bluegrd.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 23,934
Upvote 0

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Hmmm, Here in north Georgia the blue clay we have is decomposed bedrock. Some of it has small amounts of quartz in it and could contain a little gold. When I run it through my sluice or highbanker it produces a lot of black sand also. What I look for is the gravel layer sitting on top of the clay, which usually contains most of the gold. Gold has a hard time settling down in the clay and most of it sits on top. Also clat can pull gold out of your equipment, so be careful of running it through it. Hope this helps.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear hmmm;
As far as I know, blue clay, or blue lead (rhymes with SEED) was a prominent feature in 49er geology and the early prospectors had a very difficult time separating the gold from the blue lead material. The reason why the clay is blue colored is most likely because contains high amounts of silver.

The 49ers called the clay *blue lead* because often times it contained high concentrations of gold, therefore they would follow it and it would *lead* them to gold. If you are recovering large amounts of black sand in the blue lead then that could be a VERY good indicator that gold is also in the immediate vicinity. I like to find high concentrations of black sand because I can usually find gold in the immediate area as well.
Your friend;
LAMAR

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey humm….When I researched blue clay I found that it was ash from very early volcanoes. In California when I would find blue clay the gold would be on top of it or in the first few inches of the clay. Be careful as this stuff will rob you blind when it goes through a sluice…Art

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes here in the Mother Lode,the blue clay is a very good sign and most always has gold in it.As said,it had a lot of historical significance as well for that reason.In the ancient river channels any clay layer holds gold.I was working in some very rich black clay a couple years ago that stained my hands black...they were black for a couple days!!!Come to find out it was decomposing graphitic shist.Up on the Yuba I look out for the red clay.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
In alot of cases the blue clay was slate that decomposed,so that is why one finds rough quartz in it from the various stringers,veins,veinlets that decomposed...the right one for the lucky will contain very rough gold.Check those fines/small specks with a loupe.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know your state so makes it harder. But the ol'blue cut produces some FINE rough gold in the california motherlode region,and others. East of the rockies might be different but seen enough tv shows/books/articles on gem/mineral hunting back east to know that quite a few good things go on back there too. What state/county r u n?? That doesn't disclose anything BUT gives you a MUCH improved chance of getting more accurate info-Tons a au 2 u2 -John

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS GUYS
this site is on vancover island canada, its located in a refugium, never been under a glacier. according to the local prospector who first found it, there was a quartz vein sticking out of the bedrock under the blue ground. he claimed there was gold in the quartz, but said when he went back and a slide had covered it and he never dug it out. and never staked it. this happened just befor the ww1. the blue clay has gravel in it and is mostly quartz and magnatite.
hmmm

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Take the clay and put it in a bucket with water and break it up really good you can use a whipping tool on the end of a drill also to break it all apart then sluice or pan it out. Let us know what you find sounds like a very interesting spot .

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI GUYS
i have panned it out, its loaded with quartz, black sand , magnatite rocks and pyrite.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
i hear that blue clay could be a indicator of diamonds.

Are you thinking of blue-ground kimberlite??
That's what I was thinking of, and it does look somewhat similar.

Bran <><

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Here in TN the blue clay is decomposed bedrock and if you are dredging you will see white veins running through it i found this to be decomposed quartz veins and if you use you blaster nozzle to dissolve it and let the dredge suck it all up you will have some good looking gold in the sluice when you are done.Also most of the gold in the blue clay layer is rough and chunky.Dig down till you hit the clay then just keep widdening your hole taking the gravels from on top of the clay and about the first two or three inches of the clay,thats how i do it when im panning,, hope this helps

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the the info guys, its no wounder why the loggers buried the blue cley on me years ago, greed, they wanted it all for them selves. :-[

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
Thanks for the the info guys, its no wounder why the loggers buried the blue cley on me years ago, greed, they wanted it all for them selves. :-[
or want you tresspassing

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoked Bacon Sweater Vest Elf said:
hmmm said:
or want you tresspassing

I wantent trespassing, i held title and do still do.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
hmmm said:
or want you tresspassing

geological surveys of your area are available from the state/provincial authorities
do the detective work or are the geological authorities out to cover up the something also

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was deer hunting over in Arkansas last year and I noticed that the tires on my 4X4 were covered with blue clay after a short trail ride . My brother-in-law says the clay turns blue when moisture is present and it is exposed to the rubber in a tire. I can only wonder at what is causing this? Not trying to hijack your post, just similar circumstances. Monty

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
hmmm said:
or want you tresspassing

geological surveys of your area are available from the state/provincial authorities
do the detective work or are the geological authorities out to cover up the something also
there was a geologist who did a test on some blue cley localy, ill try get the results. AND YES, THE GOVERMENT WORKS DIRECTLY WITH THE BIG COMPANYS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread