Big Surprise in the Woods Yesterday!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is bothersome...what are you doing in the woods if you draw a pistol when you hear a noise?
are the woods required to hush and settle down when you arrive?
beside a drawn pistol{ we'll get back to this}
you have a cell phone? how can you call it the woods, if you have cell reception?
I don't even have cell phone use at the library...it rings, I have to walk outside and down the around the building to get cell phone reception.
now...a phone and a drawn pistol...what would have happened if a child playing cowboys and Indians jumped up and yelled bang...?

I have had cell coverage in the middle of a national forest outside of yellowstone n.p.

No where in his post does he say he pulled his pistol, he said he had his hand on his pistol, that is not drawn...

Stop looking for ever excuse to challenge members who chose to be armed...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is bothersome...what are you doing in the woods if you draw a pistol when you hear a noise?
are the woods required to hush and settle down when you arrive?
beside a drawn pistol{ we'll get back to this}
you have a cell phone? how can you call it the woods, if you have cell reception?
I don't even have cell phone use at the library...it rings, I have to walk outside and down the around the building to get cell phone reception.
now...a phone and a drawn pistol...what would have happened if a child playing cowboys and Indians jumped up and yelled bang...?

What kind of parent allows their child to play Cowboys & Indians alone (& potentially engage random strangers) in woods where people hunt?

EDIT: From Dictionary.com, "woods" is defined as: "a collection of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, etc, usually dominated by one or a few species of tree: usually smaller than a forest." Idk about you, but I don't see any reference to cell phone reception availability in that definition. That you live in your carrier's receptive Death Valley is your own fault; switch to a new carrier. I hear Verizon has great coverage everywhere :)

Last edited:

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
W pa. here. They're all over, you can hear them in the valley below in the evening.

Old man was testing his call last winter, next morning the house is surrounded by tracks.

He's gotten a few of them for local farmers.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt coyotes on a regular basis. If the wind is in your favor and you are totally still it is not uncommon to have them come VERY close. When I say "not uncommon" I mean I have had it happen a handful of times spending the majority of my life as an avid hunter and outdoorsman. Using a distress call, a whole different ballgame as you are ringing the dinner bell, I have nearly had them run me over. Started to post some pics as I have one that is a hoss but may be offensive to a few.

The warden and I were having an evening fire at a closed regional park last week. We heard the yotes so we called to them. This went on for a few minutes then not far above us a group called back. It kind of spooked us as we've never had them come in that close in the dark, and they were close. We were surrounded by rolling hills so I guess that they finally saw the little fire and left. The breeze was blowing the smoke toward the lake and away from those hills.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Pippin. Every thread I read on here has a negative comment from you. Is this what you do for fun?

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep...that's me...facts are such a disturbing activity to some people...

carry a loaded pistol through the woods, because you heard something that did not have your permission to be there, endangering everyone and everything that may be out there...and I am the negative one...

too rich.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No... and that's why it's your prejudice and not fact: carry a loaded pistol through the woods, because you heard something and don't know its intentions or level of perceived threat, because you have equal right to be there as it does, and any provocation on its part will result in self defense on yours. It is a standoff until either side concedes or attacks.

You think other animals don't have the same instincts?
You think other animals don't fight over territory?
I guess all the animals should just respect each others' personal space, huh?
Who defined whose territory he was walking in?
As a Native American, do you carry a knife in the woods, or a bow?
Can I criticize you for your choice of weaponry, which I might add takes a lot longer to kill than a bullet, a lot longer to draw and is a lot less effective than a gun?

God help you if you're ever in a situation where a gun would have saved your life and you (or anyone near you) didn't have one.

So yes, it was you who was the negative one. "The only consistent feature in all your dissatisfying relationships is you." ~ Unknown

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't carry weapons to walk in the woods...
I don't pull weapons out at every sound in the forest...
i certainly do not go full blast paranoid and creep around in the forest with a drawn weapon.
neither do rational people.
if you are afraid of the forests, stay on the porch.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are you so desperate to quarrel Don? You succeeded in making me feel sorry for you, if that was your intention.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't carry weapons to walk in the woods...
I don't pull weapons out at every sound in the forest...
i certainly do not go full blast paranoid and creep around in the forest with a drawn weapon.
neither do rational people.
if you are afraid of the forests, stay on the porch.

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Pippin, you're pushing an issue of your own making, as all
the man did was put his hand on his weapon just in case
he had to defend himself from a large predator.

Don't know how much time you've had in the real woods
Pippin, but the first thing any decent guide is going to tell
a greenhorn is that humans are not at the top of the
food chain
, and that they should conduct themselves
accordingly.

When a cougar has been stalking you, and it finally begins
it's "charge" from 15' away you've got about 2 seconds to draw
and fire that weapon. If ya don't, you will most definitely get mauled,
and possibly wind up as that big cat's supper.

Rational people who don't wish to become supper for a critter
that's higher up on the food chain carry a weapon or some
means of defending themselves should the need arise.

As I read this entire thread, I notice two things 1) you've
completely hijacked the man's thread based entirely on your
erroneous presumptions about how people with firearms
conduct themselves, and 2) how often you use the words
"I" and "me" in your posts.

No disrespect, but the threads not about you and your personal
agenda, but about Kibkibble's close encounter with a coyote (which is
waay cool, btw!)

My apologies to the Mod's and the forum, but I just couldn't keep shut
any longer.

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
having been nose to nose whith a "cougar", puma, or what ever you call a big old kittie...unarmed and i walked away unharmed...
been within twenty feet of a jaguar on the border...walked away alive and unharmed...
had bobcats attend to my camp every morning for months...still here...no kitties hurt in process.

ill-advised behavior in the wilds can kill you as fast as stepping out into traffic.
acting like Rambo in north Vietnam is delusional behavior at best...
unsafe weapons owners kill more people than those trained.
if you don't like comments about unsafe weapons behavior...don't post them in public.

my behavior is called situational awareness...not situational paranoia

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you don't like comments about unsafe weapons behavior...don't post them in public.

NONE were. You just went off on your own track because the man had
a handgun, essentially, making a mountain out of what began as a depression
in the ground.

I too have been nose to nose with a cougar in the wild, and have hands-on
experience with several tigers, lions, cheetahs and a few other large cats. Not a one
of which were harmed. I've seen all of them look completely harmless and docile, when
in fact they were sizing me up for a meal. Experience and common sense is what kept
me alive.

A bobcat will not attack an adult human unless it is cornered and sees no other
way out. In going nose to nose with a wild, mature cougar and both of us walking away
unscathed...well, truth is we either scared the cat and it ran, or we got damn lucky.

Regarding the firearms: People have RIGHTS, and all the noise you make here
about them exercising those rights to protect themselves and their families will
never change a thing. You already know that, so are you just looking for an argument
so you can express more of your personal views?

You won't get that opportunity from me any further, as I do not do the "debate"
thing, especially over an issue that has already been settled in the highest courts
in the land.

We differ on politics but I'm sure there's a hundred things we do share in
common, and this issue is no real biggie. I do wish you well, and hope you find
"mucho oro" in the future!

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't that have been a good picture to get. 8-)

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take your Verizon out on the rez and call me.

glad it is all me...shoot first and deny is the new safe weapons practice.

If you look at kibkibble 's name below it it says he is in Northern West Virgina, not the indian rez in Az.......................

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having been nose to nose whith a "cougar", puma, or what ever you call a big old kittie...unarmed and i walked away unharmed...
been within twenty feet of a jaguar on the border...walked away alive and unharmed...
had bobcats attend to my camp every morning for months...still here...no kitties hurt in process.

ill-advised behavior in the wilds can kill you as fast as stepping out into traffic.
acting like Rambo in north Vietnam is delusional behavior at best...
unsafe weapons owners kill more people than those trained.

Pip, you are not TeasureNet's Firearms instructor. Everytime anyone posts any kind of comment on the forums about firearms you attack them. You want to attack gun owners do it on another forum, not on TreasureNet forums....... let me see if I can make it clear.....

Stop attacking TreasureNet members on the forums about their firearms!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread