Big and Small the possibilities are endless...

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking through my collection today and I decided to share my largest point and my two smallest points (because I couldn't decide on one). The Pedernales I dug near Camp Wood, TX the two bird points are from NE NM. The variety of points across the nation never cease to amaze me. It makes me think about what game each knapper had in mind at time they broke these rocks. Please feel free to add your own finds to the thread.

20200419_201708_resized_1.jpg 20200419_201611_resized.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The richness and variety of point types and styles acrossed the US is unparalleled in most places... It's almost amazing how consistent the use of triangles and leaf shaped points were in most of Asia, Africa and Europe, while in the Americas someone invented notching and it just drove so much creativity.

OP
OP
PaleIO

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven’t found anything really big but I think my smallest ones are right up there.

Nice finds! The largest point you posted would be a monster in my area! I had to go to TX to find mine. I like the white one a lot that is a beautiful point. It's a good confidence boost to find one smaller than a dime... To me it is proof that I am not missing many

OP
OP
PaleIO

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The richness and variety of point types and styles acrossed the US is unparalleled in most places... It's almost amazing how consistent the use of triangles and leaf shaped points were in most of Asia, Africa and Europe, while in the Americas someone invented notching and it just drove so much creativity.

When do you think the first examples of notched points appeared? One thing that I have always been curious of is multiple notches on one side of a point (the obsidian for example). Do you know the purpose of this? I had an old collector tell me once it was sort of like a maker's mark to differentiate one hunter from another within a hunting party. Do you think this has any truth to it?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently read something about the osage marking their arrows so when a buffalo was killed and processed the hunter that killed it would get his animal. Id say there is credibility to the old hunters theory.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other

That statement is intriguing. Worth a good study.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice points.

that small black point is unique - the notching on the edge is different.

Any theory on this type of notching?

Have you found others like this?
2020-04-21_16-56-09.jpg

OP
OP
PaleIO

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I have several with the same type of notching but it is not always in the same location. Here are a couple more. If I get time this evening I will look for others to share.

20200421_161135.jpg 20200421_161209.jpg

OP
OP
PaleIO

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not all that common but they do turn up from time to time. I dug a rock shelter about 10 yrs ago that contained a larger amount than other spots. Out of roughly 40 points found probably 5-8 had the side notching. The personal ID theory is probably the one I believe most but I am hoping others have some input....

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
When do you think the first examples of notched points appeared? One thing that I have always been curious of is multiple notches on one side of a point (the obsidian for example). Do you know the purpose of this? I had an old collector tell me once it was sort of like a maker's mark to differentiate one hunter from another within a hunting party. Do you think this has any truth to it?

I think Uniface is spot on. Early Archaic, and perhaps late paleo if you extend it to Waller Knives and maybe some of the San Patrice & Dalton material.

Specialized notching like you see on Dovetails, Andice, Thebes, Lost Lake really took off in the early Archaic, and it changed how points were hafted. It also just drove a lot of variety.

Extra-notches on the points, I tend to think they are just ornamental, unless there happens to be a hafting or balance point of view. Some types, like Charcos points, were hafted uniquely. And some of the later types in South Texas have odd notching that might be a legacy from Charcos points.

I have to imagine a little notching on the feathers or on the shaft would be easier to spot on an animal kill vs a notched point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread