Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my and with an awesome insitu. The in situ is worth of a frame beside that beauty. Funnt how life throws you a nice one every now and then.
That is spectacular. You say it is a Cobbs knife? It has an interesting shape for sure.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job! Nice finds! Would the point in the third photo be made from "root beer" flint? anyone? Thanks

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty! :icon_thumleft: Congratulations on a Cool find.

OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job! Nice finds! Would the point in the third photo be made from "root beer" flint? anyone? Thanks

All 3 pics are of the same knife blade and it's not made of "root beer" flint. It is actually made of high grade Nehawka Chert that has been heat treated. Nehawka Chert is quarried within 45 miles of where this was found across the river in Nebraska.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iowa huskerhunter, that's a really nice Archaic butcher knife you found there! My son found one very similar, it's not just the type but even more the material that yours is made of that interests me. The one my son found is medium-dark brown with creamy white inclusions like yours, not quite as dark brown as yours probably, however the particular lighting when a picture is taken can effect the apparent color a lot.
If you know much about the Nehawka chert you mentioned I'd like to put pictures of my sons find on here to see if you think it's made of the same stuff. So far most collectors and a local archeologist have opined that all of the "brown" on my sons find is creek patina.
Also I just got permission to hunt a bunch of fields in the Washington, Iowa area, a bit east of you but some good hunting I'm guessing.
If you'd give me your opinion just me know and I'll post a couple of pics. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Iowa huskerhunter, that's a really nice Archaic butcher knife you found there! My son found one very similar, it's not just the type but even more the material that yours is made of that interests me. The one my son found is medium-dark brown with creamy white inclusions like yours, not quite as dark brown as yours probably, however the particular lighting when a picture is taken can effect the apparent color a lot.
If you know much about the Nehawka chert you mentioned I'd like to put pictures of my sons find on here to see if you think it's made of the same stuff. So far most collectors and a local archeologist have opined that all of the "brown" on my sons find is creek patina.
Also I just got permission to hunt a bunch of fields in the Washington, Iowa area, a bit east of you but some good hunting I'm guessing.
If you'd give me your opinion just me know and I'll post a couple of pics. Happy hunting!

If you look at the tip, that is the color of Nehawka that isn't heat treated. It's usually grey with little circular fossil inclusions. It turns deep red when heat treated. Let's see yours and my be I can tell you if it's Nehawka or not.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the tip, that is the color of Nehawka that isn't heat treated. It's usually grey with little circular fossil inclusions. It turns deep red when heat treated. Let's see yours and my be I can tell you if it's Nehawka or not.

Here it is ..., but no hints of red whatsoever so I'm guessing "not Nehawka". Found in central Illinois creek, the darkest color is obviously creek patina but I'm still a little skeptical about the general brown color being creek stain, as many have suggested.
Thanks for your thoughts. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443024296.400179.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443024325.046618.jpg

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains

Very well-made knife …nice find!

Due to the unevenness of the red caused by heating and what appears to be a potlid fracture half way down on the blade (last pic), I’m wondering if the thermal alteration to your knife was unintended?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well-made knife …nice find!

Due to the unevenness of the red caused by heating and what appears to be a potlid fracture half way down on the blade (last pic), I’m wondering if the thermal alteration to your knife was unintended?

In the below image the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] pieces from the left have seen light thermal alteration. The rest of the pieces show the natural color.

I would have no clue. I can say that this is the darkest I've seen any Nehawka, artifact or flake. I am just curious as to why only the tip and base aren't heat treated at all. Was that done for looks or was that done so the tip and base were more sturdy and less likely to break?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blade and it cleaned up real nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread