Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-503031332.jpg

Here's a picture of it.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That Butte Nugget, now that's what I'm talking about!!

Thanks for the picture TGL, and all the best,

Lanny

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the video of the Butte Nugget.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I finally got the permission to post the picture of the nugget I talked about earlier.

After all, this is why I started this thread!! And, I'm so glad he let me post his story and the picture of his incredible find.

It's North American placer, and it's a beauty that was found with a metal detector.

28.52 ounces.

Here's the story by the finder:

The rest of the story, where to start?
In 2007 I was in this general area for work, I brought my detector, a 2200, and in the evenings I found a couple of nuggets, 3 & 5 grams if I remember........ Since I returned home from that trip I have been trying to get my boss to move to the area.
In 2011 I convinced the boss to try a new location closer to the area. For the last 4 summers we have been chasing nuggets whenever the chance presented it's self. We camp in the area on weekends.
We have a network of contacts who have active mines, of these we have been able to enter into agreements to check their ground after they finish mining.
This particular claim is a new one that we reached a tentative agreement in August to check their workings at the end for the season. The owner called last Thursday and indicated that Saturday would be good for us. We packed up and were on the road early, 5am. 3 hours later, after driving through a blizzard, we had picked up a buddy and were on site. Not knowing the entry point we found our own way into the pit, turns out the entry point we chose was wrong; however, it worked to my advantage as this was the first signal I got. If I had entered the normal route I would have encountered hot rocks and may not have chased this one!
It was down about 18 inches, I had a Joey coil on the 4500 and it was screaming at me. I had to bust through shale bedrock to find a pocket of cobble that included this nugget. It was all alone, usually there are a few together. We did manage to take some other fines.
All the best, wishing you all one...........

Here it is. I can only wish.

All the best,

Lanny

My main thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that a baseball or a fortune in gold? ;)

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had heard about this... and being in the general area in which this was found turns my gold fever into a full-blown plague! DANG! O.o

It would fire up a beautiful case of gold fever reaching plague dimensions, that's for sure. You're on the money with that comment.

Moreover, the person that found that incredible nugget is the real golden find. You won't ever meet a nicer person. And, for me, the real treasures in nugget hunting have been the incredible people I've met.

All the best,

Lanny

My main thread:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Banner of the month .... Congrats to you

Not my find, as I've stated, but I should get him to enroll and post it on the finds page for sure; that's a great idea!

All the best,

Lanny

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Now THAT'S a Nugget! Can't wait till I find something like that. ;)

If it was a baseball, I sure wouldn't want to take a swing at it with a bat! I also wouldn't want to mess with the pitcher that could hurl that thing from the mound to the plate! He'd have to be some kind of monster that I wouldn't want to tick off.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now THAT'S a Nugget! Can't wait till I find something like that. ;)

If it was a baseball, I sure wouldn't want to take a swing at it with a bat! I also wouldn't want to mess with the pitcher that could hurl that thing from the mound to the plate! He'd have to be some kind of monster that I wouldn't want to tick off.

You've got that right!

I really believe that it's the find of a lifetime for him, and I'd love to find something like that one day as well. I'm with you on that.

All the best,

Lanny

My main thread:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Richard Laughing

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny,
That is one beauty of a find there by your friend.
I'm curious. Having never found any gold yet, let alone a large baseball sized treasure, how does one go about selling it?
And what type of taxes does one have to pay to the IRS or other government entity?

I'm very hopeful for the future :)
Richard

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny,
That is one beauty of a find there by your friend.
I'm curious. Having never found any gold yet, let alone a large baseball sized treasure, how does one go about selling it?
And what type of taxes does one have to pay to the IRS or other government entity?

I'm very hopeful for the future :)
Richard

Thanks for dropping in Richard.

Every State/Province/Territory/Region has their own specific rules as to income from mining or prospecting. So, do a search for your particular area and find out what the rules are. Every place is a little different, so know before you go.

Some people sell their gold on EBAY, others in online auctions on other similar sites, some to jewelers, others to varying groups that like to buy raw gold, etc., etc., it all depends. For larger volumes, gold buyers will frequent gold mining areas to buy direct volume on site from the mines, other miners ship to refineries, still others select out nuggets to sell as individual pieces so they don't get shipped to the refinery. Once again, it all depends.

All the best to you as you get started,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, That is one beauty of a find there by your friend. I'm curious. Having never found any gold yet, let alone a large baseball sized treasure, how does one go about selling it? And what type of taxes does one have to pay to the IRS or other government entity? I'm very hopeful for the future :) Richard
Hi Richard and welcome to Tnet. The IRS wants their cut here in the US. You report it on your 1040, it can get complex since you can also deduct costs incurred I think. Small scale folks often sell to their local prospecting store but I know a LOT of people who never sell any.
PS add more info to your tnet profile so folks know where you are based...makes a lot of questions like this easier to answer.

Back to the topic at hand, I think I'd keep that monster nugget for a while to show off but then sell it as a specimen piece, definitely not just for its gold value!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread