blunts......oh and axes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didnt want to hijack the tool id post....i have a few blunts in my collection that im sure are for hunting and not reworked into scrapers. they were are no different than todays blunts for arrows. you dont just hurt and animal with one, just cause its not sharp doesnt mean it wont kill, a thump from one of these will take down small game no problem. i have watched a rabbit run off with a arrow because the sharp point didnt hit a vital, but a non penatration hit will break bones or knock em out. easy to see some of you only '' hunt'' artifacts. on a side note i learned as an eagle scout the most important thing in camp is the hatchet so dont throw out those "blanks" or "used cores" or whatever they are being called cause i think there are a lot more axe heads out there than some of you realize. they are a multifunction tool that YOU may not need much around the house but live outdoors for a while and you will see how many tasks can be done with them, different shapes, sizes, sharpnesses. hardstone grooved axes have their place but they chopped alot more than wood, and that is where the flint comes in, the jobs that dont need that straight smooth edge.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didnt want to hijack the tool id post....i have a few blunts in my collection that im sure are for hunting and not reworked into scrapers. they were are no different than todays blunts for arrows. you dont just hurt and animal with one, just cause its not sharp doesnt mean it wont kill, a thump from one of these will take down small game no problem. i have watched a rabbit run off with a arrow because the sharp point didnt hit a vital, but a non penatration hit will break bones or knock em out. easy to see some of you only '' hunt'' artifacts. on a side note i learned as an eagle scout the most important thing in camp is the hatchet so dont throw out those "blanks" or "used cores" or whatever they are being called cause i think there are a lot more axe heads out there than some of you realize. they are a multifunction tool that YOU may not need much around the house but live outdoors for a while and you will see how many tasks can be done with them, different shapes, sizes, sharpnesses. hardstone grooved axes have their place but they chopped alot more than wood, and that is where the flint comes in, the jobs that dont need that straight smooth edge.

Read that..
I know you're a new member but you started a thread basically bashing other members opinions,knowlage and experience from previous threads.."it's easy to see some of you only "hunt" artifacts"...
I guess I will be that one person that showed some off putting...that's fine... myself and several others still try to help you after that... then came more disrespectful statements .. now I'm Gatorbaby.
.. that's a good one.
It would have been my last post if you didn't carry on behind my back basically..quoting me.

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
When you launch a hafted scraper from a bow it tends to drift one way or the other, making it very hard to hit small game at any distance. Thats why you would just use a blunt arrow shaft. Kinda like throwing a balsa wood plane backwards, just doesn't work to well. Ever seen a impact fracture on a hafted scraper? Neither have I. Not saying someone hasn't tried, just saying probably not the norm. Who throws away preforms and cores? I might not pick up every core I find because there a just too many around here. If they used every little piece worked down to nothing, how do you explain the tons of Jasper, Quarts and Rhyolite flakes all over my property, and a few of the surrounding hilltops? And, if you would like to see a few pieces given up on because of a funny grain, or a "stack" just let me know, I have a few.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never said those thing didnt happen, i have in my collection two "blunts" that are identical. they are not scrapers and would fly the same as if they were sharp, I AM GUESSING, i also have flakes that im sure were never used for anything. why are you so sure there were no blunt arrowheads b.p. ? i am not claiming to know all, i am claiming even the most expert person alive does not know everything about what happened thousands of years ago and theorys exist on all subjects, thats how we figure stuff out, right? plenty of history was written as fact until hundreds of years later someone had a different idea that they were able to prove and change what everyone took as fact up until that point....i may be wrong and i can say it live with it and not even feel bad, some people have a harder time accepting that THEY may be mistaken, IM GUESSING

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to YOU.
Just exactly who is mistaken?
YOU? no..
How many people does it take to try in so many different ways to explain the same things?
You should get out a calculator to add up the years of experience that have taken their time to offer their knowlage to you...a new member..on this thread....even with all the rude comments.

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
i never said those thing didnt happen, i have in my collection two "blunts" that are identical. they are not scrapers and would fly the same as if they were sharp, I AM GUESSING, i also have flakes that im sure were never used for anything. why are you so sure there were no blunt arrowheads b.p. ? i am not claiming to know all, i am claiming even the most expert person alive does not know everything about what happened thousands of years ago and theorys exist on all subjects, thats how we figure stuff out, right? plenty of history was written as fact until hundreds of years later someone had a different idea that they were able to prove and change what everyone took as fact up until that point....i may be wrong and i can say it live with it and not even feel bad, some people have a harder time accepting that THEY may be mistaken, IM GUESSING

Maybe you should read my post again, I said probably not the norm.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read that..
I know you're a new member but you started a thread basically bashing other members opinions,knowlage and experience from previous threads.."it's easy to see some of you only "hunt" artifacts"...
I guess I will be that one person that showed some off putting...that's fine... myself and several others still try to help you after that... then came more disrespectful statements .. now I'm Gatorbaby.
.. that's a good one.
It would have been my last post if you didn't carry on behind my back basically..quoting me.

Gator, last I looked your not a mod here, if you feel someone is bashing or insulting a thread or members you report it, you do not get into a flame war with another member or insult their experience or knowledge. :banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies .. have you read this entire thread?
Then picked out that?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree why argue every time and fan the flames. All we do is get an inbox full of complaints when we get home. If one does not agree post facts or ideas or just let it go.Don't argue it. This thread has had every mod have to come in at one time or another . We should be able to discuss anything and post the info we have without making it personal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread