mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday morning I was up early to join Jim (Time4Me) for a hunt. After feeding my cats I was waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. While I was standing at my kitchen counter I thought to myself, "I really need to clean up the counter and sort through this mess."
kitchen.JPG
Yes, I am single! Is it that obvious?

I grabbed this rusty looking hunk of metal and I'm wondering why it has been sitting on my counter for the last two weeks. I had pulled it out of a sidewalk tear-out. I remember digging it up and it being a good signal. When I pulled it out of the hole I thought maybe it was one of those brass snap valve covers due to its shape. I also remember wondering what it was doing under a sidewalk, but I realized it was rather pointless to try to figure that out.
Blob.JPG

I figured I would toss it in the trash. As I picked it up and looked at the edge, something caught my eye.
edge.JPG

Is that silver?
As it had dried out for the last two weeks the crust had become very brittle and I cracked open the cookie.
cracked open.JPG

Remember it is just after 5:00 AM and I haven't had any coffee and the light is poor. I was thinking it must be some sort of half dollar at first, but then I grabbed a nearby clad half dollar and realized it was a dollar sized coin.

Last night I rubbed it out with some baking soda to clean off the gray crust.
cleaned1.JPG cleaned2.JPG

It's a 1922-S Peace Dollar!, and my first one. I found a Morgan dollar in January, but I will save that for another post. So this is my second silver dollar this year!

I have a new rule: Before throwing away random blobs, I should hit them with my Sunray probe to listen again and try to figure out what it might be before throwing it away. It makes me wonder if I have thrown away any other crusted up coins...

Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Upvote 23

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good thing you caught that! Nice find :)

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One mans' almost trash is a new found treasure. Nice Oreo :)

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you did bout mess up.great looking piece dollar.way to go.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the heads up, I never thought a silver coin could crust up that bad. Oh yeah, great find, still on my wish list.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the heads up, I never thought a silver coin could crust up that bad. Oh yeah, great find, still on my wish list.

This was found in San Francisco which was built mostly on sand dunes. There is sand under all of the sidewalks. Judging by the color of the concretion, it appears that there was a piece of iron nearby that slowly dissolved into rust and fused the sand together. It was hard when I found it, but quite brittle after it had dried out.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that was a close call. awesome peace dollar. been waiting nearly 4 decades for my first. I just know it has to be awesome to dig one

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations :icon_thumright:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this post! I'm so glad you didn't throw that puppy out.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-never saw any dry land coin that crusted. Saltwater coins-yes. Nice catch.

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Now THAT is an amazing story and a beautiful coin! The pics tell the tale. Great save!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! That would have been a tragedy to throw that away. Congrats on the GREAT find, and then discovering that find again.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, I have some crusty stuff that went Beep. Better investigate that. Though I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be a bolt or a washer. LOL. I haven't thrown away any rusty stuff from last year. Great save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions