Blown crown top soda stopper type?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this unembossed soda this past week at a turn of the century pit and was wondering if anybody could verify if this would have had a wire stopper originally. The maker's mark is an S in a circle which may indicate Sneath, Swindell or Sterling but not sure if they made soda bottles or not. Also the seam is awfully prominent on this one, more so than others I dig.There seems to be some wear mark around the crown where there may have been a wire bail, but not really sure if these early sodas had bails on the crown tops or was it just beers? Maybe I am just seeing things wrong.Thanks for lookin vn

DSC01393.JPG DSC01419.JPG

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Many bottlers who switched over to crown top bottles were frugal and didn't want to toss out all their remaining lightning stoppers, so instead of buying bottle caps and the capping machine they used up their entire stock of lightning stoppers first. Also many people who re-purposed bottles they had in their homes used lightning stoppers they had saved for all kinds of liquids, not just soda, beer or mineral water...

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense. I just wasn't sure if that wear line that I see around the crown was from the lipping tool or from a lightning stopper. Thanks for the insight EP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions