Bluffing on the "Do you have an account with us?"

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Bluffing on the "Do you have an account with us?"

Curious if anyone dumps at a non member banks and if so, do you say yes when they ask you if you have an account? I have gone to several banks in the past 2 days where I am asked if I have an account, and I do not have the nerve to say yes for fear of being really embarrassed if they try to look it up. I have accounts at two banks with multiple branches near me and I sometimes am asked if I have an account there when I dump - I say yes and they just go and count the coins and never look it up, however, 2 weeks ago the teller did ask me my name and looked up my accounts before she counted.

Does anyone here try to dump at banks they do not have accounts at? If the teller asks if you have an account, do you say no and walk out or do you get your poker face on and say - Of course....and hope they do not ask you your name so they can look it up. I have decided to not even try to go to non member banks to dump as every one I have tried always asks me if I have an account, and I would be filled with anxiety after I said yes wondering if the next thing out of the tellers mouth was, "and what is your name, sir?"

Upvote 0
Re: Bluffing on the "Do you have an account with us?"

I have never tried this to dump, but ALWAYS do this to buy rolled coin. I was only called on it once in the past year....most tellers I encounter don't care and just sell me whatever coin I need.

HH,
cuttybce

Yeah, I always buy from banks I do not have an account at. Sometimes I am asked, but when I say no, they still sell me what I ask for. I have only been turned down one time.

I only dump at banks where I have an account. When buying, if they ask, I tell them the truth.

Why is your cat so angry?? I don't think I've ever seen a cat so mad. I've got a cat that looks like yours, except she's really sweet. My wife calls her "her soul cat".

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

If a teller asks, I just say I do not have an account. 99% of the time I can order/get what I want (boxes or bags)--account or no account. In fact, I just opened an account at a bank that allowed me to order up to 5 boxes when ever I wanted without an account. They even take the boxes out to my car. They were so nice, I just figured I would help out a very sweet teller cause some banks give their employees extra dollars for opening up new accounts. Plus, I am sure they were banking on the fact that someday I would open an account because of their good service. If that was the case, then they were right. All of my banks (except those that are inside other establishments) bring my boxes to my car--even one bank allows me to pick up after hours (well, the drive thru is open). I think it really is just the way you present yourself--regardless of whether or not one has an account: good manners and traditional hospitality goes a long way around my neck of the woods.

Just my humble thoughts and comments,
apush :read2:

Being caught lying guarantees you get no help from that person or at the very least they arent happy to see you again. Just tell the truth and say, im sorry i wasnt aware i needed an account to exchange coin, or dump coin, or buy coin. Every single time ive been asked i say that with a polite smile and 100 percent the teller has said i do not need an account.

Remember most of the time these folks are asking because they dont recognize you as a customer and are thinking of making you one. They arent trying to catch you finding silver like it feels , haha.

Well said JD-GA,
apush

im always honest.....never been refused to buy boxes or rolls or loose halves/dollars from them, and if a bank does agree to order me many boxes weekly, i will open an account.....i sometimes even open my account under the agreement that i will be ordering like say $1,000 coins a week for example (thats not my order amount...imma not reveal my real amount due to it being confidential), or dumping say $1,000 a week etc., and they have never had a problem, and my order always comes in ;D
keep it up and hh!

I always dump at a bank where I have an account. When buying, if asked - which is rare - I always answer truthfully. Only once has it mattered. Just last week I was in a bank and learned they had a coin counter (wasn't self-service). I inquired about buying the bag and was asked if I had an account with them. I didn't. The head teller politely informed me that they only sell bags off the machine to account holders. So, I opened a savings account and they happily sold me the bag.

Kantuckkeean said:
Why is your cat so angry?? I don't think I've ever seen a cat so mad. I've got a cat that looks like yours, except she's really sweet. My wife calls her "her soul cat".

I hate cats...although they are tasty over a bed of rice.

Even though I am new to this hobby, I always tell the truth when asked. I am ALWAYS polite, and try to smile a lot.

An old timer in sales once gave me some of the greatest advice: Smile all the time when you talk, even when you are delivering bad news. Smiling when asking a favor will get your wish granted 9 times out of 10.

clovis97 said:
Even though I am new to this hobby, I always tell the truth when asked. I am ALWAYS polite, and try to smile a lot.

An old timer in sales once gave me some of the greatest advice: Smile all the time when you talk, even when you are delivering bad news. Smiling when asking a favor will get your wish granted 9 times out of 10.

Thats the best route to get what you want..Im very personalble with the people and joke about how im a big kid that cant grow up

I usually have no problem buying from any banks. And the big cloth bags with the banks name on it are nice too. One time I had a lot of coin to dump but wasn't a member of the banks in this town. I picked a bag with a banks logo that was in the town and loaded it up with halfs. Then walked in and placed it on the counter with their own logo facing them and said I had some coins to turn in. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to lie. I have a collection of about 8 different cloth bags from area banks.

Personally I don't call it "bluffing" if they ask if you have an account and you say yes when you do not.

I call it "lying".

And it seems like it is not just me, but MOST of the people on this forum, at least from teh replies above. So good for us!

:icon_thumleft:

(BUT ... I have opened some small accounts at NUMEROUS banks JUST so I can say yes if asked. Not bluffing, not lying, and even though they don't ask hardly ever I knows that if they DO, the REAL answer is "yes".)

:-)

I agree with everyone who has posted here and just want to make it clear, I posted this just to get members opinions and do not want people to think I am doing this, or am on the fence as to what the right thing to do is. I only ask because of the examples I gave in my initial post. I just opened another account today at a bank today that has 8 branches in my area, making the dumps much more easy!

Just setting the record straight as it seemed like maybe my post was being taken the wrong way.

Thanks

Now I like kd5txx's method!
Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back