Big Quartzite Chunk

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you guys think it is? E.C. Alabama find.
DSCN1764.JPG DSCN1769.JPG DSCN1770.JPG
DSCN1773.JPG DSCN1774.JPG DSCN1775.JPG

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know but I've got a bunch that look like that in my chip pile that I've made over the years. It looks like a biface that failed fairly early in production. When they snap at that thickness it is almost always due to a crack, seam, bedding plane, or whatever you want to call it that creates a weakness in the rock. Lots of that kind of nonsense in quartzite. If so, though, almost certainly would be found near the rock source and should be associated with other debitage. If not, maybe a flake core?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah, quartzite is a problematic stone to work.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think Keith is correct (as usual when it comes to reduction/knapping things.)

It looks worked, it looks like it didn’t work well, and it looks like the knapper didn’t want to spent much time fiddling with something that probably wouldn’t produce what he wanted to produce.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
That looks like what we call sugar quartz here in N. Ga.. I have a few points and knives of this same color and looking stone. Some large and some small.I wonder why this material was used as its not sharp and none are unbroken. However, I'm old but not ancient. Enjoyed this post, pictures, discussions.

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call that a very early stage preform or knife. Real good size to it. I find stuff called Swan River chert around my area sometimes that is kind of similar but a little more fine grained. Still some tough stuff to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread