What's new

Best Permission Ever - 1890 Victorian Home leads to SILVER

PGHDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
73
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a collection of finds from one backyard on my street... The yard is 25'x50' and completely flat... I had detected this yard briefly in the past, only pulled a few pennies... Late last week I decided to revisit the yard as it is close and was one of the few that was thawed... My first hit was a 1920 wheatie... Second hit was a 1919 wheatie in almost the same hole... Then another wheatie came up... I ended up pulling almost 30 wheaties on that first day...

The next day I went back and blew all of the leaves out of the yard... Laid out a grid using string and started hitting one of my squares... My very first hit was a wheatie that turned out to be a 1909-s in average condition... A few more wheatie signals then boom... I started hitting silver...

My first silver was a 1943-p war nickle... Then a 1941 merc... Followed by a 1946 Roosevelt dime... I was actually freaking out... I closed that hole up and moved over a few inches and hit two Rosies 1958 and 1963... A few inches to the side of those I found two more a 1953 and a 56... It was getting dark so I left...

The next day I came back and worked another square... Dug another 20 or so wheaties... Then hit the dimes again... This time a little older... Hit two barbers a 1914 and a 1916... A little while later I hit what I believe to be an 1857 seated Liberty dime...

Finally I went back today for an hour and hit the square I started with... Didn't get much... Until I got a good signal and out of the hole pops a 1941 walking Liberty half dollar... I was sure I got everything out of that hole... Guess I will have to hit each square at least twice...

image.webp
image.webp

Among some of the non-coin finds so far... A small brass makeup container that looks like it's from the forties... A few religious medals in silver... And a token for a bank dated 1918 that was good for a $.05 deposit in the farmers savings bank of Wilkinsburg...

I need to get a better detector... I love my fisher f2... But I need more depth... The silver coins I am finding are at the very bottom of my detectors depth ability...
 
Upvote 50
I have never once used my f2 without discriminating iron... I actually bought my f2 with my tax return last winter... I got the detector, 4" and 8" coils, and a pinpointer... I got out once last spring... I did not do well... I had something to prove at work so I didn't really get out much over the summer... It really wasn't until Around Christmas that I picked the detector up again... Went out and my first keeper was a 10kt 1929 class ring... I haven't been able to put the detector down since...

I am using the 8" coil... Saving for the 11" DD... Hoping to get a real pinpointer with that order as well...

Tomorrow probably my last chance for a while... I'm going back and trying that square with no discrimination... Thanks for this...

The 11" DD has a little learning curve but it's a game changer on the f2. Seems your doing very well with your own style. I personally love hearing everything (iron included) so I know exactly what's down there. There was times there was a good signal right beside the iron and when it was discriminated out it would miss the good hit also. I can't say on some machines I wouldn't use some discrim but on the f2 it doesn't have a true all metal mode so even with iron on there is still some discrimination anyway.
 
Outstanding digs.... Congrats on the silvers, especially the Walker...
 
Nice lot of silver coins.Looks like a whole lot of fun there,very nice,-HH
 
Save some of those good finds for me when I get back from Arizona in May! Great finds. Congrats.
 
Nice finds

I know your area well. Lots of history around here. Yes better equipment will help. If you keep making finds like this and upgrade should be in the near future

HH Jeremy
 
PHG you are killing it in 2016. :headbang: You'll have no problem with the DD coil.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom