbluff pieces. Interesting enough, the one we found is really the only similar assemblage to utilize lance points. The others all have the classic upper midwest Cody stuff.

Hippy

WOW!

You've acquired some great pieces! Keep up the good work!

I haven't heard from your dad in a while. He used to send pics of some of his finds. I hope he's still getting out.

He's still out getting after it when he can. His ankles have given him trouble and can't walk as long as he used to be able to. He's actually getting out more than me now that he's retired.

I don't think he's found too much exciting lately, but such is life in Winter.

Any chance you're going to make it down for Collinsville this year?

Hippy

Good to hear he is getting out!

I don’t think I’ll make Collinsville, but I may try to get to mt pleasant in a few weeks.

Wow those are impressive! I see why that notched hoe is your favorite the material is so nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back