Blue.White china shard - would love to know pattern, have looked everywhere!

Rachel702

Jul 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the side of a river bank. I've scoured books and online databases of patterns with no luck at finding this lovely lady.

Can anyone help? china.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like tin glazed Delft pottery. It was made by the Dutch and spans a long, long time frame. What state are you in? That will help nail it down. If on US east coast could be 17th or 18th century, but the outfits look more 19th century style.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rachel702

Jul 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like tin glazed Delft pottery. It was made by the Dutch and spans a long, long time frame. What state are you in? That will help nail it down. If on US east coast could be 17th or 18th century, but the outfits look more 19th century style.

Hi, im actually in the UK!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be tin glazed delft ware, a lot of it was hand painted so there would not be a specific pattern. Staffordshire ware is not as thick and is harder and more dense and has a white interior. Chinese export porcelain is also thinner. It is not Whieldon.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a complete Delft plate, late 17th to 18th century. Try to zoom in on the edges, you'll see the same type materials used. View attachment IMG_0640.jpg Richard Hennery on youtube does a lot on Thames pottery finds. Check out his videos. It may help.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a better example (I only have these two complete items). It is a Dutch tile dated 1700 and shows a musketman. At the edge you can see the same color as on your piece. IMG_1920.JPG

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off topic - but the pen your are showing - i got one in my christmas stocking when
I was like 6 - had the green pen out on it an was running around house with it - i tripped and fell and it got stuck
in the side of my nostril - only "tatoo" i have is a green dot that I have had to live with for 50 yrs
true story

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
off topic - but the pen your are showing - i got one in my christmas stocking when
I was like 6 - had the green pen out on it an was running around house with it - i tripped and fell and it got stuck
in the side of my nostril - only "tatoo" i have is a green dot that I have had to live with for 50 yrs
true story

Ouch! Pictures or it didn't happen. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions