Big Surprise in the Woods Yesterday!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This time of year you get a bunch of adolescent coyotes out looking for
chow to help them through the cold nights to come. Being youngsters,
their going for the easiest meal they can find, and if someone is leaving
cat/dog food outside they're gonna eat it..along with any pet critters
they can catch.

Once the coyote gets accustomed to people, they become much more
dangerous. If they don't fear you, or hunting/eating in your backyard, then
that little 2-3 year old crawling across the grass while playing becomes
a "food source". 4 legs down, and smells bad, but it looks like prey to them.
Thank the Lord this rarely happens, but it has, and will likely happen again
when people wanna be "nature lovers" and feed the poor, hungry coyotes.

I've had to kill hundreds of these coyotes, and I'm sure that Kuger has
as well. I didn't want to, and at times would even go to the lengths of
hunting just the one or two coyotes in a bunch that were causing the
trouble. Still, the numbers add up quickly when it often means taking
10 (or more) in a night/day trip, and doing that 3-4 days a week. Many
of those were killing sheep or other livestock, however many others could
have gone on living had they not become "citified". Keep in mind that
just because a person has unique skills at certain tasks does not mean,
in any way, that they enjoy doing that job in the slightest. It has to
be done, but what a senseless waste of critters lives, and some of
it can be avoided.

Please, don't feed wildlife...discourage them from being in your yard,
and let them find their own, natural foods. This includes possums, skunks,
'coons, coyotes or any other wild critter (aside from birds and city squirrels).

You're doing them a huge favor, and may be saving their lives as a result as well
as saving some ADC hunter the awful task of having to put the animal down.

Last edited:

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
and it might not have been, you blame the whole bunch for the transgression of one, talk about painting them all with the same brush

seems like senseless killing to me

but I'll suppose you actually saw a coyote kill your neighbours dog with your own eyes

Here in Pa there is no closed season for coyote. 30 yrs ago they did not exist here. Their numbers have increased dramatically in recent years. They have no real natural predator here, so naturally I have become their real predator. It helps the balance.

makes sense to me.

No I did not see the neighbors dog killed with my own eyes. I didn't even see it with someone else eyes. They came home to find their old dog dead and their young dog severly injured, both laying in the driveway. They took the young dog to the vet and it had to be put down. The vet said it was a coyote. I would expect you would get over the death of a coyote, much quicker than they did losing two family members. You have my sympathy anyhow.
I've been catching a glimpse of a big black male all summer. Saw him dead in the middle of the road last week about a mile from here. As I pulled up beside him I opened my truck door to check him out. I seen he had a mouth full of porcupine quills. I chuckled and said to him "rough nite buddy?"

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I would have had the Smith out and cocked! I've come face-to-face with to many bear in the woods. I not as good as Davy Crockett
being able to grin them down!:laughing7:

I no longer hunt game... the last 5 years of deer hunting I used my Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum. Our shooting distance here is a lot less than you Western hunters... maybe 100 yards at the most? Using a pistol in thick cover is faster and easier to carry.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Pa there is no closed season for coyote. 30 yrs ago they did not exist here. Their numbers have increased dramatically in recent years. They have no real natural predator here, so naturally I have become their real predator. It helps the balance.

makes sense to me.

No I did not see the neighbors dog killed with my own eyes. I didn't even see it with someone else eyes. They came home to find their old dog dead and their young dog severly injured, both laying in the driveway. They took the young dog to the vet and it had to be put down. The vet said it was a coyote. I would expect you would get over the death of a coyote, much quicker than they did losing two family members. You have my sympathy anyhow.
I've been catching a glimpse of a big black male all summer. Saw him dead in the middle of the road last week about a mile from here. As I pulled up beside him I opened my truck door to check him out. I seen he had a mouth full of porcupine quills. I chuckled and said to him "rough nite buddy?"
Black coyote?

OP
OP
K

Kibkibble

Oct 6, 2013
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA Ultra 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being new to this site, my original post of the coyote encounter was SOOOOO intended to be as innocent as any post I have ever posted on the net could be. My sole intent was to share with all of you a very infrequent moment in my life that made the adrenaline flow. See.........In our everyday lives we kind of get bogged down with the same stuff over and over and over everyday. Some people such as myself, sort of wonder what happened to the excitement that I used to feel when I was younger. It's sort of gets like living "Groundhog Day" over and over, day after day. Having said that, it is rare that I get to feel that feeling of excitement anymore.

In the 43 years that I have been on this planet, I have leaned 3 important things that I hold true:
1. When you finally encounter those little moments in time that gets your heart beating and the adrenaline flowing.............enjoy them, cuz the next one could take a while to find you!
2. Do the things that make you happy inside, no matter what other people think!
3. Don't surround yourself with people who are negative and/or confrontational!

That is how I found this hobby. I like to go off and detect because it makes me happy inside. When I make a great find my heart beats and it feels wonderful. Its a natural high!!! The thought of finding something great is just fantastic! Sure some think detecting is silly and a waist of time, but that's OK! It makes ME happy!

OK, back to the post........
Thanks to all of you for your comments! I think most of you reading this know that there is always a few that just can't play nice in the sandbox with others (i.e PIPPIN)! WHAT A PIECE OF WORK!!!
From some of the posts, it appears that he is known to be a troublemaker here on Treasure.net. Well, as #3 states above.......I will not respond to any of his postings!

For all the rest of you, here is a little more info about the me and the original post....
I live in Monongalia County, West Virginia! West Virginia's official slogan: Wild and Wonderful! HENCE: Wild!!!
I spent 4 years in Marine Corp and was in the first Gulf war of 1990. I carried a 9mm Beretta for 2 years while in the corp and love the dang thing. I am a licensed CC holder with the Sheriff's office and respect all laws. I do not go where its posted private property and I always ask permission while out reconning new potential sites for detecting.

As most of you caught, I just place my hand on the grip while still in the holster. Since WV has a plethora of wild game (i.e Bear) and I was uncertain as to what was coming at me, I was at the ready just in case the target coming at me was not to friendly. As for video of the encounter....all happened to quick! Hard to go from app to app with one hand. As for hunting season, deer season starts week of Thanksgiving. Wanted to get my detecting in before then.

Thats it! Nothing happened and nothing was harmed! If you have an agenda, wish to express you convoluted opinions and want to lobby something or someone......hit the stinking bricks to D.C!!! I am sure your will find others just like yourself!

Semper Fi,

Kib

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story...wow.. deer season starts late over there...we're already out of archery and almost done with General season.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being new to this site, my original post of the coyote encounter was SOOOOO intended to be as innocent as any post I have ever posted on the net could be. My sole intent was to share with all of you a very infrequent moment in my life that made the adrenaline flow. See.........In our everyday lives we kind of get bogged down with the same stuff over and over and over everyday. Some people such as myself, sort of wonder what happened to the excitement that I used to feel when I was younger. It's sort of gets like living "Groundhog Day" over and over, day after day. Having said that, it is rare that I get to feel that feeling of excitement anymore.

In the 43 years that I have been on this planet, I have leaned 3 important things that I hold true:
1. When you finally encounter those little moments in time that gets your heart beating and the adrenaline flowing.............enjoy them, cuz the next one could take a while to find you!
2. Do the things that make you happy inside, no matter what other people think!
3. Don't surround yourself with people who are negative and/or confrontational!

That is how I found this hobby. I like to go off and detect because it makes me happy inside. When I make a great find my heart beats and it feels wonderful. Its a natural high!!! The thought of finding something great is just fantastic! Sure some think detecting is silly and a waist of time, but that's OK! It makes ME happy!

OK, back to the post........
Thanks to all of you for your comments! I think most of you reading this know that there is always a few that just can't play nice in the sandbox with others (i.e PIPPIN)! WHAT A PIECE OF WORK!!!
From some of the posts, it appears that he is known to be a troublemaker here on Treasure.net. Well, as #3 states above.......I will not respond to any of his postings!

For all the rest of you, here is a little more info about the me and the original post....
I live in Monongalia County, West Virginia! West Virginia's official slogan: Wild and Wonderful! HENCE: Wild!!!
I spent 4 years in Marine Corp and was in the first Gulf war of 1990. I carried a 9mm Beretta for 2 years while in the corp and love the dang thing. I am a licensed CC holder with the Sheriff's office and respect all laws. I do not go where its posted private property and I always ask permission while out reconning new potential sites for detecting.

As most of you caught, I just place my hand on the grip while still in the holster. Since WV has a plethora of wild game (i.e Bear) and I was uncertain as to what was coming at me, I was at the ready just in case the target coming at me was not to friendly. As for video of the encounter....all happened to quick! Hard to go from app to app with one hand. As for hunting season, deer season starts week of Thanksgiving. Wanted to get my detecting in before then.

Thats it! Nothing happened and nothing was harmed! If you have an agenda, wish to express you convoluted opinions and want to lobby something or someone......hit the stinking bricks to D.C!!! I am sure your will find others just like yourself!

Semper Fi,

Kib

Kip, there was nothing wrong with your post or actions you described in your post.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had coyotes running around in our neighborhood lately...warnings from local authority to watch your dogs and small children??? Along with raccoons, possums, squirrels, skunks with baby skunks 'way cute' wild parrots...I live in Redondo Beach Ca. half block from the ocean???? The're all looking for food and water....On top of all this I'm out about waist deep in Manhattan Beach yesterday, lookin' for pirate treasure, and I notice the local lady lifeguard waving me over. She's very nice and says" there are two 8 ft. baby great whites just hangin' out...like 50ft from me"!!
Next thing a lifeguard rolls by on a jet ski informing all the boogie boarders and body surfers that there are sharks lurking in shallow water..yikes! I moved back to the wet sand.

I am not even going to wade into this discussion,but I have to tell you that people are activly being attacked by coyotes in the greater LA area and have been for the last 10+ years.The coyotes of Urban areas have adapted to living within cities and doing quite well,they are not the normal catch a mouse/deer type animals,they are often living in storm drains,living on hand outs from people,cats(small dogs) and other easy sources.They have no fear of people...no reason to,and see people as a food source.With no population control,their numbers are rising and when one is hungry they have noting against giving a person a nip...which isnt an ordinary nip...Please look at the last report,in the last link I have provided.I am not saying that attacks are common.Givin the fact that there over 1,million coyotes in the US,the conflicts are actually low,but in URBAN settings,we are seeing a trend

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Coyote-Bites-Drags-Toddler-at-OC-Cemetery-216600781.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/coyote-attacks
http://www.urbancoyoteresearch.com/WhiteandGehrt_CoyoteAttacks.pdf

I was involved with the writting of this report as well as responded to several of the situations noted.Report authored by two of my close friends

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=vpc21

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason it is open season on coyote in most states year round.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...to the OP....consider yourself very fortunate to have been at one with nature in the truest form of the word.Anytime you can be undetected by one of the most cunning and aware animals there is...is a huge honor,and one that you should feel privileged to have been able to experience

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...to the OP....consider yourself very fortunate to have been at one with nature in the truest form of the word.Anytime you can be undetected by one of the most cunning and aware animals there is...is a huge honor,and one that you should feel privileged to have been able to experience

Have to agree with this. Coyotes are very, very elusive and wary. You apparently had the wind working in your advantage. It's almost as though they can read your intentions. No matter how quiet and stealthy you are, they are one step ahead. Moments like you had are exactly why I prefer to be alone in the woods. No conversation to scare away the wildlife.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is bothersome...what are you doing in the woods if you draw a pistol when you hear a noise?
are the woods required to hush and settle down when you arrive?
beside a drawn pistol{ we'll get back to this}
you have a cell phone? how can you call it the woods, if you have cell reception?
I don't even have cell phone use at the library...it rings, I have to walk outside and down the around the building to get cell phone reception.
now...a phone and a drawn pistol...what would have happened if a child playing cowboys and Indians jumped up and yelled bang...?

first...Arizona unlike the rest of the universe, it appears, does not have complete cell phone coverage...something to do with mountains and basins and all the vast national forest.
sorry, I am not in charge of cell phone service.
second...I did make a mistake posting you had drawn the weapon...sorry...
third...I did ask a fair question, which was answered by none, though some had fun in passing.
fourth. many parents in the west allowed their children to wander in the woods with lions bear and coyotes...and coatimundi White-Nosed Coati - Coatimundi - DesertUSA
we lose more children to back yard swimming pools than coyote attacks...though today there was a report of another bobcat attack...rabies is a troublesome illness.

but you still did not answer a rational question. nor is it required...have a nice day.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
"but you still did not answer a rational question. nor is it required...have a nice day"

Hey, Pippin...

You have asked several questions in this thread... which one needs an answer?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I just have to tell you what happened yesterday when I was out swinging....
Ok, I was getting ready to wrap up my day. I was tired so I decided to set down for minute and send a text. I was on a slight incline (down slope) that curved around in front of me. All of a sudden I heard the leave moving down below in the distance. It kept getting closer and closer to me. I thought.....it was a deer and it would see me and run away. With my left hand on my iPhone and my right on my 9mm Beretta (always carry in the woods) I became a statue. I was wearing full camo so I thought whatever was coming there was a good chance if I remained completely still it would not see me. Within 30 seconds a coyote came trotting around the hillside, from right to left RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! Within 25 feet of me! Too dang close!!!
Too my surprise he did not notice me one bit.............until he picked up my scent downwind. In a blink of an eye he did an immediate 360 and almost ran right into me without knowing I was there. Luckily he was gone like lightning! Freaked me out big time!

That was my find yesterday!!!: :eek:

Great story. It is a thrill to have them come in that close and not detect you. It is rare that they stop even for a second it seems. Thanks for sharing. I get to watch them on occasion as well. :thumbsup:

KY PI

Sep 19, 2011
Northeastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Kip, First of all......Thanks for your service to our country!
I enjoyed your story and as your "neighbor" (I'm from northeastern Kentucky), I have had a similar incident as you and it does get your "heart pumping"! One of the greatest benefits to our hobby is enjoying nature and hunting in the woods has been pretty productive for me cause many of my best finds have been in wooded, abandoned old home sites and camp sites.
I hope everyone has a fun and productive fall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions