devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Save. This is a tag for Fisher Body. These were placed on the chrome piece running along the bottom of the door seals as you enter the vehicle. My Dad retired from Fisher Body Chevrolet Lakewood Plant in Atlanta, GA. after 33 years. The plant was demolished back in the 90's. Congrat's, and Thanks for sharing. This brought back a lot of memories, and a smile to my face. :icon_thumleft: 🇺🇸

Upvote 8

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see what you mean. I only spent a few minutes searching but I couldn't find a left facing version of this emblem.
Also, When I enlarged your picture, it almost looks "double struck" for lack of a better term.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean. I only spent a few minutes searching but I couldn't find a left facing version of this emblem.
Also, When I enlarged your picture, it almost looks "double struck" for lack of a better term.
I wonder if it is rare and possibly of value.

Upvote 1
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is a flat plate is painted then embossed by pressure from the back. It didn't line up exactly.

Upvote 3
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 2

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some looking and can't find this version either.

My guess it's either a cheap Chinese repro or someone came to work that day still drunk from the previous night's bender.

Upvote 2

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing I thought was it depends on which side of the vehicle it is on, but very hard to find one heading left. But it looks like some of the trim emblems are side specific:

Looks like you can still buy new ones for restorations.

The car trim/moldings would be side specific but the emblems don't appear to be side specific and they wouldn't need to be.

I looked some more and I haven't seen an example of the left facing carriage. I hope someone here can shed some light on it.

Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But none of those listed have the front wheels on the left.
Thanks for pointing that out for me. 👍
I shouldn't do things from the phone.😁

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. Just another body by fisher tag I think. But in researching the tags all I could find were tags with the front wheels on the right but this one has the front wheels on the left. Any ideas???
Picture of the back

Attachments

• IMG_5606.jpeg
    IMG_5606.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Upvote 1

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Merf,
I too could not locate a left facing carriage, I wonder if this Tag represented a GM Body built in an England Fisher Plant?
The English have been known to drive on the otherside of the road!

Upvote 3

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was always my understanding that Fisher was a carriage company that started making bodies for cars? I have seen a Fisher carriage in a private museum in North Carolina.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was always my understanding that Fisher was a carriage company that started making bodies for cars? I have seen a Fisher carriage in a private museum in North Carolina.

That’s right, although the automobile company was separate from the horse-drawn company as a logical offshoot when demand for automobiles began overtaking demand for horse-carriages. Fisher Body's beginnings trace back to a horse-drawn carriage shop in Norwalk, Ohio, in the late 1800s operated by Lawrence P. Fisher and his wife.

Fisher Body as an automobile coach builder was subsequently formed by two of his sons, Fred and Charles Fisher, in 1908 in Detroit, Michigan. From 1910, they became sole supplier of closed bodies for Cadillac, Buick, Oakland and Oldsmobile and by 1913 had Ford, Krit, Chalmers, General Motors, and Studebaker as customers.

In 1919 General Motors bought 60% of the company and integrated it as their in-house coachbuilding division in 1926. GM used the “Body by Fisher” emblem on their door sill plates until the Fisher Body Division was dissolved during GM’s 1984 restructuring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting