Big Ole Pot, Killer inks and more

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went to dig another pit today and turne up some decent stuff. The 6 gallon pot was the absolute heartbreaker of the day. By the looks of the pics it is in one piece but the right side area below the handle has a hole in it that a root was growing through. >:( >:( Almost pulled out a great one there. Oh well..I did manage to snap up two inkwells. The ceramic one wass the find of the day. Not sure how many of these are floating around but it has some cool color to it. The other one is a "no spill ink". This will be hard to clean. The others are pre 1900's drug bottles that turned out great. All in all it was an enjoyable dig. But we need some rain to loosen up the soil to probe for more. Until next time...be safe out there. jgas.

Attachments

• Pail 1.JPG
    Pail 1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Pail 2.JPG
    Pail 2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Pail 3.JPG
    Pail 3.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Pail 4.JPG
    Pail 4.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Pail 5.JPG
    Pail 5.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 282
  • Pail 6.JPG
    Pail 6.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 289
  • pail 7.JPG
    pail 7.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Pail 8.JPG
    Pail 8.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Pail 9.JPG
    Pail 9.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Pail 10.JPG
    Pail 10.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Pail 11.JPG
    Pail 11.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Pail 12.JPG
    Pail 12.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 288

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Aaaack!!! Another Warner! ;D

Nice bottles - too bad about the pot though.... :'(

On a brighter note, as great as it is to find one of those pots intact, they are virtually indistinguishable from the ones you can buy for $19.95 down at Orchard Supply :laughing9:

The BIMALs bottles on the other hand can be easily distinguished from the "fake" old bottles that you sometimes see for sale. The average joe can't see the difference, but collectors can spot the ABM seam from a mile away! :read2:

Keep posting these pictures, you are keeping me alive vicariously through your bottlin adventures :notworthy:

I probably won't be able to dig again until my next Hawaii trip in September. I'll make sure to post pictures here as well as on the Hawaii page of treasurenet. Anybody interested in seeing my last dig in May can look for the "I'm Coming Back for More!" post :thumbsup:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
jgas, it's unusual to see a monster crock like that come out of the ground. That is amazing. If you don't mind, how do you find so many pits? Do you mostly dig occupied houses, or abandoned properties? Thanks, gleaner.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey all, thanks for the replies so far. It has a been a real treat to hear all the comments about my digging adventures. It has been one hot summer, but a productive one so far.

Gleaner: I usually try to dig in yards that still have the properties standing. But not always. The last couple were vacant lots. I use Sanborn Fire Maps of my town and they are great to locate the approximate areas where the houses were. Thus giving me a better chance and a shorter search. Probing is a killer in this weather and in the hard dirt. But just put yourself in the shoes of a late 1800's homeowner, where would you put a toilet? And start the probing......Good luck out there and be safe...jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
jgas, thanks for the excellent tips. Do you have any comments on gaining permission?. Is it difficult? I just can't figure out an effective way to explain what I want to do to some unwitting land-owner's land. Let me try..."Hello Mr. Jones, I would like to ask permission to excavate the privy on your abandoned lot over on Main Street". Mr. Jones says "You wanna WHAT???!"

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Regards, gleaner

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Most of my permits are gained through "Obsessive Negotiations"...Ha...Really, they are alot of research. First of all I live in a city that has over 600 vacant properties that are on a demolitions list. These homes will be tore down and are owned by the city/taxpayers. Thus these are "no brainers" I dig all day in those with no problems. Secondly I search the Sanborn maps of the area. They have to date back to the 1890's for me to even start to probe. Third I search both the tax assessors office, the current owners through the city auditors office and then try to contact them. Most of them don't care about digging. Alot of our city properties are owned by redevelopers and they really have no problems with us digging. Offer them the bottles you don't want or need and they will be tickled pink with that. And a lot of doors will open for ya. But there are cases where people are just flat out rude and will never allow it, in those cases I just wait for them to move! ;D Hope that helps, if ya need more I am glad to help. Goodluck, jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread