Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took a while to start breathing again. Thanks Lanny! :occasion14:

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Great, now I'm not gonna sleep for 3 days. Lol! I jump for joy when I find a piece of pepper gold. Good Lord! I would have a heart attack out there. M E D I C !!!!!!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speechless...... What can you say.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, that is something to see. There was an operation here in Trinity County a while back that had cleanups like that. They did not get the bigger nuggets shown on the video, the largest the boys got was a two and a half ounce nugget but literally pounds of 17, 16, 15, 10, and 5 pennyweight nuggets. The fines were all rice size and were sorted out each clean up in three pound coffee cans. The boys had to clean up four times a day because of the sheer amount of gold from each run. One excavator, one loader, one dozer. I am glad that I was able to actually witness several of their clean-ups. This went on four months out of the year and lasted for several years before shutting down. The claim had been cut in half, half to be worked and reclaimed then work the other half. Everything was taken care of and the work was to begin on the second half when someone from the USFS got the main guy mad and he just shut it down. He was a big Irishman and did not take any gruff off any of them. This particular site was under an old town and the ground had never been worked. Thirty feet to bedrock. It is still out there. Thanks for the video, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video - I never have seen anything remotely close to that! After replaying it four times, have a couple questions for the experts. First the vast majority
of material seemed to be broken slate bedrock - where was usual rounded cobbles? And when the excavator was feeding it, the material looked like soil - was
that the fine paydirt that falls into bedrock cracks?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing Lanny. That's what dreams are made of.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember we were talking about if all the gold was found.
I think these guys found the rest of it.
That is amazing.
That makes my Piddly 30 piece cleanups look a little inadequate.
It's good to know there are still glory holes out there.:goldpan:

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It took a while to start breathing again. Thanks Lanny! :occasion14:

Terry,

I stopped breathing myself! When the one guy says they've found a potato patch or potatoes, it reminded me of the top of Rich Hill.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
North to Alaska!!!!

No kidding! And, just remember to make sure you're 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle when you start to dig.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To see something like this in real life really could cause gold fever. Amazing!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lanny,
Mike

I think this video epitomizes everything about gold fever. I mean, if you watch it and it doesn't stir some kind of gold getting response, you're pretty imune to the fever.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great, now I'm not gonna sleep for 3 days. Lol! I jump for joy when I find a piece of pepper gold. Good Lord! I would have a heart attack out there. M E D I C !!!!!!

I know what I'll be seeing in my dreams for a while. I'm with you that the sight of all of that gold would give anyone with a heart for the gold a golden coronary!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, that is something to see. There was an operation here in Trinity County a while back that had cleanups like that. They did not get the bigger nuggets shown on the video, the largest the boys got was a two and a half ounce nugget but literally pounds of 17, 16, 15, 10, and 5 pennyweight nuggets. The fines were all rice size and were sorted out each clean up in three pound coffee cans. The boys had to clean up four times a day because of the sheer amount of gold from each run. One excavator, one loader, one dozer. I am glad that I was able to actually witness several of their clean-ups. This went on four months out of the year and lasted for several years before shutting down. The claim had been cut in half, half to be worked and reclaimed then work the other half. Everything was taken care of and the work was to begin on the second half when someone from the USFS got the main guy mad and he just shut it down. He was a big Irishman and did not take any gruff off any of them. This particular site was under an old town and the ground had never been worked. Thirty feet to bedrock. It is still out there. Thanks for the video, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Fantastic reply Ray, and thanks for the story to go with it. That's the kind of story I love to hear, and moreover, all that gold is still there--that's what keeps the dreams going, especially since it's only 30 feet to bedrock! That fires the imagination.

I was on a dig in north-central British Columbia where the sluices all ran yellow with nuggets to the bottom riffle! And, it was a big wash-plant. Now, the boss had gone to town for a few days, and the crew was pushing the dirt too fast--thus the nuggets in the bottom riffle of the three sluices. So, you know what that means--a lot of gold went over. The boss, of course, was furious. I know where that place is, and hopefully I'll get back there one day with my 5000 and have a party. They took out pounds and pounds of gold, and I helped them clean it all, so I know how much they got. Lots of big multi-gram nuggets, and all of the gold in that area is coarse. It's a long story that took place in a very remote location, and some day I'll write it all down

Thanks again for the story, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great video - I never have seen anything remotely close to that! After replaying it four times, have a couple questions for the experts. First the vast majority
of material seemed to be broken slate bedrock - where was usual rounded cobbles? And when the excavator was feeding it, the material looked like soil - was
that the fine paydirt that falls into bedrock cracks?

Watch it again (351-401), and when they play the shot of the gold sitting in the sluice, pause it and you'll see the rounded, varied channel rocks.

All the best, and glad you enjoyed it,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing Lanny. That's what dreams are made of.

You're right on the money! It is what dreams are made of.

Thanks for dropping in, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread