BONANZA

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
med.jpg

In the center is a Caduceus, medical. He's an Officer with booze and cigars...maybe a Doctor?

I found this...
http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/medic/medicranks.htm

neil

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
Hi all,

Not Medical. He was Admin. The WWII German shoulder symbol for Medical was the same but without wings.

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H79454.html

Much being published about this find on other forums as well. There's plenty who believe it but there are plenty who think it's staged as well. I personally have no opinion either way.

Cheers,
Greg

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
ya know Greg..... I was kinda wondering about that, everything that I found also showed only the staff and snake emblem, so I was starting to question the full caduceus. I later did find a photo of one but without information about it, so I knew it was possible.
The thing that gets me, is the caduceus in the pic look the very same as the one that I wear on my uniform today (ambulance)... kinda scary!

I've been to some of the WW-II forums where posts of the authenticity of this find was in question, but I'm just not seeing it. You have a steel box with a rubber gasket buried in hard dirt, rust right up to the rubber seal, contents intact. Nahabit knows the area, what condition should a find be in from that location? That's the opinion I'm intrested in...not someone saying it's planted just because of how clean the diggers boots are. So.......

By the way, has anyone researched this guy, look like there's enough information for a start.

neil

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off the Stuff Nearest to the Edges may be Soiled or have Mildew,
And if you look some does.

They may have Repacked, after a Frenzied Look through, to Take Pictures.
I know I wouldn't have Calmly Taken Pics first.
I would have Been Too Excited.

Second "WE" at TreasureNet Respect members and trust their Honesty.

'nuff said

Jeff

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
jeff of pa said:
Second "WE" at TreasureNet Respect members and trust their Honesty

I agree Jeff. A forum is for the discussion of facts, to learn from each other [and to give kudos to a good find!]. To question something is good, that's how we learn. God knows we all have opinions, but making "accusations" based on unknowing opinions teaches us nothing.

neil

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
About soil- In fact in this region soil it is a 80% of SAND and 20% of soil, I know this area and I was born near this place. This is the very famous place please read this link about this place!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenbeil_Kessel

Im sure that this box&uniforms and others items are TRUTH , I have a many friends from Kaliningrad and I can to ask them about it

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!!!
Oh man, to dig up that kind of history... just wow?!
That's all museum quality materials. And for the person that wore that uniform to actually have put all he had in that box...
man, you're one lucky guy!!! Good job & great find!!

Bran <><

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wolfpaw518 said:
med.jpg

In the center is a Caduceus, medical. He's an Officer with booze and cigars...maybe a Doctor?

I found this...
http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/medic/medicranks.htm

neil

He was a Paymaster with the Brevet rank of Hauptmann (Captain). He was still being PAID as an Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant) but carried the authority of a Hauptmann. If he were a full Hauptmann, both of his pips would have been silver. I wonder if he survived the war? My guess is no, The Eastern Front was a meatgrinder. But he could have been wounded and evacuated to the rear and someone else buried his personal effects when they were about to be overrun. Masybe there's more footlockers like this one buried in the area! Then yet again, since he was an admin officer he probably wasn't too proficient at the combat thing so maybe he went to cut wood in Siberia until he croaked or was repatriated, whichever came first.

The US Army did the same thing in the past. George Armstrong Custer was a Brevet major General but his actual rank and paygrade was Lieutenant Colonel when he was killed. His marker at Little Bighorn shows his actual rank of LtCol.

I think the find is authentic. Like nahabit said, the soil in that area is very sandy so there was less moisture in the ground.

I once pulled a Flying Eagle Cent from soil like that and it wasn't green and crusty and pitted the way most Fatties and Nickels are when you dig them.

HH,
SgtSki

blackbird939

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
HOLY <bleeeep> !!!!

If it's real, I would have hung up the detector and retired. No way to beat it. Quite literally a dream come true for me and many many others.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
seems to me that the person that buried that chest hads to--- contraband items
he or she was tring to hide the past, maybe from war crimes, troubled past, couldn't
get no sleep or something, BUT OVERALL :thumbsup:

HISTORY IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL ;D

CONGRATS, DIDDOS, KUDOES, ATTABOY etc....

M L HUDSON

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find - well done. It's a time capsule of an individual.

Mike

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
mlhudson said:
seems to me that the person that buried that chest hads to--- contraband items
he or she was tring to hide the past, maybe from war crimes, troubled past, couldn't
get no sleep or something, BUT OVERALL :thumbsup:

HISTORY IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL ;D

CONGRATS, DIDDOS, KUDOES, ATTABOY etc....

M L HUDSON
If I was hiding the past, I would not have put the booze or the cigs in with the clothing... I would of been drinking it and smoking them as I was digging LOL....

Awesome find!

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
I would have to have tried at least one of the cigars to see if they aged well!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread