watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was out with "Kimsdad" near a spot in the woods that "Dirt Fishing Wolf" & I had hit this past weekend.
Back in the 1930's there was an farm on this site. . . now long gone. . . except for a shallow depression
surrounded by lannon stone that was once the foundation of main house. After spending some time digging
iron and miscellaneous trash, I headed west, stopping to hunt around any large tree I saw in the forest.

Well, those trees payed off.

My first indication that this might be a productive area was an intact, embossed "Orange Crush" soda bottle.
About 5-feet away from where I found the soda bottle, were 4 Wheaties and a 1920 Buffalo. The Buff (OK, Indian)
appeared to have been used for a "BB" gun target practice because of the indentations around the Indian's profile.

So, trees must be good.

As I hunted on, I saw a cluster of 4 more Oak trees that were at least 100-years old, and while hunting
the 3rd Oak, I got an "iffy" signal at 5-inches. I was elated when I saw the silver rim of a dime in the pile
of dirt next to the hole I had just dug. It was encrusted with dirt so I couldn't see a date but I knew it
was a Barber. . . when I finally cleaned it after getting home, it had a date of 1910.

As I started circling the tree where I had found the dime, I got a signal that was "worthy".
The end result was a 51-cent pocket spill. . . two SLQ's and a 1926 Wheat.

I would have stayed longer but I was running late for my dentist appointment.

You're darn right I'll be back!

Thanks for looking!

SLQ.jpg

DSC_3387.JPG

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME Mark!!!!! If only you had headed east instead of south Sunday. Glad you went
back there today with Niel. I really liked huntining that spot and your hunch paid off.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll meet you there in the morning ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOW whose the dog??? :icon_thumright:

Wow those are nice.
Great detail on the 1926 SLQ and the 1910 Barber.
Congratz!

(slipping back into jealous mode...)

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Wow!! I wonder if there was a treehouse up there back in the day. I found signs of a really old treehouse up a huge tree in the woods last year and detected around the tree and found an 1890 V right on the surface at the base of the tree.

What a stellar group of coins, Mark. Of all regularly-issued 20th century silver, the SLQ is by far the hardest for me to find...two in 1994 and one in 2008 and that's it!! Go back there and see what else is there!!

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds buddy, yes go back and pound that spot good!!! :icon_pirat:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Awesome digs! Take that spot to the bank!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 26!

You guys in Illinois have all the $!

Seriously, there has to be a story.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I am so MISSING OUT this year! Hopefully I can rebound next year. Great finds Mark! A pocket spill with not one but two hard to find coins is excellent!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a most excellent hunt. :thumbsup:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice Finds!
Believe it or not, I am still waiting on an SLQ, although I've found tons of other less common coins. Your 1926 SLQ looks like its in great shape. That would excite me more than a Barber dime...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Brett said:
I am so MISSING OUT this year! Hopefully I can rebound next year. Great finds Mark! A pocket spill with not one but two hard to find coins is excellent!

Brett! Where've you been? Yeah man, i've been really busy too but I've snuck out a bit this year. Don't worry bro, I know you'll come back with a vengeance!! Hope to see you out there soon!

Joe

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Looking at those finds, I can't believe we were on the same hunt! :icon_scratch:

I think I had my coil set to "Repel"! ;D

Thanks for calling me over to see that SLQ in the dirt! That makes two double SLQ spills for you, and I was there for both of them. :thumbsup:

To think I said "Wouldn't it be something if there was another one in that hole?" after you dug the first one. I'm going to have to start charging for that service. :)

Great finds, Mark - and that '26 is a stunner!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
Looking at those finds, I can't believe we were on the same hunt! :icon_scratch:

I think I had my coil set to "Repel"! ;D

Thanks for calling me over to see that SLQ in the dirt! That makes two double SLQ spills for you, and I was there for both of them. :thumbsup:

To think I said "Wouldn't it be something if there was another one in that hole?" after you dug the first one. I'm going to have to start charging for that service. :)

Great finds, Mark - and that '26 is a stunner!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

After that first SLQ, I was definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a second silver.
The interesting thing was, the Wheat I recovered before digging that first SLQ was masking those silvers. . . once I
got it out of the hole, the silver rang up the way it should.

Thanks again for the insitu photo :thumbsup:

p2c said:
Nice Finds!
Believe it or not, I am still waiting on an SLQ, although I've found tons of other less common coins. Your 1926 SLQ looks like its in great shape. That would excite me more than a Barber dime...

Yep, I agree with you 100%.

twistidd said:
Wow!! I wonder if there was a treehouse up there back in the day. I found signs of a really old treehouse up a huge tree in the woods last year and detected around the tree and found an 1890 V right on the surface at the base of the tree.

What a stellar group of coins, Mark. Of all regularly-issued 20th century silver, the SLQ is by far the hardest for me to find...two in 1994 and one in 2008 and that's it!! Go back there and see what else is there!!

Joe

It's interesting you mentioned that. . . when I saw those huge trees, I thought about that "treehouse" recovery of yours from last year.

Bum Luck said:
Nice 26!
You guys in Illinois have all the $!
Seriously, there has to be a story.

Anytime you can make it down to this area, let us know. . . I'm sure one of us can take you to a spot or two.

Thanks again for the comments!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the slq's , you sure find a few of those each year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread