Best way to detect on private property?

couch tater

Greenie
Sep 10, 2007
Atlanta
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Would anyone be kind enough to share their tricks of the trade with a young newbie detector like myself? ;)
I have an ace 250 and have pretty much been limited to parks and schools. Havent found any old coins or relics. Just a couple little rings and clad. ::)

I feel that private property is probly where I would have the best chance of finding undetected territory. So....Does anyone just drive around looking for old homes. Knock on the door and say "hi, I was just wondering if I could detect your yard?". I am a bit timid to approach strangers, so I wanted to see what you fine folks do. ???
- ct

Upvote 0
Hey Tater,

I was on my way to the beach to hunt today. Stopped at a yard sale. Nothing good. Got back in my car and noticed they were one house from a cemetary. Next to that a farm from the 18th century. Turned around when back and ask the owner if they ever had metal detected the woman say no, but her husband had thought about it. I then talked to her husband. For some reason he asked if I was from a company. Not sure what that was about. Any way he said no. I am pretty sure if he was dead, the misses would have let me. Anyway, I saw a sign for this old abandoned hotel for sale. I am going to call when I have a chance and see what they say. The only permission I have gotten so far is from a relative of my wifes. It was a house from the late 19th century found a part of a water jug, I only hunted for a while and my detector is not too good. I know stuff is there. I would like to go back, I wish I knew him better. I might get another chance some day. They have a little pond next to the old house foundation, I know stuff is there. I personally think the best chance you have is to know somebody. Good Luck.

Some people are afraid that you may sue them if you get hurt on their property. Others don't want to see you get a possible good find or two off their property that would belong to them if they ever got around to using a detector. It's best to be neat and ask in person with the land owner for permission. If they refuse, don't argue, thank them for their time and move on with a smile. It helps to have a business card to give them in case they change their minds later after they really think about it. Offer to find and return something they may have lost.

Keep smiling and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back