Big Surprise in the Woods Yesterday!!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have had coyotes here for some time,i live on top of a massive hill got 50 acres and two houses in site ,been here 22 years
Those coyotes surrounded my son on a 4 wheeler ,on a full moon nite years ago he just barely got away.
I hear they all the time kackliny...they make a horrably noise as they hunt as they chase their pray out of a mile of woods into.... my pastures...the buggers love cat ...got all of mine....So i tip them over when ever i see them....the wolves eye my two bit bulls....but they keep their distance,or i`ll let the air out of them TOO
My neighbor have cows beef biz. and looses 9-12 calfs a year from the coyotes and Wolves and Cougars.
Now if i could carry a hand gun ....i could hunt a little farther out in the cliffs on an old wagon road...but them big cats love that kind of area,so i stay out as i hunt alone....PiP coyotes are not you friend... guns ARE !!
Gary

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have coyotes come up on my porch and eat the kitty food and drink water...
distinct differences in urban reactions to coyotes...

With all due respect, by leaving that food outside you are enabling
a situation that will ultimately lead to an untimely end to their lives.
Those same coyotes will go on someone else's porch (it's where they
find the food, right?), and then take some kids cat home for a snack.

It's those very same coyote's that ADC hunters like Kuger and I have been
forced to kill so many of. We had a fellow up here that was going through a
50 lb. sack of dog food a week feeding the local coyotes. There was enough
food that the females had big litters 2 years running, and the neighbors
started complaining when their outside pets (all of 'em) became coyote chow.
The next Fall I trapped 22 coyotes out of a 640 acre parcel of woods directly
behind his unfenced yard..and the game trail to his backyard looked more
like a freeway!

Please, do not feed wildlife, as you're basically condemning those
animals to death. I'm no longer an "executioner", but hated it every
time I had to pull the trigger on yet another animal that, had they
not been fed, wouldn't have had to die.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Are facts getting muddied here?

A hand gun for self defence , I can see that, a hand gun for hunting, probably not
Protecting yourself with a gun, to each his own, gunning down a forest creature when they're not seasonally hunted or not being a nuisance , stupid

Thing is nobody got hurt, he could have shot with his camera and had much more positive responded post

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With all due respect, by leaving that food outside you are enabling
a situation that will ultimately lead to an untimely end to their lives.
Those same coyotes will go on someone else's porch (it's where they
find the food, right?), and then take some kids cat home for a snack.

It's those very same coyote's that ADC hunters like Kuger and I have been
forced to kill so many of. We had a fellow up here that was going through a
50 lb. sack of dog food a week feeding the local coyotes. There was enough
food that the females had big litters 2 years running, and the neighbors
started complaining when their outside pets (all of 'em) became coyote chow.
The next Fall I trapped 22 coyotes out of a 640 acre parcel of woods directly
behind his unfenced yard..and the game trail to his backyard looked more
like a freeway!

Please, do not feed wildlife, as you're basically condemning those
animals to death. I'm no longer an "executioner", but hated it every
time I had to pull the trigger on yet another animal that, had they
not been fed, wouldn't have had to die.

where I live...I am the wildlife...the animals were here on the porch before me, and will be after I am gone...this is within the natural life cycle of a coyote.
there is also a family of raccoons, skunks, cats...one rather large and skittish...the javilina are MIA..probable road kill..there was male, female, four piglets.
I quit feeding the birds, since the cats came from all over to eat them.
I attempted to run the rest off. but the damage from the animals rooting about the porch areas had me just give up.
I feed the cats...the cats bring others home...great studies on that behavior...
everyone else feeds after I go to bed...

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own......as for pests around my land, they die.
Now I do not see killing without reason, but animals that create problems, need to be resolved.
It does not take long if you search to see how preditors attack innocent people. People are no match for the larger preditors and hence the value of weapons.
Around my are people who feed animals create problems that will die because they cause problems.

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I just have to tell you what happened yesterday when I was out swinging....
Ok, I was getting ready to wrap up my day. I was tired so I decided to set down for minute and send a text. I was on a slight incline (down slope) that curved around in front of me. All of a sudden I heard the leave moving down below in the distance. It kept getting closer and closer to me. I thought.....it was a deer and it would see me and run away. With my left hand on my iPhone and my right on my 9mm Beretta (always carry in the woods) I became a statue. I was wearing full camo so I thought whatever was coming there was a good chance if I remained completely still it would not see me. Within 30 seconds a coyote came trotting around the hillside, from right to left RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! Within 25 feet of me! Too dang close!!!
Too my surprise he did not notice me one bit.............until he picked up my scent downwind. In a blink of an eye he did an immediate 360 and almost ran right into me without knowing I was there. Luckily he was gone like lightning! Freaked me out big time!

That was my find yesterday!!!: :eek:

KibKibble, congratulations on the close encounter! Most people will never see a wild coyote in their entire life and not because the coyotes aren't around, but because they are that illusive. Having one come close in the woods is an experience you'll never forget.

I always have a weapon on me when I'm in the woods too. Not paranoid, just a smart thing to do. I've had a few close (dangerous) encounters in my lifetime with both 4 and 2 legged critters. Always smart to be prepared.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's right. It might have been the one that killed my neighbors jack russel.

and it might not have been, you blame the whole bunch for the transgression of one, talk about painting them all with the same brush

seems like senseless killing to me

but I'll suppose you actually saw a coyote kill your neighbours dog with your own eyes

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A hand gun for self defence , I can see that, a hand gun for hunting, probably not
Protecting yourself with a gun, to each his own, gunning down a forest creature when they're not seasonally hunted or not being a nuisance , stupid

Thing is nobody got hurt, he could have shot with his camera and had much more positive responded post

Reread original post, no animal was shot, pistol was not even pulled, if you reread the original post he said he place his hand on his firearm, he does not say he pulled it...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, under AZ laws hunting coyotes are open season year around with license.

Laws and Policies

"Coyotes are classified as predators and have an open, year-round hunting season. A valid license is required, except in a case where livestock has been killed. See Arizona Game and Fish DepartmentHunting Regulations

West Virgina laws the same, open season year around.

Coyote Hunting Regulations

Coyotes may be hunted year round.

Hunting coyotes at night using any color artificial light is legal from January 1 thru July 31.

Firearms legal for night coyote hunting are shotguns with #2 or smaller shot and rifles and handguns of .22 caliber centerfire or smaller and .22 caliber rimfire or smaller.

During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to and from the open field.

Electronic calls are legal.

There is no daily, annual or season bag limit.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I don't believe I ever said he took out his weapon either

My comment is based on your quote below. You talk about gunning down a forest creature when in fact no gun was pulled much less shot or any animal killed....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time he starts to head to you wave your camo arms and yell boogedy boogedy boogedy. Should work on coyotes, works on kids. (just kidding, my kids are 30 and 33)

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had coyotes running around in our neighborhood lately...warnings from local authority to watch your dogs and small children??? Along with raccoons, possums, squirrels, skunks with baby skunks 'way cute' wild parrots...I live in Redondo Beach Ca. half block from the ocean???? The're all looking for food and water....On top of all this I'm out about waist deep in Manhattan Beach yesterday, lookin' for pirate treasure, and I notice the local lady lifeguard waving me over. She's very nice and says" there are two 8 ft. baby great whites just hangin' out...like 50ft from me"!!
Next thing a lifeguard rolls by on a jet ski informing all the boogie boarders and body surfers that there are sharks lurking in shallow water..yikes! I moved back to the wet sand.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had coyotes running around in our neighborhood lately...warnings from local authority to watch your dogs and small children??? Along with raccoons, possums, squirrels, skunks with baby skunks 'way cute' wild parrots...I live in Redondo Beach Ca. half block from the ocean???? The're all looking for food and water....On top of all this I'm out about waist deep in Manhattan Beach yesterday, lookin' for pirate treasure, and I notice the local lady lifeguard waving me over. She's very nice and says" there are two 8 ft. baby great whites just hangin' out...like 50ft from me"!!
Next thing a lifeguard rolls by on a jet ski informing all the boogie boarders and body surfers that there are sharks lurking in shallow water..yikes! I moved back to the wet sand.
Leaving a brown trail no doubt....that's just frightening, and amazing at the same time.

SS

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
My comment is based on your quote below. You talk about gunning down a forest creature when in fact no gun was pulled much less shot or any animal killed....

I was merely contributing to the ongoing debate in this thread, and never commented on the OPs use of his firearm
if you want read some of the other contributors thoughts and comment on those,be my guest, because that is what I was doing, and I wasn't quoting anyone , I was just saying

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, under AZ laws hunting coyotes are open season year around with license.

Laws and Policies

"Coyotes are classified as predators and have an open, year-round hunting season. A valid license is required, except in a case where livestock has been killed. See Arizona Game and Fish DepartmentHunting Regulations

West Virgina laws the same, open season year around.

Coyote Hunting Regulations

Coyotes may be hunted year round.

Hunting coyotes at night using any color artificial light is legal from January 1 thru July 31.

Firearms legal for night coyote hunting are shotguns with #2 or smaller shot and rifles and handguns of .22 caliber centerfire or smaller and .22 caliber rimfire or smaller.

During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to and from the open field.

Electronic calls are legal.

There is no daily, annual or season bag limit.

this spring I looked up the laws here In Indiana after coyotes were near at night. they can be legally killed any time they are on your property, without any license

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions