Blower to Puffer Conversion

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to end the noise from my 2 cycle blower motor and convert my drywasher over to the pleasant sound of a puffer.
While I was thinking about the conversion I wanted to try a new way of operating the bellows that would eliminate the use of the two pulleys and belt with associated linkage.

I have always been fascinated with stamp mills and had the idea that I could operate the bellows by using a cam just like the cam that would raise the stamp rod and then let it drop onto the ore.

Here is the diagram of the improved version of stamp mill cam that I used for my design.
The cam I made was from wood and I used double sided tape to attach a thin strip of Teflon onto the bottom of the bellows to prevent friction.

cam1.png
cam2.jpg

Next I wanted a way to regulate the rpm of the cam so I ordered a 12V motor speed controller. $12.06 e-bay
spcontrol.jpg

The motor I chose is a two speed windshield washer motor for 1987-1995 Jeep. $28.78 e-bay
Because of the built in gear ratio I am able to go direct drive.
motor.jpg

For the Battery I chose a small AGM 12v. 22 amp hour deep cycle. $42.99 e-bay
battery.jpg

Here is a photo of the drywasher before the conversion.
blower01.jpg

Here it is after the conversion..........

puff3.jpg
puff1.jpg
puff5.jpg

Bellows closed .............................Bellows open
The cam has a 6" lift.

I wish I had it on video because the sound is so cool when the bellows drops off the cam and of course the thump when the bellows hits bottom helps send the gold to the bottom of the dirt. I used a length of cord inside the air chamber attached to the floor of the bellows to limit the drop and eliminate strain on the canvas.

The amount of action on the sluice was a bit surprising. The cam and the resulting thump created more movement in the sluice than I had anticipated which was an unexpected plus. I really have to get this thing on video as soon as I can get back out to the claims.

Go for the gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a couple of big Keen puffers at my school in AZ, and I could run them 6 - 7-hours on a motorcycle battery! Love your design! :hello2:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
what cloth did you use on the bellows?
brad

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what cloth did you use on the bellows?
brad

It's a lightweight waterproof duck canvas (10 oz.) that a friend had leftover from re canvassing his bellows.
I would recommend a heavier weight at least 20 oz. but not over 24 oz. I dont think mine will last very long.

GG~

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Why didnt I think of that ????:occasion14::thumbsup::headbang::icon_thumleft: really a nice job ! Buddy I have some thick UHMW I'll give you to use as that alum bump. send me a email picture of the part needed. I have a new email addy and I'll pm it to you.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookin good. Any idea what RPM you can get out of that. Some wipers are faster than others.

It runs 45 RPM on low and 140 RPM on high. I run it on high and use the controller to reduce the rpm's, plus the controller really comes in handy for controlling the flow from the bilge pump to my blue bowl way better than using a ball valve plus no strain on the pump or battery :icon_thumleft:

Originally I tried to run it at the 45 rpm speed but found that to be way too slow so I wired the motor to run on high speed and use the controller to adjust the rpm's and it worked fine after that. Yellow and green wires for high speed, black and green wires for low speed. Positive to yellow or black, negative to green.

GG~

Last edited:

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great Thank you.
Been looking for something about 60 RPM and up.
Was using fan motors from old Chevys but they keep jacking up the price.
Thanks again!!!

AJones

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Innovative. look forward to a vid running material....with sound please!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Innovative. look forward to a vid running material....with sound please!

Poor quality video shot on my old school cellphone, but you get the idea.
That's one of my prospecting buddies, Ray in the background.
It was 110 degrees so we were taking it slow and easy running the DW in the shade under a canopy.
The sound it makes may be annoying to some but I like it. Much less annoying than a two cycle leaf blower. Just enough thump to remind me of a one stamp mill.

I adjusted the sluice to be more downhill after I shot the video, it processed the material much faster after that.
We did get a little color but we only ran 3 five gallon buckets. Spent the rest of the day driving the Jeep with the AC on high, 4 wheeling around the nearby mountains looking for prospects.

Go for the Gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice I like the design -- In the vid it looks like too much air is
escaping as the riffles are not loaded enough. I made a similar
one that I named Chester the tester and used a skateboard wheel that
hit the bottom of the bellows that ran on a 12 volt drill.
Question - what is the length of your bellows (up & down motion)
and did you make a dead air space in front of the riffles ?
Cheers Mike

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I like the design -- In the vid it looks like too much air is
escaping as the riffles are not loaded enough. I made a similar
one that I named Chester the tester and used a skateboard wheel that
hit the bottom of the bellows that ran on a 12 volt drill.
Question - what is the length of your bellows (up & down motion)
and did you make a dead air space in front of the riffles ?
Cheers Mike

Thanks for the comments/questions, Mike :icon_thumleft:

The reason the riffles were not loaded is because I wasn't feeding the hopper while shooting the vid, except for the last 2 seconds when I added a scoop you can see the first two riffles just starting to load. I shut the video off way too soon to see it running with all of them loaded.
I guess I was more focused on videoing the sound and the cam and the bellows working plus the movement of the sluice rather than on running material, my bad.

6" is the lift on the bellows from open to closed.

And yes I am a firm believer in the dead air space in front of the riffles.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw a piece of rubber belting on the bottom of the bellows and that will deaden the sound a bunch.
Looking Good :)

Thanks for the tip Reed :icon_thumright:

I also performed another tweak that should help. Noticed that the puff was not up to par, so I replaced the heavy rubber flap with a light weight version.
Should let in more air on the down stroke than what the heavy flap would allow which should increase the volume of puff on the upstroke.

Used your idea and cut a strip off the heavy rubber flap to use on the bottom of the bellows to deaden the sound.
Will shoot another video on the next outing to show how the mods worked out.

This time I will continue feeding the hopper and video paydirt running down the sluice with a full load.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as I thought, my light weight canvas bellows already has holes and needs to be replaced.
Did some research on canvas and it seems 32oz per square yard is the heaviest made.

I was planning on going with 26oz. but I could only find it available in 48" wide so I would have to buy 2 yards to get the length I need.
24oz comes in 72" width so I may opt for a yard of that, just not sure it would be heavy enough. Of course 24oz would be more than double the weight of the 10oz I used.

This will only be the second bellows I have made and am open for suggestions from those with more experience.
Not something I am fond of replacing and I want this next one to last a long long time.

Thanks,
GG~

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
the last one i made i cut up a heavy air mattress,works good.but i wish i knew what keene uses.last time i ask pat he said he was having a hard time getting the right stuff,and no he would not tell me what is was.my is a big home made 12 volt

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe Bill (Thompson) used some kind of marine canvas for his bellows.........works great and seem to handle the wear.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the last one i made i cut up a heavy air mattress,works good.but i wish i knew what keene uses.last time i ask pat he said he was having a hard time getting the right stuff,and no he would not tell me what is was.my is a big home made 12 volt

Gotta take everything Pat says with a grain of salt anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread