What's new

Best Permission Ever - 1890 Victorian Home leads to SILVER

PGHDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
73
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a collection of finds from one backyard on my street... The yard is 25'x50' and completely flat... I had detected this yard briefly in the past, only pulled a few pennies... Late last week I decided to revisit the yard as it is close and was one of the few that was thawed... My first hit was a 1920 wheatie... Second hit was a 1919 wheatie in almost the same hole... Then another wheatie came up... I ended up pulling almost 30 wheaties on that first day...

The next day I went back and blew all of the leaves out of the yard... Laid out a grid using string and started hitting one of my squares... My very first hit was a wheatie that turned out to be a 1909-s in average condition... A few more wheatie signals then boom... I started hitting silver...

My first silver was a 1943-p war nickle... Then a 1941 merc... Followed by a 1946 Roosevelt dime... I was actually freaking out... I closed that hole up and moved over a few inches and hit two Rosies 1958 and 1963... A few inches to the side of those I found two more a 1953 and a 56... It was getting dark so I left...

The next day I came back and worked another square... Dug another 20 or so wheaties... Then hit the dimes again... This time a little older... Hit two barbers a 1914 and a 1916... A little while later I hit what I believe to be an 1857 seated Liberty dime...

Finally I went back today for an hour and hit the square I started with... Didn't get much... Until I got a good signal and out of the hole pops a 1941 walking Liberty half dollar... I was sure I got everything out of that hole... Guess I will have to hit each square at least twice...

image.webp
image.webp

Among some of the non-coin finds so far... A small brass makeup container that looks like it's from the forties... A few religious medals in silver... And a token for a bank dated 1918 that was good for a $.05 deposit in the farmers savings bank of Wilkinsburg...

I need to get a better detector... I love my fisher f2... But I need more depth... The silver coins I am finding are at the very bottom of my detectors depth ability...
 
Upvote 50
I would not lose sleep over the depth issue IMO. Deeper small targets can sound like a slight false, and if you scan each false, the signals just get better as the coil gets centered.

That would be the perfect small yard to improve your skills and patterns.
 
I would not lose sleep over the depth issue IMO. Deeper small targets can sound like a slight false, and if you scan each false, the signals just get better as the coil gets centered.

That would be the perfect small yard to improve your skills and patterns.
,

That's interesting... I normally cherry pick, only digging solid signals that I am positive is a coin... This yard was the first time since I started that I found myself digging weak signals... It is almost as if once I get rid of the wheaties in a section, the spot comes alive with very deep, almost like phantom signals... Once I started digging those I started getting silver...

having this yard available has been a huge benefit for me... You are absolutely right... It has been a big learning experience...

Thank you for the advice...
 
I can't stop staring at this walking half... It is my second... But this is in incredible condition... I can clearly see her shoes... It sure is blackened... But all the details are there...

image.webpimage.webp
 
,

That's interesting... I normally cherry pick, only digging solid signals that I am positive is a coin... This yard was the first time since I started that I found myself digging weak signals... It is almost as if once I get rid of the wheaties in a section, the spot comes alive with very deep, almost like phantom signals... Once I started digging those I started getting silver...

having this yard available has been a huge benefit for me... You are absolutely right... It has been a big learning experience...

Thank you for the advice...

I can't stop staring at this walking half... It is my second... But this is in incredible condition... I can clearly see her shoes... It sure is blackened... But all the details are there...

View attachment 1270270View attachment 1270271


I was rethinking my first reply about "Improving your skills" and hoped you did not get offended.

When I first started MD, my second year I wanted to get off the school clad site and find older coins.. I tried a lightly wooded, brushy area across the steet, and finally figured out it was a temporary school playground for the school a bit further away. Each time I went across the road if I only had an hour, I'd find more wheats and silver washingtons...then finally my first Walking Half. I had those as a kid, but forgot how big and heavy it felt. And those are the nicest design on a US silver coin, IMO.

The newest coin I ever found there was mid-50s.

Then after that summer of random hunts there, I'd never found a silver dime, so I was convinced my machine was not able to... Well a few trips later, I found a merc and a rosie about 3 feet apart.

I moved away 14 years ago, and I never realized that I actually was learning. I miss having a site like that to improve myself on.
 
No offense taken... I'm still in my first year of detecting... I am definitely still learning... I am convinced the only reason I have found as much as I have is because of my location... I don't have a post 1920s house anywhere near me... Everything around here was built in the latter half of the 1800s... I have to admit it is all location, location, location!
 
Cleaning wheaties and this popped out... It's a shield nickel... Not sure of the date as it's pretty toasted... But a first for me none the less...

image.webpimage.webp
 
Nice pile of silver! When I started many years ago I would hit the back yards in my hometown of Ligonier, PA. It's amazing how many coins some of those yards hold.
 
Nice pile of silver! When I started many years ago I would hit the back yards in my hometown of Ligonier, PA. It's amazing how many coins some of those yards hold.

My initial thought on this yard was maybe a kid had a thing for burying coins in the backyard... but I dunno... The lack of clad is what is surprising... Only a few nickels from the 40s and 50s...
 
Nicestack of coins there friend.. Looks like your cleaning that yard up good.. In that case, I may would open the detector up to all metal with zero disc..that should help with a bit more depth.Also detecting there while the ground is wet, ie after snow or rain..
Also going diagonal against your grid patterns sometimes will get you a one way hit keeper.. good luck to you..
 
Congrats on the killer hunt! Very well done sir.
 
That's one nice bunch of silver. Looks like you have a great spot to go back to. Seated, Barbers and a walker would put a smile on any detectorists face. :laughing7:
 
Great hunt PGH. If you are going to revisit the yard & do your grid search, make sure you do it from a different angle than you did the first time. Many coins lay different & can be picked up from a different direction.
 
Nicestack of coins there friend.. Looks like your cleaning that yard up good.. In that case, I may would open the detector up to all metal with zero disc..that should help with a bit more depth.Also detecting there while the ground is wet, ie after snow or rain..
Also going diagonal against your grid patterns sometimes will get you a one way hit keeper.. good luck to you..

This is good stuff... Never thought about not discriminating iron... I will try that... Thank you so much...
 
Great hunt PGH. If you are going to revisit the yard & do your grid search, make sure you do it from a different angle than you did the first time. Many coins lay different & can be picked up from a different direction.

I love this site... So much info and experience here... Thank you... I can see it is in my best interest to revisit my first two squares before I get into one of the other 4...

Thank you for the tip...
 
That's a hot spot
I waiting to find somewhere like that Good Job
 
Last edited:
I don't think you for sure need a new detector yet. You said your only on your first year so your probably just now getting very comfortable with your machine. You said you visited the yard on the past and you only got a few penny's. I think it's not a depth issue but now your way better with your machine and swing since then so the finds increased. Also you said it was one of the few "thawed" yards so the ground was probably wet/damp. Sometimes silver and finds come in loud and clear and appear in the wet ground. Like after a big rain for example. I had some very great finds with the f2 and when I learned you got to run it almost always full sensitivity and no discrimination the finds went up triple. You got to hear everything with that machine. It makes every signal clearer and no ghost signals from any discriminated metals it may pick up by accident. Headphones are a must as well. What coil you using on your f2? The 11"DD is awesome on it but for half the price the 10" concentric is great also. You can gain some depth and coverage area.
 
Nice finds ! Your shield nickel looks like 1883--hard to see :icon_thumleft: I would carefully hit the date area with a toothpick to see date better, 1880 and 1881 are key dates worth a lot of cash :occasion14:
 
Last edited:
I have never once used my f2 without discriminating iron... I actually bought my f2 with my tax return last winter... I got the detector, 4" and 8" coils, and a pinpointer... I got out once last spring... I did not do well... I had something to prove at work so I didn't really get out much over the summer... It really wasn't until Around Christmas that I picked the detector up again... Went out and my first keeper was a 10kt 1929 class ring... I haven't been able to put the detector down since...

I am using the 8" coil... Saving for the 11" DD... Hoping to get a real pinpointer with that order as well...

Tomorrow probably my last chance for a while... I'm going back and trying that square with no discrimination... Thanks for this...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom