May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lennox type 5 - I wish I had a clue what your on about, but both your posts have made me dig out my bag of farthings to look more closely. :icon_thumright:

Your lucky to get that rare combination of condition with rarity :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Lennox type 5 - I wish I had a clue what your on about, but both your posts have made me dig out my bag of farthings to look more closely. :icon_thumright:

Awesome Find Rob. Question: What is more rare, the Richmond or the early Maltravers Royal Farthing?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Awesome Find Rob. Question: What is more rare, the Richmond or the early Maltravers Royal Farthing?

Now that I have studied the ones I've got & my books, thanks to Rob, I have re-ordered my collection.

From what I have just learnt, there is little difference in Spinks in terms of cost of the Richmond & Maltravers. (Yours looks to be a Spinks #3199, & is a Maltraver Type 3)

In my experience the ratio of Rose to Royal is 20/1, so it seems yours is rarer than the rose but not reflected in the price. Unless it happened to be an Oval one like Rob has pictured (which they did of both types for export to Ireland). :icon_thumright:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Now that I have studied the ones I've got & my books, thanks to Rob, I have re-ordered my collection.

From what I have just learnt, there is little difference in Spinks in terms of cost of the Richmond & Maltravers. (Yours looks to be a Spinks #3199, & is a Maltraver Type 3)

In my experience the ratio of Rose to Royal is 20/1, so it seems yours is rarer than the rose but not reflected in the price. Unless it happened to be an Oval one like Rob has pictured (which they did of both types for export to Ireland). :icon_thumright:

I don't know what constitutes it as oval....is it the shape? Yes, from my research, I also read that the early Maltraver Royal is more rare because it wasn't long before they switched over to the Rose Farthing to counter the counterfeiters. I also noticed that it seems that the Maltraver is the only one that actually spelled out "Carolvs"...The others like the Richmond only used "Caro". I did go on a couple sites that actually showed the Maltraver Royal worth more than the Richmond and the Rose...One one site especially

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

I don't know what constitutes it as oval....is it the shape?

Mostly shape, but also weight.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:

Cru Spink 2681

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

To be honest Sentinel at this point I don't know, I will have a look.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

It doesn't matter honestly, its the historical significance that I value anyway....no need to have to go a lookin...just thought you might know of the top of your head :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

It doesn't matter honestly, its the historical significance that I value anyway....no need to have to go a lookin...just thought you might know of the top of your head :wink:

You're right, because even the best of these in dug condition aren't worth a whole lot. And the common ones, well only a few dollars. Without context your coin would definitely not be a banner find.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

You're right, because even the best of these in dug condition aren't worth a whole lot. And the common ones, well only a few dollars. Without context your coin would definitely not be a banner find.

Yep, I think we know that the coin isn't monetarily worth much (its just a piece of thin brass), however historically, here in the colonies, its rich. Only a very few found between here and Jamestown...You'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding one of these in the U.S.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Yep, I think we know that the coin isn't monetarily worth much (its just a piece of thin brass), however historically, here in the colonies, its rich. Only a very few found between here and Jamestown...You'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding one of these in the U.S.

Not sure why being brass and thin has anything to do with value.... and is actually the perfect description for my most valuable coin find :tongue3: You're absolutely right with the lottery statement for the vast majority of us that don't have sites dating to the 1600s. But for those that do, the chances would be quite reasonable considering it's a common coin of the period. I'm not sure how many unique type finds turn up in your area but I know Ironhorse and I have many finds that aren't considered rare (as in valuable), but we have never seen someone else dig one here, or post one, so in that sense the winning the lottery thing could probably be applied to them as well. It's actually very interesting how rarity and context play into making a find what it is.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Not sure why being brass and thin has anything to do with value.... and is actually the perfect description for my most valuable coin find :tongue3: You're absolutely right with the lottery statement for the vast majority of us that don't have sites dating to the 1600s. But for those that do, the chances would be quite reasonable considering it's a common coin of the period. I'm not sure how many unique type finds turn up in your area but I know Ironhorse and I have many finds that aren't considered rare (as in valuable), but we have never seen someone else dig one here, or post one, so in that sense the winning the lottery thing could probably be applied to them as well. It's actually very interesting how rarity and context play into making a find what it is.

Not sure why being brass and thin has anything to do with value.

What I mean by the above is that there's no real intrinsic value in a thin little piece of copper or brass whereas if it

were,say, gold, than there would be some actual intrinsic value in the material itself.

As for it being a common coin of the period, yes you're right, over in England, however in the 1630s in America,

there were only a couple little settlements at Jamestown, VA and the Mass. Bay Colonies. And these particular coins

were only used for a very short time at Jamestown before gold and silver coin became available. Therefore, I don't

believe you would find this farthing at many other 1600s sites except for right in this general area where I live.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

What I mean by the above is that there's no real intrinsic value in a thin little piece of copper or brass whereas if it

were,say, gold, than there would be some actual intrinsic value in the material itself.

As for it being a common coin of the period, yes you're right, over in England, however in the 1630s in America,

there were only a couple little settlements at Jamestown, VA and the Mass. Bay Colonies. And these particular coins

were only used for a very short time at Jamestown before gold and silver coin became available. Therefore, I don't

believe you would find this farthing at many other 1600s sites except for right in this general area where I live.

But you said it in a way that almost implies that every thin brass coin isn't going to be worth much, which of course is not the case because rarely does the metal dictate the value unless your talking about what it was worth at the time of circulation. Anyway, that's why I thought that was odd and asked.

Since the coins were created right until 1649 they could easily show up at sites dating many years after and gold and silver caming on the scene really doesn't have much to do with it other than maybe knocking the value down. (So you're saying there was no gold or silver early at Jamestown?) It's not really any different than finding a 1775 halfpenny at an 1820 site... so I don't see how a Royal farthing would be any different other than being 100+ years older and dug at an older site.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

But you said it in a way that almost implies that every thin brass coin isn't going to be worth much, which of course is not the case because rarely does the metal dictate the value unless your talking about what it was worth at the time of circulation. Anyway, that's why I thought that was odd and asked.

Since the coins were created right until 1649 they could easily show up at sites dating many years after and gold and silver caming on the scene really doesn't have much to do with it other than maybe knocking the value down. (So you're saying there was no gold or silver early at Jamestown?) It's not really any different than finding a 1775 halfpenny at an 1820 site... so I don't see how a Royal farthing would be any different other than being 100+ years older and dug at an older site.

Seems like you're ALWAYS going to have the last word so I'll end it here :wink: Bottom line is this coin has been found almost nowhere else in America, other than Coastal Virginia...and there's not many 1600s sites in all the U.S. Honestly, that was the hardest part of all, finding the site

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Seems like you're ALWAYS going to have the last word so I'll end it here :wink: Bottom line is this coin has not been found almost nowhere else in America, other than Coastal Virginia...and there's not many 1600s sites in all the U.S. Honestly, that was the hardest part of all, finding the site

Ok, if you say so. :thumbsup: (but rather funny that you know all this but didn't even know what the coin was) But anyway....

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Seems like you're ALWAYS going to have the last word so I'll end it here :wink: Bottom line is this coin has not been found almost nowhere else in America, other than Coastal Virginia...and there's not many 1600s sites in all the U.S. Honestly, that was the hardest part of all, finding the site

Ok, if you say so. :thumbsup: (but rather funny that you know all this but didn't even know what the coin was) But anyway....

:D :D :D You JUST CAN'T HELP YOURSELF.... Anyway, yes indeed, I learned about the coin just like you did, by sitting on the computer and reading about it :wink: :icon_thumleft: and speaking with the historians at the Smithsonian Museum :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

:D :D :D You JUST CAN'T HELP YOURSELF.... Anyway, yes indeed, I learned about the coin just like you did, by sitting on the computer and reading about it :wink: :icon_thumleft: and speaking with the historians at the Smithsonian Museum :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Maybe you should limit your concern to your own last word and then you wouldn't end up disappointed. :wink:

I'm sure the Smithsonian was a buzz after hearing about a random Charles I Farthing find. Hope you learned a lot! :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Maybe you should limit your concern to your own last word and then you wouldn't end up disappointed. :wink:

I'm sure the Smithsonian was a buzz after hearing about a random Charles I Farthing find. Hope you learned a lot! :thumbsup:

Who's disappointed??? :) :wink: Indeed I did, I'm not beyond learning :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
robfinds said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Who's disappointed??? :D :wink: Indeed I did, I'm not beyond learning :icon_thumleft:

I want the last word :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread