What's new

Better pics of BearCreek Mystery Point

BearCreek

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2016
Messages
353
Reaction score
626
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hopefully these show the base and edges better. Thank you for all the nice comments, help, and questions - I'm excited about getting to the bottom of what this is! :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1964.webp
    IMG_1964.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1965.webp
    IMG_1965.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1961.webp
    IMG_1961.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1962.webp
    IMG_1962.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1967.webp
    IMG_1967.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
I believe that the wide flat area on the back of the point is a remnant of the original flake from which your point was made and not a thinning strike. The maker just made good use of what was already there, keeping his investment of time to a minimum. Here's a couple that I found years ago and many brokes from one site. I would consider yours and all of these Santa Fes. Personally, I try not to split hairs typing points, keeping in mind that their were no QC inspectors or set spec sheets issued to each Indian who I am sure put their own signature style on each point. Heck, look how world's apart different siblings with the same parents can be! I also believe that the end product was also influenced by the quality of stone available at the time. There was far more inferior material at the site these came from than there was good stuff.

sf4.webp sf1.webp sf2.webp

sf3.webp sf.webp
 
This is one I have found and nobody has given the same answer twice even at shows.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10381.webp
    SDC10381.webp
    357.2 KB · Views: 81
  • SDC10383.webp
    SDC10383.webp
    348.6 KB · Views: 84
I think sandchip hit the nail on the head. Congrats on the banner:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom