Best sand scoop.. are there non-metallic options?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go to the beach often... but last time I did I borrowed a buddies hand sand scoop.

Couple things I noticed-

At first I was just scooping sand and standing there shaking it a million times. I then decided to take it to the water for a dip and discovered the sand would instantly disperse and a coin would be in the bottom.

Great.... until I had a couple great signals, that I am sure are in the scoop- but nothing left in the bottom. His holes were large- and I probably lost some earrings, etc.

Other thing I noticed- walking along detector in one hand, scoop in other- every time I would swing the detector towards the side of my body with the scoop it would sound off on the detector.

And final nit-pick- his scoop had a cheaply made handle that had sharp edges.

SOO- I would like a scoop that has smaller holes to not loose earrings, be made out of sturdy plastic, carbon fiber even, cost is not an issue- and comfortable.

I haven't looked much- but everything I have seen is metal- which makes no sense to me..and seem to be cheaply made and no attention to detail / quality / comfort.

If something else is out there- please let me know!!

Upvote 1

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a pet-pooper scoop on ebay
Plastic, strong and light

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go to the beach often... but last time I did I borrowed a buddies hand sand scoop.

Couple things I noticed-

At first I was just scooping sand and standing there shaking it a million times. I then decided to take it to the water for a dip and discovered the sand would instantly disperse and a coin would be in the bottom.

Great.... until I had a couple great signals, that I am sure are in the scoop- but nothing left in the bottom. His holes were large- and I probably lost some earrings, etc.

Other thing I noticed- walking along detector in one hand, scoop in other- every time I would swing the detector towards the side of my body with the scoop it would sound off on the detector.

And final nit-pick- his scoop had a cheaply made handle that had sharp edges.

SOO- I would like a scoop that has smaller holes to not loose earrings, be made out of sturdy plastic, carbon fiber even, cost is not an issue- and comfortable.

I haven't looked much- but everything I have seen is metal- which makes no sense to me..and seem to be cheaply made and no attention to detail / quality / comfort.

If something else is out there- please let me know!!
Go to feed store.
Get a plastic scoop and at home, drill 1/4 inch holes in it.
Re-enforce the handle with a stick of wood, ....I shaped one end of the stick to conform to the convex surface of the scoop. making it very stable, and strong.
Mine has done well, and its cheap and non-magnetic too!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be detecting wet sand, otherwise just about any scoop will sift dry sand quickly. In the water is usually no problem either unless you're in a heavy shell layer. In the dry sand, maybe a plastic scoop will work ok for a while, but, in wet sand......forget it. Even metal scoops can have a problem there if not built properly. If money is no object, I'd get a Sunspot Stealth 920ix with a carbon fiber shaft and lift assist handle. If you drag the basket behind you or sling it over your shoulder, there will be no interference problem with your detector. Dragging it also gives you the benefit of knowing where you've been so you don't cover the same ground twice.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extreme Scoops is another great option, and may be easier to buy these days. There again, if money is no object, get the titanium version.....awesome!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread