Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone and happy Sunday! :hello:

I recently discovered something astonishing! In late March, I was measuring trees to identify their age. While I was measuring a 110 year old tulip popular tree, I looked down to see what I originally thought was a broken mason jar cap. I was so wrong! I saw that it was triangular and suddenly recognized it as a Native American arrowhead! I photographed exactly where I found it and took the latitude and longitude coordinates to record the discovery. At the time of the discovery, I knew that the Lenni-Lenape tribe was the prominent tribe of this area. ( Southeastern Pennsylvania) I picked up the arrowhead and observed that it was made of Quartz and is very thin. That would take some careful knapping! After researching the tribe, I noted that most of the Lenni-Lenape tribe and nearby tribes came to an end in the 1800s. I compared pictures of similar arrowheads and I believe I have found a yadkin point! I'm assuming that is from the late Woodland period, but I may be incorrect. If anyone has any information on it, please don't hesitate to post. I am just an avid collector and researcher of local history. Thanks!

It Measures 24mm x 20mm x 4mm

IMG_8532.JPG

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

IMG_8535.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
That is a very nice looking relic. Can you post the other photo you mentioned you took prior to picking it up?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Congrats on a beautiful arrowhead! A lot of those quartz triangles aren't made nearly as well as yours is.

I think you are probably too far north for it to be a Yadkin, but it's probably the same age as a Yadkin. (Those triangles are found over a huge area, and all are approximately the same age.) It probably predates the named tribes. There was a lot of movement and consolidation as viruses spread before the tribes in the colonial times were established. (Instead of 10 big tribes, there were probably thousands of little ones.)

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beauty.
Very high grade quartz and very well made. The tiny serrations can help with identification. There are several triangle types in your region. I’d lean towards a Shenk’s Ferry, I’m sure someone down your way will jump in with a good ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions