austin
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jul 9, 2012
- Messages
- 5,399
- Reaction score
- 3,509
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- San Antonio, Texas
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett 250
- Primary Interest:
- Other
Well......gonna post this and probably get laughed at, but here goes. I went metal detecting a few weeks ago and swore I saw a mountain lion enter the woods from a brushy area about 150 yards directly ahead of me while walking out at dusk. For those not familiar with the area it is believed they have been gone from here for over a century. I see deer in this area almost every day if I hunt in the evenings or early mornings but felt pretty sure that was not what I saw. This is not the first time I think I have seen one this year, but just a quick glimpse each time. Concerned me enough to walk out with Glock in hand. I hunt coyotes with a retired TWRA officer ( Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency ) and he said he bet was a deer and had heard the BS over the sightings for years but had never seen one or even tracks. I kind of kept it quit and was almost doubting my own sanity when a buddy said a hunter had seen one on his farm and was able to watch it for several minutes. The hunter is also a friend and about as credible as you could find anywhere. Well ......I just got a call that one had been caught one on a game cam about a mile from my sighting and TWRA had confirmed that it was indeed a mountain lion but wants to confirm the authenticity of the picture as far as location. It was recently confirmed that black bears are back in the area for the first time in nearly 50 years. Does my heart good to think some of our natural predators are making a return. I do a lot of walking in and out of the rural areas that I hunt and am going to use a little more caution, but am thrilled over their return and the confirmation on my sighting.![]()
I thought these big kittys were endangered, but I guess not. Better carry more than catnip next time out...
Sorry if that is what you meant,I feel stupid for that not occuring to me sooner?If it is,yes Bobcats are very receptive to distress calling,ours out here are very gullible......and lots of them!!!!!!!!I had one a while back come in and I couldnt get him to leave!!!I have never ever had one act like he did,he bowed up and emitted this low gutteral growl,and all!!!!I actually snapped a photo of him/her
First summer of my camping alone excursions . 9 yrs old . I'd hike out with my beagle dog , rough pack , and shotgun . Make camp on a wooded ridge 3/4 mile from the house in 'the wilds' before dark . Tie dog to tree , lean shotgun against tree , close to hand . Stretch shelter half (raggeldyazzed scrap of tarp) and get a fire going to cook supper . Finish eating a fantastic meal that was either half raw or burnt crunchy and roll into my blankets to sleep until dawn to crow hunt .








